• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Time Warner cable throttle their internet??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's not a monopoly, it's whether or not another cable company wants to overbuild in the same are. It costs a lot more than you can imagine to overbuild that's why some places only have one choice. Be glad you have one, because there are many areas that don't .

I know for a fact they don't throttle. I work for them. 30Mbps down 5Mbps up, it's called RR Extreme the next up is Wide Band 50Mbps down 5Mbps up. If your having speed issues then it would be a good idea to get a tech, like me, to come out on a trouble call. Could be your modem is not the correct Docsis version, signal is full of ingress, or related to a mainline issue. Mine works great.

It's not a monopoly, it's whether or not another cable company wants to overbuild in the same are. It costs a lot more than you can imagine to overbuild that's why some places only have one choice. Be glad you have one, because there are many areas that don't .

Often it isn't about what another company wants... Long term contracts are signed by many cities giving a legal monopoly.

I can independently verify your claims regarding performance and throttling on TWC in NE Ohio. I have been on the 30/5 and the 50/5 plans, and I always get my rated speeds. There have been months when I've pulled over a terabyte across the wire, mostly http and nntp traffic, and I never experienced any throttling.

I'm on TWC in SoCal on their 30/5 plan and I don't get throttled either. I'm using about 200GB/mo too. Not quite a TB (holy hell man) but still a lot

Hang Em High

Yes they throttle and are very specific. They do not like the volume of traffic between me and a site and they actually block access. Sadly for them it is a US Govt site and I am a contractor and my Contractee and the US Marshall's are apparently pissed off and on the way. I know we forgot how to do stuff like this - but hanging a few CEO's every few years is always a good thing. I don't mind a stacked deck, but you gotta kill a few to keep the rest honest.

Man, I have been ripped off by TWC for my Road Runner service. In part because I was not paying attention to all the detail, what kind speed am I getting. I just test my RR speed, I was only getting about 15Mbps and I have been paying monthly RR service for around $64 a month including sale taxes etc. After reading this thread, I decided to go on TWC website and checking out their internet price package. Base on what I have been paying TWC I should be getting Extreme speed internet 30Mbps, not the Standard speed 15Mbps. I am going to call them about this for sure . The reason I have not paying close attention to this because, I used to have their Cable TV service and RR as a combination package. After many yrs with them, I dropped their cable TV service and go with DirectTV and keep the RR service as is. But I did not realized I have been paying top tier RR and only getting standard tier service.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/internet/internet-service-plans.html

Last edited:
Well, I called TWC a minute ago. Here what going on. I am paying $64.... a month for the standard 15Mbps. I told her TWC website Extreme Speed is $54.99, her reply was that is for new customer only for 12 month. I told her what if I close my account and then come back open a new account. I can get the extreme speed for $54.99 a month for 12 months. She said yes but I have to return the modern etc.

Now, my question is should I do it? I will certainly will loose my email address when closed an account and get a new email address with a new account. Their regular price for extreme speed 30Mbps is $80 and ultimate speed 50Mbps is $100 a month. I have their 15Mbps is fast but download speed is slow 1.1Mbps. I am thinking about upgrade to the Extreme speed for faster internet speed and download speed.

8-1-2014 10-49-49 AM.jpg TWC.jpg

Last edited:
Back