• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DayZ standalone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah the ARMA Engine has always been crazy intensive but this is an older and better optimized engine as it is then say Arma 2 or 3. One big thing to note that most of the performance things that need to be improved on are like server\client updates its super intense on both so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Couldn't resist waiting to play. Had a blast today for hours.... 9 of us in TS gets kind of chaotic though lol. Only ran into 3 groups of other players, only one group of 3 shot on sight, they got worked but ended up killing one of ours. The others communicated and were friendly.

I've been really holding off because I'm getting low on money since christmas reared it's lovely head. Reading through here though makes me want to drop the money...

I'm okay with the whole alpha thing, I did that with Arma 3 and it was the best decision I ever made.

Omg just tooooo EPIC.. If all servers and players played like this and did not combat log...

Oh sweet jesus... I don't think I've laughed that hard in a while.

EDIT: Screw it, I did it. I bought it... steam RMidst.

Last edited:
Been thinking about getting this game for some time now but can't find myself pulling the trigger. I've bough ton of games on Steam and only played like one or two of them. At the end I always end up playing League of Legends when ever I have some free time and I hate that game.

For those of you that played Day Z, do you think its worth getting? If its anything like BF4 or any of the CoD games its probably not my cup of tea. I got all of those game and end up playing them for like 2-3 hours and stop.

Been playing almost every evening... Having fun hunting people in Elecktro that are picking on fresh spawns. There is a lot of this kind of stuff going on...

but if you can look past it and have the patience, there is still fun times to be had.

Made me miss vanilla DayZ. Been playing on the HerosVSBandits epoch server. Banditing of course.

Been thinking about getting this game for some time now but can't find myself pulling the trigger. I've bough ton of games on Steam and only played like one or two of them. At the end I always end up playing League of Legends when ever I have some free time and I hate that game.

For those of you that played Day Z, do you think its worth getting? If its anything like BF4 or any of the CoD games its probably not my cup of tea. I got all of those game and end up playing them for like 2-3 hours and stop.

The hard thing about DayZ is that its not everyone's cup of tea since its based off of the military Simulator ARMA uses So its much more in depth and slower paced for the most part. One thing to note since its still in alpha there is a lot more content to come in the future.

DayZ isn't a game you pickup up and play for 20-30 min you tend to spend a min of an hour doing something lol and in that way its nothing like COD or BF4. Tactics and brains are what wins 80% of your engagement with bandits, the other 20 is accuracy, positioning and execution.

to recap DayZ isn't for everyone you kind of need to hate yourself a bit because deaths are permanent, people are brutal and the rest of the world is just as unforgiving. Also it helps to play with people makes it way more fun :D

Any ways good luck on deciding :) and if it helps this is some fun game play which is fairly normal... and a little abnormal game play and some decent... lets say tactics.

The things that really separate DayZ from other games are

-Zombies. At a minimum, they are an annoyance. But at worst, they act as signal beacons to other players. You see them in a town from far away, that means a player is in there. You might see then chasing other players running through town. Or when a shot goes off, you'll see them run in the direction of the person who shot. (Currently this is very limited at best in Standalone.)

-The moral dilemmas you face when you run into other players. Do you help them if they need it? Team up with them? Ignore them? Murder them outright? Rob them and send them into the woods with nothing? Play nice and betray them later?

-The tactics involved in standoffs or outright firefights with hostile players. There are lots of wooded areas and buildings to use for cover. Coordinating maneuvers with teammates, whether they're near or far. Sometimes these can last hours because you don't want to make the wrong move and get killed.

Things can get very tense in this game. Something I've only felt in competitive matches with others. The feeling of potentially dying, losing all your gear and having to start from scratch heightens that.

And Steve nailed it on the head!

I was once in a 4 1\2 hour long fight in the mod that started in a helicopter and ended on the ground.... my team left with a helicopter... theirs did not.

The question is... If you run into Frankie... What will you do? I would talk back at him in his own accent... I do say my good man! Are you Frankie? Youtube videographer extraordinaire?

I would drop everything including my clothes, run around like a chicken and cluck over the mic. That might give him a chuckle.

Last edited:
I'm just glad we have games where statements like this are commonplace :D

It's actually funny you'd say that. My good buddy and I were playing one night and I killed my first ever person (mod not alpha lol) and I said loudly "God, I love killing people!", I remember my buddy laughing really hard and saying "I don't know if I would yell that in your apartment dude".

Played this for about 10 hours over the past few days. First time playing.

I don't really see a point in playing after you're fully geared. You'll never die of starvation/thirst after you get a certain amount of consumables. The only thing left to do is waste time running from town to town trying to find other players to interact with. Except they don't want to interact, they're too scared you're going to kill them, so they kill you, unless you kill them first.

Eh, maybe there will be more to do in a few months.

Back