• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weissmertz

Registered
if ican overclock a q9550 to 3.4 is it as good as a qx9770? on cpu id it shows the same stats

i have a gigabyte ep 45ud3l 8 gb pc8500 and a gigabyte 1gb videocard zalman cooler

thats what it is at that makes fsb at 1600 i can actually get it to 3.77 cpu and that makes the fsb at 1770 but it will not be stable over along period of time heres another ? is it better to start w/ a slower cpu so you can get a higher fsb saying you can get the slower cpu to the higher speeds

The CPU you have is just fine, the motherboard is what holds you back.

Try raising the voltage on the memory controller hub.

right now i have to keep my memory at 1066 if i raise the voltage will this help me oc the memory also do i need to add a fan or heatsink.i dont know anything about the mch

You will need a aftermarket cooler like a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink. When you overclock the FSB the MCH will need more voltage when you get past 400 FSB.

Back