• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on running Boinc on multiple cpu's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Boinc is only using one CPU(8 cores) on my 4P rig.
The install of Boinc on Ubuntu/Linux doesn't seem to have options or preferences like the win version.

Can I either run 4 instances of Boinc or get it to use all 32 cores?

Thanks for any advice.

Ok , I had some more time to work on this. On the Linux client the preferences are listed on the Projects tab. They are web based. So after signing in and choosing at the bottom to edit preferences. I was able to change the "Multi processor allowed' choice from 16 to 32. Then I saved and updated the project to enable my new settings.

Unfortunately they still do not reflect 32 processors, it only has 6 tasks running...:shrug:

Ok , I had some more time to work on this. On the Linux client the preferences are listed on the Projects tab. They are web based. So after signing in and choosing at the bottom to edit preferences. I was able to change the "Multi processor allowed' choice from 16 to 32. Then I saved and updated the project to enable my new settings.

Unfortunately they still do not reflect 32 processors, it only has 6 tasks running...:shrug:

It uses a lot of memory, how many GB do you have? I would guess 1 GB per core, so you need 32 GB.

Did you remember to turn off the paging - otherwise things will get reallllllly slooooooow.

It uses a lot of memory, how many GB do you have? I would guess 1 GB per core, so you need 32 GB.

Did you remember to turn off the paging - otherwise things will get reallllllly slooooooow.
I have 32GB and whats paging?

I have it back on fah so its moot. Thanks for any help. There may come a time when I switch it back. I just need to know for then.

I have 32GB and whats paging?

I have it back on fah so its moot. Thanks for any help. There may come a time when I switch it back. I just need to know for then.

Paging allows the system to use hard drive space in place of RAM. HD space is very slow and should never be used when speed is essential.

Paging can be turned off under the BOINC options, and should be set to 0%.

In Linux, local preferences and options are set under the advanced tab. From what I can tell, all the Windows options are available under Linux, just under different tabs.

Back