• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Vertex4 Issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woodzy

Hello all,
It's been a while since i have been on the forums, i've also got a lot of catching up to do in the computer world :confused:

My System is around two years old now and is still running at stock level.
About 4-5 weeks ago i'd shut down my rig with no issues at all, when i next came to start the system up there was no OS i checked the SSD drive and it had been completely wiped clean :shrug: I did a total new install and all seemed fine until this morning i started the system up and bam, the same issue again. The SSD is an OCZ Vertex 4 256GB.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue or if anyone had/has the same problem with the same drive?

Thanks in advance :thup:

Daz.

Sounds like the SSD controller is dying.
Back up what you can and get an RMA going.

Hello and thank you for you quick reponse.

I have sent an RMA request, the item was purchased just over two years ago is it likely that they can do anything about it? It was purchased from Overclockers.co.uk

Thanks again for the quick response.

Did you send the request to OCZ or OCUK?
I know those drives have a 5yr manufacturer warranty, so they should replace it :)

Warranties are still being accepted on the drives... there is no need to worry. Just contact OCZ and RMA the drive.

OCZ was bought and is still producing drives... they did not fall off the face of the earth.

I sent my RMA to OCUK, this was their reply..

I am sorry to hear of this issue.

As this is over 1 year old you will need to contact the manufacturer directly for any warranty claims.

So I'll now send an RMA to OCZ and see what they come back with, fingers crossed!

Daz.

RMA sent across to OCZ so the waiting game begins, I'll keep you informed of the progress.

Thank you.

Hello :thup: I today received a replacement SSD through the door.
Its a refurbished OCZ Vector 256GB, I've not yet put it into my system i was curious if any of you guys could tell me a bit about the drive in comparison to my original OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD.

Thanks in advance :thup:

In some testing I have seen the Vertex is a little quicker in a test or two and then the Vector runs ahead of the Vertex in a test or two and that makes a real overall difference of 'zero' within a statistical margin of error. However the testing I have seen gives a very very slight edge to the Vector series of OCZ SSD, but again not so much that one is whipping the crap out of the other.
RGone...

Yep. The vector is a smidge faster, but only a smidge. And it's reliability is about the same.

You know, I'm hoping that the next gen OCZ/Toshiba drives knock it out of the ballpark. Toshiba is currently the best hdd maker, and maybe they can fill that needed niche in the ssd market. Intel is reliable, but they keep using outdated controllers, and their pricing is scary.

There's your hope, woodzy. Pray this replacement drive holds out 'till next gen arrives, and then dies. RMA it, and hope they give you one of the new ones :D

Back