• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS4 vs Xbone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anhikilator

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make my mind about which next gen console to buy. Can we have a poll about what console/s members will be getting? Maybe something like:

1. PS4
  2. Xbone
  3. Both
  4. None

Thanks,

Ank

I currently have a PS4 with launch-day delivery on pre-order from Amazon, thinking about cancelling the pre-order right now as Watch Dogs was postponed until Spring. Then using that money on a 500GB 840 Evo.

I will eventually have both I'm sure, but I had planned to get the PS4 first.

For right now, I would recommend just waiting for about 6 months or so after launch for when better games come out. Neither console's launch titles are really making me excited, especially since with the PC you have any of the big games (AC4, BF4) are also out on PC.

A couple exceptions:
PS4: Killzone [I don't like FPS on consoles though, so /shrug]

XB1: Forza [I like the Forza series, but doubt I would ever buy it]

I totally agree with you Janus! I was taking a look at the pre-launch combos in Amazon, and it doesn't look very exciting so far....

I can't do fps on consoles either but I'd like to play games like god of war on the couch.

PS4 for me, but mostly to use as an HTPC.

I think you can create a poll yourself. When you create a new thread, there should be options to do so at the bottom...

There are more and more findings each day that are causing people to cancel their pre-orders, treating these new next gen consoles as a HTPC isn't going to get very far, no DLNA and whatnot and lower res Netflix, etc. Among other things.

Also just thought I'd throw this here, BF4 on XB1 720p, PS4 900p, PC 1080p
K3m2jZ9.png

I have both on pre-order and plan to resell one or cancel one or both. I want to buy COD Ghosts, but can't decide which one to buy it for!! Dell has a $60 + $25 eGift Card deal for COD, so I wanted to hop on it soon, or NewEgg has it for $60 + $10 NewEgg Gift Card...

Is the Xbox One going to be a better "entertainment" system for a living room? I already have an HTPC... I mainly need it for watching MKV files on my network and for watching TV (I use a Ceton Infinitv quad card with FiOS)... I'm doubting either system can watch live TV with that card. From what I've seen, it'll only stream recorded TV... I often need Live TV.

I will go with the xbox, but not at launch.

PS4 for me, but mostly to use as an HTPC.

I think you can create a poll yourself. When you create a new thread, there should be options to do so at the bottom...

Careful with expectations on this one :)

I believe the PS4 is shipping without DLNA support and wont even play mp3s at launch.

Now I am sure this will change after a few weeks/months, but just a heads up I dont think it will function very well at all as a media device at 1st. It is looking more limiting than the ps3!

the xbox one will have its own slew of problems in this area as well im sure. I will be surprised if it natively supports mkv (ditto for ps4 tbh) and also both will be cinavia compliant.

At release it is looking like the ps4 is the more powerful gaming rig, but the xbox is the better entertainment system.

COD ghosts on xbox = 720p, ps4=1080p. BF4 xbox = 720p PS4 = 900p.

I havent been able to spot much difference from the comparison videos though. However when I do squint my eyes seem to prefer the xbox (dont know why, as the ps4s image is better on paper).

I'm feeling the need to cancel both pre-orders now... I'm sick and tired of features that should be available/working are not. This proprietary BS is quite disturbing, and that's precisely why I've been using my own HTPC for years now. In Windows, I can do whatever the hell I want.

I've bought Xbox One Day One Edition when they got some extra units couple of weeks back available for pre-order at Best Buy. I'll get PS4 as well at some point but don't see a reason why I should buy it day one since it really has only one exclusive available at launch (Killzone) and they pushed back all other titles they said were going to be available.

Xbox has Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse.

Not getting either. Not impressed by anything either side is offering over my PS3 or 360. Don't use them enough to justify a "upgrade". My PS3 is terrible for an HTPC. I hate having to scroll for ten minutes through my drives to get to the movie I want. As soon as there is a huge amount of choice (200+ movies) it takes forever to find one. No thanks. I hate it for that. Stick to the Apple TV 2.

Good points guys! I still remember the excitement of getting the ps3. It's not the same feeling anymore, not sure if it's because I'm getting older, or if it's because they aren't offering groundbreaking news.

The way 4k TV's and monitors are going down in price makes me feel that next year, it will be very feasible for most people to get a 4k tv, and consoles won't be able to deliver when most of the current video cards will be able to deliver at least some respectable gaming experience at 4k.

I don't know... 1080i/p has been out for quite a while and it really wasn't until the last couple years (3-4) that it started becoming mainstream in computing. You can find some around $1.3K now, but, I don't think they are worth it. I do not see 4K taking for at least another two years and that is for enthusiasts. I do not see greater market penetration than that for at least 3 years. I hope I am wrong however. :)

To take a small cross section of users, look at the steam statistics for resolution. While (assuming IIRC) 1080p did have the biggest share (I want to say like 30%???) It was there and LOWER that the majority still play at...

EDIT:

Primary Display Resolution
1920 x 1080 = 31.96%
1366 x 768 = 22.54%
1280 x 1024 = 7.75%
1600 x 900 = 7.56%
1680 x 1050 = 7.45%
1440 x 900 = 6.30%
2560 x 1440 = 0.94%
5760 x 1080 = 0.07%

Multi-Monitor Resolution
3840 x 1080 = 22.07%
3840 x 1200 = 03.92%
5760 x 1080 = 01.72%

I'm not planning on getting either also.
After reading the no DLNA support on the PS4 FAQ yesterday and the lack of support for current gen peripherals, like USB wheels and arcade sticks (i have both and are fully supported on the PC) I've lost my taste for a next gen console.
Also with the advent of Steam OS and the ability to potentially stream games from my rig in the office to a "lesser" box in the family room hooked up to the big screen and how perfectly capable my current PS3 is at playing blu-ray and streaming my media library, I'm have more and more trouble justifying the cost.

I don't know... 1080i/p has been out for quite a while and it really wasn't until the last couple years (3-4) that it started becoming mainstream in computing. You can find some around $1.3K now, but, I don't think they are worth it. I do not see 4K taking for at least another two years and that is for enthusiasts. I do not see greater market penetration than that for at least 3 years. I hope I am wrong however. :)

To take a small cross section of users, look at the steam statistics for resolution. While (assuming IIRC) 1080p did have the biggest share (I want to say like 30%???) It was there and LOWER that the majority still play at...

EDIT:

I guess I'm one of the few who ran 5760x1200 then. :) I haven't gamed since April (the birth of my first/only kid, my son). :attn::attn:

Back