• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install driver module permanently?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anvil82

I have an intel 1000 mt desktop adapter installed and it works until I reboot.

I compiled the driver

Then I ran

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.12.5/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.ko

Then I set the ip

ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.150

It worked until I reboot.

After every reboot I have to run modprobe e1000, as well as ifconfig.

I set these two commands in the rc.local file, but this seems like a silly way to do this.

How can I install this driver permanently?

Thanks.

As stated you can build the driver into the kernel instead of as a module, that will "fix" the modprobe issue. As for networking I believe slackware has a network startup script you can setup for your interface.

I'm not too familiar with Slackware, but in most distros there are some files in /etc where you can list the modules to be autoloaded, then usually a script you run that sets up the files to be loaded at boot.

In gentoo, it's in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and then you run modules-update.

In redhat-variant distros like fedora and mandrake, I believe there's something like the /etc/rc.d files that you can poke and mess aroudn with. If I remember right, they're pretty easy to figure out, though not as simple as gentoo's /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel files..

Christoph said:
You can't, but the e1000 driver is part of the stock kernel.

You could actually patch the kernel with the driver :p but like Christoph says the e1000 is already included in the kernel.

To bring up the network at boot you need to add the network init script to the default runlevel. If you are using something redhat based it is probably located in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and should look something like this.

To add this to the default runlevel in redhat use the chkconfig tool like this:

chkconfig --add <name>

but replace name with the name of your init script (such as inet1 above).

Flamed_Chip said:
You could actually patch the kernel with the driver

Of course. For some reason I thought he was talking about a binary-only module like nVidia's. You can't stick those in the kernel binary as far as I know. If you've got the code, you can patch the kernel, assuming the kernel the driver was written for and the kernel you're running are close enough.
(They're close enough if it works, in case you were wondering.)

Back