• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600K Max Multi Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Did a run at Max Multiplier today. Used the following settings:
- 1.5V vCore
- PLL Override
- C States and Speedstep Off
- 2C/2T

Got to Windows splash screen even at 60X. Did I do something wrong or actually hit the lottery with this chip?
As I understand it, you should be sitting on a black screen with a blinking cursor when it fails.

140412103834.jpg

140412103840.jpg

140412103822.jpg

140412103850.jpg

140412103911.jpg

140412103914.jpg

My personal thoughts are, that odds that it isnt really changing that high is more likely that a 60x working CPU.

I thought max multi for SB chips was 57x or 58x? Can you get cpu-z to show 60x?

My personal thoughts are, that odds that it isnt really changing that high is more likely that a 60x working CPU.

Its staying set after a reboot, so I'm not sure.

I thought max multi for SB chips was 57x or 58x? Can you get cpu-z to show 60x?

I see plenty of 59x subs on HWBot, so I know at least 59x is possible.
Its not cold, so I'm not comfortable giving it enough vCore to load completely into Windows that high.

I could drop bclk way down and try if that would help.

It has been a long time since I tested SB CPUs, but I think different brands of boards behave differently when trying to boot at higher multi's. Not all go to a blinking cursor. Is there a change in computer behavior when going from 53-54 to 55-56,57?

It has been a long time since I tested SB CPUs, but I think different brands of boards behave differently when trying to boot at higher multi's. Not all go to a blinking cursor. Is there a change in computer behavior when going from 53-54 to 55-56,57?

I actually completely booted at 53x.

55x+ does the normal "I don't have enough vCore" hang on the splash screen for Windows. Same hang I've seen on my FX, and some 1366 stuff too.

Everything 55-60x hits the cursor, hits the 7 splash, then freezes after about 4s.

Yeah 59 was the max multiplier for SB. I would briefly try 1.6 and dont put any load on it to see if it boots above 54. You can go into BIOS and watch temps there to make sure you aren't putting too much through it.

How kind of cooling are you using?

Last edited:
I'm on the D14 right now, which is why I'm hesitant to go higher than 1.5V
I'll push harder once I get the loop set up (final parts are on the way).

Side note: 4C/8T 5.0 at 1.45V boots and runs P95. Probably will need 1.48 to be stable.

Asus motherboards don't apply the multiplier setting until the windows splash screen comes up and starts animating.
They're not good for max multi testing for that reason. That procedure was written for Gigabyte boards.

Give it another go-round with 1.55v and eyeball how long the windows logo animates before it crashes. It'll go for a while then crash, up a multi, go a while then crash, up a multi, animate for a significantly shorter time and then crash. You've found the max multi :D

Then curse Asus for a bit.

Asus motherboards don't apply the multiplier setting until the windows splash screen comes up and starts animating.
They're not good for max multi testing for that reason. That procedure was written for Gigabyte boards.

Give it another go-round with 1.55v and eyeball how long the windows logo animates before it crashes. It'll go for a while then crash, up a multi, go a while then crash, up a multi, animate for a significantly shorter time and then crash. You've found the max multi :D

Then curse Asus for a bit.

I wish I hadn't gotten such a good deal on this board, I prefer Gigabyte for a few reasons, but cost won on this one.

Great info Bob, I'll give it a shot later.

If it makes you feel better, Gigabyte LGA1155 boards (both P67 and Z77) are very prone to infinite bootlooping, where Asus typically snaps out of it after two or three loops.

There isn't a clear winner IMO.

If it makes you feel better, Gigabyte LGA1155 boards (both P67 and Z77) are very prone to infinite bootlooping, where Asus typically snaps out of it after two or three loops.

Not really, Gigabyte was my fail-safe if this board didn't do what I wanted :/

All my experience is either 1366 or AMD, so this is pretty new to me still.

It's both a wonderful platform, and a staggering headache. I rather like it, beyond the max multi annoyance.

I think the ASRock Z77-OC was probably the best board made for LGA1155. Largely because they had one of the OC gods working on it heavily and supporting the public.
Not to be confused with EVGA (run awaaaaaay from their LGA1155, even Kingpin and TiN couldn't bring that up to par with Asus/GBT/ASRock) or Asus (great extreme OC support, if you're already a top overclocker. The public? Not so much) type support :p

Downside: Expensive and probably rare by now.

I'll do some research before getting another Z77 board (if I get another).
I got the chip and board together on a deal that I couldn't pass up.

I'll update later tonight when I get back from the track and get a chance to push again.

Huh?

Sorry for the thread jack, but can you explain what you mean buy "infinite boot looping"??
Something I should worry about???

I just bought the Gigabyte Z77-HD4

Huh?

Sorry for the thread jack, but can you explain what you mean buy "infinite boot looping"??
Something I should worry about???

I just bought the Gigabyte Z77-HD4

You won't be able to push high enough without a K SKU CPU to worry about it.

No, only if you were doing pushing it benchmarking. Basically it would just keep rebooting until you resetcmos.

Yup, if you put in BIOS settings that really don't work, it'll restart, boot a little ways through POST, restart, boot a little ways through POST, restart, etc. etc. etc.
It's a literal loop of boots :D

If you aren't pushing for the outer edge of things, you probably won't run into it. If you do, kill the power and use the Clear CMOS jumper to go back to defaults.

It's a pain to do benching because usually by the time you bootloop you've changed a lot of settings and redoing all the ones that worked takes a while.

That and if you're using extreme cooling there is a time limit on how long you can go with no load before the board is covered in ice/water, which is an issue.

z68 really soured me on gigabyte. I hated that bootloop so bad........
I haven't bought one since, and i dont see it happening anytime soon.

Back