• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra 120 Extreme models - confusing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leonardo

I've a love/hate relationship (great performance/convex bases) with the TRUE, but nonetheless, I'm considering a couple more for future upgrades. Alright, please clear the fog for me. What are the differences in these models:

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Rev. B
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Rev. C
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

Does the "1366" model have a larger base than its predecessors, or does 1366only denote inclusion of a backplate for Socket 1366 motherboards?

You guys with newer TRUEs: has Thermalright fixed their lumpy, convex bases yet. (I do not find hours of lapping to be a rewarding experience. That's time out of my life that I can't get back.)

Hey, as long as I'm asking a dozen questions, why not some more:

I'm seeing mixed reviews on the Xigmatech S128364 Thor's Hammer and Cooler Master Hyper 212+. What have you experienced? How do they compare in the real overclocking world to the champs (Prolimatech Megahalems and TRUE)?

Leo, AFAIK the 1366 model just has a i7 mount instead of the 775 mount; the base is the same on both. I also saw at Sidewinder that there is a TRUE model with both mounts included too. As for the difference between the Rev B and Rev C, I'm not sure. But I think they might have a different mount system with the Rev C model.

As for the difference between the Rev B and Rev C, I'm not sure. But I think they might have a different mount system with the Rev C model.

This may be interesting to find out actually. Maybe they had found out about those of us that have done the washer mod, and did something to the mounting to give the same results. They could have used stiffer springs, shorter screws, or made an adjustment to the backplate. Other than that, I am really unsure of any other revisions to the mounting system they could have done aside from maybe making it lighter due to the rising costs of raw materials these days.

I looked at them on the Thermalright website and the Rev C has a different hold down clamp compared to the older ones. The new top hold down looks like this one for both Rev C 1366 and 775 models.

Yes, I think you're right. That jibes with what I've noticed at a couple places.

As it turns out, I think I'll just bypass Thermalright completely. Apparently the company still has not solved the quality control issue of the less than flat bases and the sloppy (low pressure) retention brackets. I'm even seeing reports of this problem on the new budget model, the Cogage TRUE Spirit. I've had three of the TRUEs, and I just refuse to do lap jobs and washer-pressure engineering again. My one remaining true is a fantastic performer, but I shouldn't have had to do all the work on it considering the premium price.

Looks like Prolimatech Megahalems it will be.

Dark Knight is a decent cooler, but it's no longer top category, which was what I was looking for. I ended up ordering a couple Megahalems.

Let us know how they perform out of the box and if possible, your impressions of them versus an out-of-the-box TRUE and a lapped TRUE. I'm not much into air cooling lately, (everything is on water now). but I am curious how they perform and also their fit and finish. And I can trust you to post the naked truth on what you find positive or negative on them. :)

Thanks for your confidence in me. I will indeed post my findings.

Back