• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]SETI News: Overclockers.com Takes 7th Place

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuietIce

Disabled
In a move not seen since the fall of 2005 the Overclockers.com SETI Team has taken 7th Place in the World!!!

IMOG EDIT: Read the article on the frontpage!

:clap: :soda: :clap: :salute: :clap: :beer: :clap:

The World positions in total points for SETI today is a relatively sedate race with positions of the top 10 or so teams changing every few months at best. But back in 2005 the SETI world was awash with changes. In January 2005 Overclockers.com was in 10th Place and over the next few months we would continue taking positions until May 2005 when we made 6th Place. Unfortunately, this was to be a short-lived victory.

In October 2005 the Overclockers.com Team was left behind by L'Alliance Francophone and BOINC Synergy falling from 6th Place to 8th Place. Over the following year we were to give up three more positions ending up in 11th Place in October 2006 back where we had started in January 2005. For the next two years we would hang onto 11th Place winning through The Storm of '06 when SETI.USA came crashing through the Top 10 to eventually land in 1st Place, a position they still hold.

By October 2007 our membership was still small but our RAC was quickly climbing. From October to November of 2007 we retook the 10th and 9th Place positions. We would hold our ground at 9th Place for almost two years until August of 2009 when Team Starfire, a team who had been ahead of us for over five years, finally succumbed. In 8th Place and looking ahead, BOINC Synergy, another long-time SETI leader, was our next target. BOINC Synergy has been lagging in RAC for quite awhile so it was only a matter of time until we caught them as well. This week, after over a year of leading BOINC Synergy in RAC, we retook 7th Place!

But now is not the time to sit on our laurels. As we have increased our RAC over the past five years, other new teams have also been adding to their membership and dominance, their RAC going up week by week. Team 2ch of Japan and Team China, both trailing by many points, have finally matched or slightly exceeded our RAC. We managed to catch and surpass some of our oldest adversaries in the past couple of years because our RAC has kept ahead of them, growing while theirs flagged or held steady. But as our own history shows, the SETI World Race is a long-term one and slowing down is always, in the long run, disastrous.

For a short while we can enjoy our hard work. It's really paid off and soon we'll reap another harvest by taking 6th Place from the Czech National Team. The short-range future is bright but lets not be caught napping ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My RAC will be decreasing for a little while in a little over a week's time, but I will come back with a vengeance in April or thereabouts.

As an addition to the above post I've gathered some data on our competitors in the Top 12:

Team.....................Active members @ RAC..(Avg RAC)
SETI.USA...............2400 @ 1.4M (580)
SETI.Germany...........3100 @ 1.2M (390)
L'Alliance Francophone.1500 @ 710K (470)

SETI@Netherlands........800 @ 1.0M (1250)
The Knights Who Say Ni!.750 @ 640K (850)
Czech National Team....1000 @ 550K (550)

Overclockers.com........189 @ 640K (3360)
BOINC Synergy...........375 @ 450K (1200)
Team Starfire...........170 @ 410K (1200)

Team 2ch................750 @ 650K (870)
BOINC@Taiwan............340 @ 470K (1380)
Team China.............1200 @ 650K (540)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what RAC is, but here is my chart from about when I started with BOINC on my humble 9800GT running GPU only:

Capture.JPG

Soon I will deploy the new system in my Profile below: As it failed my benchtest, I had to RMA the ASUS motherboard, and so I'll have a Gigabyte MOBO instead hosting the GTX 260 216sp

I recently got interested in SETI again thanks to setting up a new i5 750. Not that I ever stopped running it. I went from 4k/day to 12k/day over the last week. Doin' my part ;)

I hope to deploy the system below in a few days... PLUS I will be adding in a slim BFG 9800GT Overclock (non-SLA mode) as a companion to the GTX 260.

Hopefully this should not stress my 750W power supply.. I think MAYBE i could fit in a second 9800GT (3 SETI crunchers in one box, however I think my Power is insuffcient to attempt it.

Perhaps a 1000W power supply would do the trick. :confused:

I recently got interested in SETI again thanks to setting up a new i5 750. Not that I ever stopped running it. I went from 4k/day to 12k/day over the last week. Doin' my part ;)
Looks like you're going to top out on that rig at ~10K and maybe even a little more. :)

What video card(s) are you running with it (if any)? I haven't really kept track of how well the i-series do by themselves since so many have CUDA as well ...

woot, congrats everyone :D Though I may be biased, I'm pretty convinced we're the best team regardless of the RAC numbers :) but if you look at the RAC per active, we're an absolute beast :D

I hope to deploy the system below in a few days... PLUS I will be adding in a slim BFG 9800GT Overclock (non-SLA mode) as a companion to the GTX 260.

Hopefully this should not stress my 750W power supply.. I think MAYBE i could fit in a second 9800GT (3 SETI crunchers in one box, however I think my Power is insuffcient to attempt it.

Perhaps a 1000W power supply would do the trick. :confused:

I've run a 260 and a 9800GT on a 550 Watt PSU. The main thing you need to look for is Amperage at this point. I'd want atleast a 50 Amp Power Supply (Which I have) to run both in crunching mode. And even though 550W isn't the best Idea with a 260 and a 9800, I still do it :p

Looks like you're going to top out on that rig at ~10K and maybe even a little more. :)

What video card(s) are you running with it (if any)? I haven't really kept track of how well the i-series do by themselves since so many have CUDA as well ...

I have i5 750 running 4GHz and no NVidia video card. I had reached top of about 6k/day before the server and A/C unit started having problem. Granted I also play games on the same machine, an average of 3 hours a day.

Well, I'm finally restoring my farm that was more or less roasted a few months ago.
I *hope* to have it all running by the weekend, so maybe by the end of next month the RAC's will have stabilized.
Hopefully that will contribute to our numbers some.

Well, I'm finally restoring my farm that was more or less roasted a few months ago.
I *hope* to have it all running by the weekend, so maybe by the end of next month the RAC's will have stabilized.
Hopefully that will contribute to our numbers some.
If past performance is any indication. :)
My new i7 is alive and running well at 4.1Ghz. I wish there was a setting to use 3-4 cores while in use and all 8 when not. Running all 8 drags my VMs down.
I can't access the Preferences page right now. Seems like there's a separate setting for RAM but I can't remember about multi-cores ... :-/

Back