• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Type of Server for RDP hosting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duner

Hi, We're going to upgrade our current server at work. It's a celeron 2.4 (northwood core) with 3GB of ram running windows server 2000. It currently hosts 6 users via terminal services to run 1 program. It's a small client program that really just serves as a GUI to access our database on another server.

We are expanding and will need ~12 concurrent users logged in via RDP to run this 1 program. Will this be a CPU/RAM/HDD limited process? My experience running a server is quite limited.

I'm thinking of an i3 2C/4T with ?4-8GB of ram and a standard 7200rpm HDD running windows server 2008 standard edition.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Hi, We're going to upgrade our current server at work. It's a celeron 2.4 (northwood core) with 3GB of ram running windows server 2000. It currently hosts 6 users via terminal services to run 1 program. It's a small client program that really just serves as a GUI to access our database on another server.

We are expanding and will need ~12 concurrent users logged in via RDP to run this 1 program. Will this be a CPU/RAM/HDD limited process? My experience running a server is quite limited.

I'm thinking of an i3 2C/4T with ?4-8GB of ram and a standard 7200rpm HDD running windows server 2008 standard edition.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

i3 with 4gb of ram should be more than plenty if a celly northwood could handel 6 clients.

That's the thing, the Celly is not handling things well at the moment. We get some stuttering, CPU usage is pegged a lot of the time and things randomly crash so I want to make sure the new server can handle 12 clients. Just not sure how demanding that is and which part of the PC needs to be beefed up the most.

That's the thing, the Celly is not handling things well at the moment. We get some stuttering, CPU usage is pegged a lot of the time and things randomly crash so I want to make sure the new server can handle 12 clients. Just not sure how demanding that is and which part of the PC needs to be beefed up the most.

hmm.... well u might consider something more along the lines of an amd quad core ... athlon 2 x4 635 is 100 bucks on newegg right now and will be more suited to multi tasking than a i3 dual core.

then possibly a good ssd for the os / app drive so you have no problems with hard drive usage.... although id imagine with multiple clients its more cpu intensive then hdd intensive.

Well, I'm downloading the trial version of Windows Server 2008 and I'm going to run it on my A64 X2 3800+ with 4GB of ram and a standard 7200rpm HDD. We'll see how it goes during the trial period. If it seems too slow, then I'll put in my Propus 620. If all goes well, I'll get a similar box from Dell. I can't resist the price break they give on the OS's and CAL's. Well worth the price of the Server itself.

Well, I'm downloading the trial version of Windows Server 2008 and I'm going to run it on my A64 X2 3800+ with 4GB of ram and a standard 7200rpm HDD. We'll see how it goes during the trial period. If it seems too slow, then I'll put in my Propus 620. If all goes well, I'll get a similar box from Dell. I can't resist the price break they give on the OS's and CAL's. Well worth the price of the Server itself.

its a shame that you gotta pay big bucks for server os's .... as a student i get server 2008 r2 standard for free through dream spark.

Back