• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3770k OC. Random freezes over night

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

I'll try to explain the problem as short as possible.

I've OC'ed my 3770k to 4.5GHz and it's stable with my current settings, at least stable when i'm gaming or stress testing.
I'm able to play games like 12 hours without any issue, but some nights or when i'm at work my computer freezes up.
So it seems that the problem occur when it's idling/doing nothing.

I have no power saving feature except the screen saver which is the Windows 7 default clock screen saver :)

Here's my bios settings

DSC_1.JPG

DSC_2.JPG

DSC_3.JPG

DSC_4.JPG

Could it be a bios setting that i've missed?
I know it's not Windows that causes it since i've reinstalled it several times, and there's no error log.

Turn down LLC from Ultra High to high and raise vcore a notch. I am guessing overnight it is in an idle state and your idle voltage isn't enough.

Turn down LLC from Ultra High to high and raise vcore a notch. I am guessing overnight it is in an idle state and your idle voltage isn't enough.

Thanks, will give it a try.
I have no power saving mode/idling state and the voltage is set manually, so it stays at 1.320V 24/7

You may not have any "power saving" features on but all of your power management technologies seem to still be engaged. I'm not experienced with Intel yet but with AMD boards and CPUs we always disable those things, C1E, C6, Turbo, etc. as they can cause instability.

What is "CPU Fixed Frequency 350"?

Last edited:
You may not have any "power saving" features on but all of your power management technologies seem to still be engaged. I'm not experienced with Intel yet but with AMD boards and CPUs we always disable those things, C1E, C6, Turbo, etc. as they can cause instability.

What is "CPU Fixed Frequency 350"?

It has something to do with current control over thermal control. The higher the value the more CPU looks at the current as the high priority. I have mine set to 400.:drool:

To completely disable power saving modes, you need to disable EIST, and all the C-State options. Keep turbo mode enabled.

To completely disable power saving modes, you need to disable EIST, and all the C-State options. Keep turbo mode enabled.

Why keep turbo enabled? Again, my experience is with AMD to this point but we always disable turbo when overclocking AMDs so that all the cores run at the same speed. With AMD CPUs, only some of the cores speed up in turbo mode.

Different animal buddy, on Intel you always keep turbo mode enabled and disabling all the speed step and C-States keeps the cores running the same speed.

When you overclock the k CPU's from Intel it's the turbo that you are overclocking, if the temp and voltage is ok range and then you use the main multiplier to overclock for all cores.

you sure its actually freezing and not the harddrives turning off?

i thought mine froze when i left it, but was actually both HDDs off for power saving in windows, took about 2mins to come back to life.

if not then like the others said, keep turbo on, up the voltage a tiny bit or set the offsets up, turn all the intel saver ****e off (anything C related and speedstep), or atleast set it up to be stable with idle modes and offsets on volts.

btw very similar bios to the maximus :)

Vcore may be too high and there's a higher chance of those symptoms with the combination of CPU overvolting and stock CPU clocks.

Symptoms to look for are freezes when idle, including reading a document. (OS crashes without an error message of squat)

I would get ghostly symptoms resembling that when my Soyo-SY-K7VTA-B motherboard overvolted with auto Vcore back in 2001, ironically it seemed to not crash when gaming!

Different animal buddy, on Intel you always keep turbo mode enabled and disabling all the speed step and C-States keeps the cores running the same speed.

Yep, this all day. Or you can run them at a solid frequency all day. Each core where you want it, w/e you desire. All except the blck clock increase....

Been running solid in and out of sleeps at 4.7ghz 1.440v. Max reported temp this evening 63-64-62-61 only running 2 of 8 fans on the rads.

Sorry for my late answer guys. Don't know what's wrong but the "E-mail notice" doesn't work for me anymore.

C1E have to stay enabled, otherwise the speedstep doesn't work. I could disable it but then would the CPU will run at 4.5GHz 24/7.

No power saving function on my SSD drive as far as i know. Can't find any in Samsung Magician.

The Vcore is the lowest possible. Two steps lower and games starting to crash.

I raised the CPU Fixed Frequency to 400 and have not had a crash/freeze since, but i have to wait and see.

Why do you overclock to 4.5 and whant to keep speedstep enabled, you can run on that speed and vcore 24/7 whitout any problem, disable speedstep,cie, c-states off.

because most people want the full power of the overclock directly.
Performance wise there isn't more than a negligible difference. Guides tell you to disable it out of the gate for stability reasons. Once you find your stable overclock, you can turn it back on again. ;)

Back