• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Mod!! Lots of Pics! 'Circuit Board Effect'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Quick little ide-er - get some 32AWG Kynar wire from Radioshack and make loops around the sides of the cpu to make it look like it's connected or something. ...or use a ZIF sockect [& glue]...

BTW I like the temp monitor - you could also try connecting the holes to traces, which would further hide the holes' blemishes.

HiProfile: What do you mean exactly by looping? I'd probably have to glue the wires to the corners of the proc or something, there aren't any holes in the proc to be able to loop the wire. I was thinking about putting some LEDs around the proc, so that would be a good reason for some wires :)

Noob question: Do UV leds make things that are UV reactive glow? If so where should I get them? I'd like to put those around my proc so that the letters and dots glow more.

I think I'm going to need more UV cathodes :( this keeps getting more expensive...

I don't believe any LED's can make UV-reactive items glow, although theoreticly, the 395 wavelength purple/ultraviolet (read: HARMFUL) LED's should be able to light them - and give you a crisp tan & sunburn.

As for the loops - think of it like many thin spider legs, like Dr. Octopus in spiderman, except the loops loop back around behind the cpu, or go somewhere like corners of the case - or to the ends of the fake case traces.

Safronz....

YOu can get UV Leds@ Radio Shack for about 2 bucks each.. its really high for such a small item so id shop around online.. you can usuall yget bundles of 20-50 for 10 bucks. i got 100 for 15 of a blue led.

Dont worry, UV Leds wont give you a suntan... the ones ive seen at radio shack are blacklight UV Reactive so that should work fine.

If you need help wiring them up i wrote a LED Tech file for a site a while back and i can help you out with what you need if you have questions hit me on aim.

Cool, I'll look around for those LEDs. I really only need about 4 to cover the corners of the proc.

Thanks for all yalls help and ideas!

i know it might be a little late, especially considering you already murdered that proc, but i thought it would be a cool idea to mod a socket and proc and wire it up so that the socket is on the top of the case wired to the power switch so that when you put the proc in it completes a circuit and turns the case on... i hope i made that clear... and it looks great

WejRepus said:
i know it might be a little late, especially considering you already murdered that proc, but i thought it would be a cool idea to mod a socket and proc and wire it up so that the socket is on the top of the case wired to the power switch so that when you put the proc in it completes a circuit and turns the case on... i hope i made that clear... and it looks great

Hehe, maybe a little too late for that :D But I think I will wire the LEDs around the proc into the same wire as the ones leading to the cathodes so that way they will turn on when I turn the cathodes on... or maybe I'll get another switch esp. for the proc LEDs

I have that modding competition at san lan next weekend and I don't think I'll be able to finish all that by then : / I need $$...ahh but don't we all.

VERY SEXY CASE ( drool cup locked and loaded )... you inspired me to get another case and modd it my self. ( from what i seen of you ) you look pretty nice as well )

Last edited:
I'm glad I inspired you derek, and ermm thanks.

Well I just did about the scariest thing out of thise whole case mod-- drilling holes into the top of my case.

As I mentioned before I'm putting LEDs around my proc. I couldn't find any UV LEDs at RS and I am an impatient person unfortunately so I bought yellow LEDs, I hope these look okay, if not I'll replace them later and kick myself. So anyway I dotted where I needed the holes to be [

LEDprocalign.jpg

Drilled the holes, was a little off, but I can adjust that *hopefully* (the bottom left LED is off, but I drilled a bigger hole for it so that when I tighten it, it will be aligned with the other LEDs)

LED_L.jpg

LEDcloseup_L.jpg

I just took the top off [

topoff.jpg

And now it's time to wire it to the toggle switch and all that...I'm also going to sleeve the wires, this is going to take awhile.

Last edited:
Good luck. ITs really looking good so far. As i read your progress im getting ideas for mine as i go along. great job :)

DerekDRP said:
do i smell a circit mod v2 ( some one else lol ) and no san. btw ( i desided to get the clear case ) going for a borgish look ).

Not to be rude, but can you re-write that so we can make sense of it? :p

From what i understand hes going to do a circuit mod....

and he is also going to try to make a case look like a Borg ship....

i think.... grammar seems to be lacking....

Hamspiced said:
From what i understand hes going to do a circuit mod....

and he is also going to try to make a case look like a Borg ship....

i think.... grammar seems to be lacking....

Thanks for the clarifications. :D

Back