• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem installing os

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jr1

So here is my " little " problem
I have tried installing an os ( both windows and ubuntu )on several hdds but so far no luck
What i can do is getting into bios and also start up the install but after a little it just stops
Also it's not helping anything to put in an hdd with ubuntu already installed on it
It do detect the hdd's and the drives i have tried on is a WDRaptor 74gb two samsung HD400LJ one samsung Sp2004C and a ide drive ( a barracuda 7200.7 )
The rest of the hw is what is in my sig
I'm hopeing someone have some suggestions to what i'm doing wrong

jr1

I've looked at a couple of your other posts and the computer in your sig is a new build right?
When you boot into BIOS and look at the system info screen are the temperatures stable and low?
If it usually crashes after X minutes while installing an OS will it crash if left at the bios screen for that long or while running something like memtest?

Yes it's a new build
it can stay on for a while just beeing in bios
i'm gone try to run memtest and see how it does
thanks for the tip :)

oki
so i did memtest and it came out with no errors and that's a good thing
next thing i'm not sure of atm
also the ubuntu 9.10 install is getting to where it's formatting the disk and starts to install but it still stops at 5%
earlier it stopped at where the languageselection was

Try setting the SATA to native IDE or 'normal'. Anything but RAID or AHCI.

Maybe even try a different SATA cable.

for now i have tried 3 different hdd's and a couple of different cables and running native ide / normal with them all
i even tried to change the dvd drive just in case
that got me to where it is installing features and then it stops
i also have tried with a couple of different windows just to make sure it's not the dvd that is bad

so far no luck with my little problem
i am however starting to think there might be a bug with the board since
i just have one more thing left to try and then i'm all out of ideas
i'm gone try to install on the drive from my laptop and se how that goes since that's the only other pc i have right now
only other i have is a mobo that is on it's way to an rma for the vga
i'll come back a little later and let you know how that goes

sooo i tried installing ubuntu on the desired hdd from another pc and had no issues
i also updated the bios to the latest version but still no luck
so now i'm pretty much out of any more ideas
anyone else have any ideas ?

like Shuruga2 said, what are your temps while in the bios.

have you tried installing another os like xp and see if it dies during install.

i would think it's a heat issue, take off your cpu hs and re-seat it.

temp during bios stay around 30c with ambient around 22c
that is with aircooling
i took everything out just for ease of swapping things aroun while i am trying to figure it out

yes i sat it to stay at ide mode since i don't know much about either raid or ahci

Oki so here is a little update
Today i went and got a new mobo and started to install and voila no problems what so ever
The only thing that have been changed is the mobo
I guess the other mobo is going back for a little checkup at the store i got it from

Wouldn't that be the same on other computers too if it was a bad dvd drive ? at least i would think so since it works perfectly on the new board with all the other components being the same
Also it works fine on a different computer that i tried it in just to make sure

mmmm i doubt it since i tried more than one cable
I am however gone return the mobo for a good checkup to se what they figure out at the store and i will report here when i hear from them again

Back