• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS and Newegg, WTF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Newegg Support said:
...or call (800) 390-1119 ext. 2050...
Thanks,

Aaron Aragonez
Newegg Customer Support

Nathan, here it is. (Quoted from page 2.)

steve

skou said:
Since a double negative is not a legitimate part of speech, how was I supposed to know what he really meant? (Or, how do you know?)

steve

By reading it? It's pretty clear. When you have an idea in your head it can bias how you read things, so maybe you should take it a little slower?

Well I recently baught a Saitek Eclipse Keyboard from Amazon.com and unless there is a new model that weights 23 lbs amazon got screwed by ups.

Should I call Amazon? it seems like this should only weight like 5 lbs max....

Considering its an Air Package they prolly charged amazon like $100 :eh?:

upspwnedamazon15zu.jpg

I have ordered from Newegg, Zipzoomfly, eBay, sidewinder, frozen cpu, and many more many times. I have had packages shipped by all the major services(UPS, FedEx, and USPS), and never had a problem with any of them. I don't know if I am lucky or what but I have always had good experiences with all of them. I don't know if it the places that your packages go through or what but I have never even had a damaged product. All the people that run my routes are EXTREMELY nice. Dont know if that is just me either. Anyway here are some examples of packages that I have on the way right now.

UPS
newpicture2sq.png

FedEx
fedex9tw.png

I will let you know if they both arrive on time. Feel free to track them yourself. The numbers are both in the picture. I just cropped them to make them fit on the page better.

stool said:
My deepest and most abiding complaint about UPS has been and continues to be that whereas when a package arrives at my local Fedex, it is immediately shipped out, while a package shipped UPS will sit in a warehouse for 1-3 days because Ground decides an arbitrary delivery date, and it "SHALL NOT PASS" until that date. I've watched too many orders sit while they could have easily been delivered.

I'd like to echo this sentiment. I ordered from Newegg on Tuesday and thought, "Hey, I'll give UPS another chance." They have been late in the past, and previously impossible to do pick-ups at their local depot.

The package arrived in town on Friday, and being anxious to get my friend's computer off the ground I decide to give UPS a call. Their local number for the depot is not listed anywhere - only the 1-800 number. I ask if I can simply go down there and pick up my package since I saw it came in. The lady simply said, "I see you have an estimated delivery date of Monday, the 20th." I replied I knew that, but told her that I would be willing to drive down there at any time and pick up the package - you know, save the driver some time and UPS some gas money. Her reply, "Your estimated delivery date is Monday, the 20th."

*Time out* Am I listening to an automated system? Did the record just break? *Time in*

Needless to say I became a little frustrated at the notion that due to the fact the computer stamped a date on there, I was unable to pick up my package. So I did what most other people that have crazy friends addicted to online computer games do - I took things into my own hands.

I went down to the local depot with my tracking number. The lady at the front desk was training someone in, but she gave me some of her divided attention. I asked her about picking my package up and she replied that she wouldn't know what truck it was on - so I couldn't get it. I knew I was getting anywhere so I informed by bud about his memory chips.

He decided to call UPS and the rep said they'd issue an emergency tracking number and the local depot would call him within an hour. He waited, and waited, and waited - well over an hour. He gave them another jingle, and the rep on the other end had no idea what he was talking about. The first rep didn't do anything. He proceded to ask what he could do at this point, the rep responded that the truck was on time lock and it couldn't be opened until Sunday night.

I thought that was the end of the fiasco until I came home Monday. I walk up to my door and see a door tag. Time on it said s/he was there at 4:29 - doh! it was about 4:35! I give UPS a quick call and ask if I can get the package someway/somehow. The lady responded that I could pick it up and the local depot would give me a call shortly. A half an hour passed before they gave me a ring, and I asked about picking up the package. The UPS rep said I could get it at 7:30. I then asked if I could go directly to the truck and have him give me the package - she said there wasn't a way to reach him and since he's doing residential deliveries it'd be very hard to find him.

7:30 - not bad. I settled for it. Showed up, the guy there said he knew right where it was, checked my ID, and gave it over. I installed the RAM in my bud's computer, reset the BIOS, and everything worked.

I guess the reason I have such a difficult time with UPS is because of it's rival - FedEx. FedEx's consistently good service has set a new mark in this industry. I have wanted to pick up a graphic card that they had on the truck, to be delivered later that day to my apartment - they said I could go pick it up. I just drove to where the lady was making deliveries and she gave me the package. FedEx's trucks come in a little earlier so I can cruise over shortly after work and grab my package. If I order '3 day shipping' from them I continually get the package in 2 days. It's the exceptionally service that has set the bar higher. I like Newegg very much - I use them for 90% of my online purchases. From now on though, even if free shipping is involved, I will also select the FedEx option.

I did hear a bit about why UPS won't give their packages up early though. A friend's uncle works there and said they're unionized and the union requires them to have at least one delivery attempt. It gives them job security. I can see that - but if that's the truth, then why the lying?

Quigsby, Stool, why do you think I'm complaining so much?

Therew are a few UPS employees that have posted in this thread, and their opinion is, "we LIKE the way UPS works."

Well, their packages aren't put in quarantine, like ours are. They can pick them up, when they come in.

I still think the stupidest thing I've ever seen, is UPS's attitude of not letting their customers have the packages as early as they can, even if they are sitting on the shelf (or probably the floor, this IS UPS) like has happened to me, on NUMEROUS times.

Say, 3 packages show up on Sundays truck or airplane, at the local warehouse. They are scheduked for Mon, Tue and Wed. Yep, the truck comes down my street on Mon, Tue and Wed!

UPS's motto, WE WILL NOT GIVE OUT PACKAGES EARLY!!

FedEx, whenever a package shows up locally, it is on the NEXT truck, whenever it is scheduled for delivery!

steve

Just an update. That UPS package was delivered on time and in great condition. Nothing appears to be broken. That FedEx package is supposed to be here the 22 and I have a USPS package that should be here the 22or23. As you all know the USPS tracking is the worst thing ever, but once again never had a problem with an item being broken or late.

Maybe I am just lucky. I don't know. I am only 16 so I hope all of my luck doesnt wear off.

I have never really had a problem with busted packages, but I can speak from experience that UPS sucks.
I order tons of stuff online, comp parts, car parts, cds, etc. Out of the last 15 guaranteed 3 day package I've had, 1 has arrived on time.
For giggles one time when I was ordering stuff my brother wanted a portable HD case for a laptop drive he had and I was ordering some ram. I shipped his UPS 3 day and mine FedEx 5 day saver, mine arrived in 3 business days from the NJ warehouse, his took 6 business days from CA Warehouse. I'm in Oregon :rolleyes:
Our company changed from UPS to FedEx and USF Reddaway because of the same reason. We do some sanitary parts for a couple of restaurant chains, sometimes they forget to order parts for their openings, or need parts to meet a inspection. Lets just say that when a their guaranteed package doesn't arrive on time and they can't open their store they are not to happy. After this happens a few dozen times you tend to change shippers, more expensive or not. Obviously UPS didn't take the $40,000+ we spend a year on shipping very seriously, so we don't take them very seriously anymore :shrug:
I only ship UPS if need the package for at least a week and a half.

skou said:
Quigsby, Stool, why do you think I'm complaining so much?

Therew are a few UPS employees that have posted in this thread, and their opinion is, "we LIKE the way UPS works."

Well, their packages aren't put in quarantine, like ours are. They can pick them up, when they come in.

I still think the stupidest thing I've ever seen, is UPS's attitude of not letting their customers have the packages as early as they can, even if they are sitting on the shelf (or probably the floor, this IS UPS) like has happened to me, on NUMEROUS times.

Say, 3 packages show up on Sundays truck or airplane, at the local warehouse. They are scheduked for Mon, Tue and Wed. Yep, the truck comes down my street on Mon, Tue and Wed!

UPS's motto, WE WILL NOT GIVE OUT PACKAGES EARLY!!

FedEx, whenever a package shows up locally, it is on the NEXT truck, whenever it is scheduled for delivery!

steve

that is quite an opinionated statement with so little factual information.
If your packages show up on friday and are processed on the twilight/sunrise sort, they will be preloaded onto a pkg car. If they are not, it is because of volume restrictions which means you probably live in a major metropolitan area. If thats the case, you'll have to live with it. I know my facility in Omaha, as for any other hub we have in my district, does not bypass into retain trailers. When a package arrives in our facility in time to be preloaded, its preloaded. It all depends on the facility's capabilities.
UPS is not out to get you, if you do not like it, do not use it. Easy as that. :rolleyes:

JD21 said:
Our company changed from UPS to FedEx and USF Reddaway because of the same reason. We do some sanitary parts for a couple of restaurant chains, sometimes they forget to order parts for their openings, or need parts to meet a inspection. Lets just say that when a their guaranteed package doesn't arrive on time and they can't open their store they are not to happy. After this happens a few dozen times you tend to change shippers, more expensive or not. Obviously UPS didn't take the $40,000+ we spend a year on shipping very seriously, so we don't take them very seriously anymore :shrug:
I only ship UPS if need the package for at least a week and a half.

UPS and FedEx time in transit footprints are a big deal to customers. FedEx can usually edge out UPS in my district in this area unless we make special upgrades to customers, which we've done. I can also think of a few instances where we've lost accounts due to it. FedEx can usually afford to have a slight advantage on facility capacity due to the poor pay they give to their drivers (ask any FedEx driver and he'll tell you they need to be unionized like UPS). They can invest more in capital that way. FedEx drivers also own their own vehicles, which alieviates alot of cost and insurance from FedEx.

I agreed with most of the guys here. UPS sucks *** big time. I just don't understand why UPS won't allow customers to get their packages early. Problem with UPS is they are always slow. For some unknown f-up reason, UPS does not include Saturday and Sunday to their delivery time. They can let the package sit 50 miles away from me for 3 days, and wait until the delivery date and then ship to me. What kind of business model is that???

palee72 said:
Just an update from my last post. It took 4 days to get my package.

4 days from the day it shipped, or 4 days from the day you ordered? And does this cross over the weekend?

The UPS 3 day select is very very deceptive. They never count the 2 weekend days. At least USPS said Priority service is up to 3 days. UPS should change the 3 day select to a different name. With a different name, then they will mention up to 5 days to be delivered. This current 3 day select name call is very misleading.

Nathan0490 said:
Aaron, I and many other Long time Newegg customers have had these type of problems as well as UPS not complying in requiring a signature when delivering a high dollar package. They usually deliver a day late and they always leave packages without requiring a signature. NO MATTER WHAT VALUE! Ive had them leave $500 packages at my door step. Ive also watched as a UPS driver pulled up to my house threw the blinds and he walked up dropped the package on the table without even KNOCKING! UPS is dispicable and us longtime Newegg customers dont understand why Newegg cant use FedEx as their primary shipping provider. When inquiring Newegg employees say the FedEx prices havent been raised. THIS IS NOT TRUE, THEY HAVE BEEN!

Thank you,
Nathan

I have had an even more disgusting experience with UPS. I received a call from a resident from another street nearby at a different address number saying that she had my $600 motherboard and cpu in her living room. They just dropped it off on her steps. Thank god this resident happened to be a nun that lived beside a church, or I might have been down a few hundred dollars.

I don't understand how this can happen. Getting the street or address wrong is conceivable, but both in one delivery is just plain wreckless and negligent in my opinion. :shrug:

I make every attempt to avoid UPS shipping.

Back