• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying out the dark side

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The i7 I have just about.... how do I put this.... spanks?.. No no wait.... slaps?.... No that's not it.... Well something like guts..... or neuter..... no no.... Drills down hard on the FX platform.... Gosh I just can't put it into words...

the 3770k grabs the mic out of the fx series hand and attacks them using, what i consider "verbal martial arts, battle rap. and in case you didnt know, battle rap may sound like words, but it can actually break bones, shatter minds (PTSD for example), cause damage to organs, and may cause death if used correctly.

-anyway-

has anyone here tried the AMD 760k or APU proccessors? i was thinking of getting some myself but i dont know if they are true quad core processors...i read the fx line procesors are "kind of" quad core, hexa core, and octa core but im unsure if this applies to some or all APUs...

Okay. Finally received the 2500k in the mail and my H100 water loop and they are all set up and tested. Here's what I have tentatively settled on:

4.7 ghz

1.456 max vcore (including LLC) under load

85c max core temp under load

RAM at 1600 mhz and 9-9-9-24-2T. My 2400 mhz ram is tied up in my FX-6300 machine right now.

Cinebench R15 CPU Score: 632 This compares to 534 for the FX-6300 at 4.5 ghz using about the same vcore. Man, these Intels run hot when overclocked but they can take it somehow.

Last edited:
Man, these Intels run hot when overclocked but they can take it somehow.
I think it's just your AMD brain telling you that Mr T. I know it took me a little time to get used to the "Safe" higher temps of the Intels VS the AMD platforms. I was so used to getting uneasy when I saw high 60's and low 70 with AMD, when I started seeing high 70's and 80's on the Intel my AMD brain says shut it off shut it off!!! :D

'Upgrading' from an i5 2500K to an i5 3570K is a fool's game. Only an i7 4770K is a viable upgrade over the highly overclockable i5 2500K. Mine runs at 4.7GHz and my new 2 GTX 760 2GB at 1225/7600 are STILL the bottleneck. These i5 2500Ks where so advanced in speed and ability as compared to Nahalem that everything after Sandy Bridge was a joke.:drool:

Concerning the 4770K as a viable upgrade from an i5 2500k, it seems like there are several threads on this forum right now where people are having real problems with overclocking them much at all.

Concerning the 4770K as a viable upgrade from an i5 2500k, it seems like there are several threads on this forum right now where people are having real problems with overclocking them much at all.

+1 I've been on these forms since the release of the Hazwell and have seen allot of people that we cant help them get a good overclock with 4770k-4670k.

Hot Trents. They runs Hotter than the i7 3770K which runs hotter than the i7 2600K.....

So it's like this basically on average from what I've been seeing....

2600K 5/5.2ghz plus daily NP with most decent custom loops.

3770K Up to 4.9/5.0ghz daily on a custom loop.

4770K 4.7/4.8Ghz daily custom loopsie.

the lack of solder and the TDP increase from i7 3 to 4 makes this 4770K a beast to cool, nearly like running an FX processor on all 8 past 5.6ghz and closing in on 1.7v.

My 2500K pretty easily did 5ghz if I recall.... my i7 in the sig, well that's the best I can get from it with over kill rad area.

I can speak from experience, my 4770k can do 4.4 on air @ 1.23 2 hours prime, but that is as far as it will go and keep the temps below 95c. I even tried my big water loop that I use for benching and with ambient water I couldn't even get 4.5 stable with reasonable temps. It will do upwards of 5.2 but only on cold water. It sure reminds me of the Fx 8350 when it comes to cooling it.

Put my Team Elite 2400 back in my FX-6300 main rig yesterday and installed 8 gb (2x4) GSKill 1600 in the Intel test board. I pushed the GSkill Ripjaws voltage from stock 1.5 to 1.65 and played with timings. Got it to be stable at 1866 and 11-14-14-34 2T. I was pretty please with that. You can't always get RAM to run at the next highest frequency rung. This is the first time I've been able to do that.

Found a new use for my handy dandy all purpose 50mm fans. Note those are rubber bands holding it on the RAM sticks.

Attachments

• RAMfan.jpg
    RAMfan.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
An added benefit is that if the clips don't hold the ram well the rubber band will :D

An added benefit is that if the clips don't hold the ram well the rubber band will :D

Yeah, that occurred to me as well and it also helps keep the clips locked!

Of course, if (when) the rubber band fails the loose fan could reek havoc in my case (if I ever get a case for it).

Of course, if (when) the rubber band fails the loose fan could reek havoc in my case (if I ever get a case for it).
Well it can be entertaining sometimes when a fan just starts orbiting around on it's own...no :D

Shrimpbrime, you'll be be glad to know that I just got a 3570k off of another forum member in the classies. Once it arrives, I'll be selling my 2500k in case anyone is interested.

I also picked up a used P8P67 Delux B3 off of ebay. Didn't like how hot the VRM section was getting on my P8Z68-VLX when the 2500k was overclocked to 4.7. The P8P67 Deluxe has really nice heat sinks and much better power phase. It fixed that problem nicely and the 3570k should give lower core temps.

Why would lower VRM temps lower core temps? This is not an AMD chip sucking down 200W+ overclocking. I doubt it will make much if any difference... and it would be even more difficult to prove it even. But, really, I am surprised it even got warm as even at close to 5Ghz on open air bench, any board outside of X79, the VRM's are MAYBE warm to the touch at worst.

I would have went Z77 or greater personally...no specific reason outside of Z68 being made for it (ivybridge) really.

Shrimpbrime, you'll be be glad to know that I just got a 3570k off of another forum member in the classies. Once it arrives, I'll be selling my 2500k in case anyone is interested.

I also picked up a used P8P67 Delux B3 off of ebay. Didn't like how hot the VRM section was getting on my P8Z68-VLX when the 2500k was overclocked to 4.7. The P8P67 Deluxe has really nice heat sinks and much better power phase. It fixed that problem nicely and the 3570k should give lower core temps.

I recently sold my P8P67 Deluxe B3 and thought it was an excellent board which supports and fully overclocks IB cpu(s).

Attachments

• ASUS P8P67 Deluxe i5-3570K 4.5GHz DDR3-2400.PNG
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe i5-3570K 4.5GHz DDR3-2400.PNG
    67.1 KB · Views: 44
Why would lower VRM temps lower core temps? This is not an AMD chip sucking down 200W+ overclocking. I doubt it will make much if any difference... and it would be even more difficult to prove it even. But, really, I am surprised it even got warm as even at close to 5Ghz on open air bench, any board outside of X79, the VRM's are MAYBE warm to the touch at worst.

I would have went Z77 or greater personally...no specific reason outside of Z68 being made for it (ivybridge) really.

Sorry, what I wrote must have been confusing. I was addressing two different issues in one sentence but that was not apparent as I go back and read what I wrote. I was having both high core temps and high VRM Temps with the 2500k running on the 4+2 phase board. The better board with 8+1 power phase and heat sinks fixed the first problem and I expect the 3570k will remedy the second.

Let me assure you, on the former 4+2 phase board, with the 2500k running at 4.7 on about 1.45 vcore, the VRM components were more than just warm. They were uncomfortably hot to the touch. HWMonitor reported peak power of around 145W. Though there is some question in my mind whether my H100 is working like it should. Seems to me the pump outlet hose ought to be pretty warm if it is cooling a CPU hitting mid 80s C but it's not. My infrared thermometer reports the hose temp is only about 28c.

Last edited:
Sorry, what I wrote must have been confusing. I was addressing two different issues in one sentence but that was not apparent as I go back and read what I wrote. I was having both high core temps and high VRM Temps with the 2500k running on the 4+2 phase board. The better board with 8+1 power phase and heat sinks fixed the first problem and I expect the 3570k will remedy the second.

Let me assure you, on the former 4+2 phase board, with the 2500k running at 4.7 on about 1.45 vcore, the VRM components were more than just warm. They were uncomfortably hot to the touch. HWMonitor reported peak power of around 145W. Though there is some question in my mind whether my H100 is working like it should. Seems to me the pump outlet hose ought to be pretty warm if it is cooling a CPU hitting mid 80s C but it's not. My infrared thermometer reports the hose temp is only about 28c.
Well, although it is not an AMD processor, buying a board fitting for overclocking is still a good idea. What I mean by that is ANY board you plan to overclock on, should have heatsinks on the VRM's. I would bet my soul that if those were heatsinked properly, you wouldn't have any trouble with it. Even if you touched 8+X phase that did not have a heatsink on it, they would still be 'uncomfortably hot to the touch'.

I don't doubt that to be true, ED. The first board, P8Z68-VLX was not sinked on the VRMs.

So, let's blame the unintended use of that motherboard as the culprit as opposed to placing blame on the uncooled vrm section that wasn't really meant to be overclocked and run 'cool'. :)

Back