• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sheet metal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gusdagoos

I want to use sheet metal to make mods on my case but i dont know what tools are good for cutting the metal and wouldnt the edges be rough after? just want some tips on how to use sheet metal........

What guage of sheet metal are you wanting to use? Alot of the time people "rap" the edges of sheetmetal to give a nice rounded finish.
Raping involes making the cut 1/4inch larger all the way around, then bending the metal under itself, then pounding it flat. This gives a nice rounded look, compaired to just cutting it.

High guage sheet metal (14guage and up) can be cut with just Tin Snips from home depot.

yea thats a good idea...what would you say is a decent size for computer cases....i would want it to be the same as what normal panels are on a computer..

if you want to build a custom case, don't be lazy and read all the stickies first, i mean the posts in the top of this forum. you seem particularly interested in the Dremel Guide. good luck!

emilio

i want to cut the metal on the top of my case so i can put a wndow....whats good to use on metal to get a good cut? i used a jigsaw on the side but took long, maybe i had the wrong blade.....

with a good blade the Jigsaw should power thru the case with ease so make sure to get the proper bits. If they are for wood then I could see it being slow and possibly leaving a rough cut.

You shouldn't have to worry about rough edges if you use the right blade, but if then you still have roughness I usually use a rasp to smooth it up.

anyone know of any good sites that show you how to build a computer case with any kind of material

Back