• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Announces Devil's Canyon 4th Generation Unlocked Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't there there is much point in doing that. Part of the things they changed is the TIM used. That said, never heard of anyone doing it, but, I wouldn't guess it will do near as much as what some report with the current Haswell CPUs.

well things are still early, someone might take a pop at de-lidding a haswell refresh. To see what it got changed to, that is assuming it is still an easy process to de-lid.

well things are still early, someone might take a pop at de-lidding a haswell refresh. To see what it got changed to, that is assuming it is still an easy process to de-lid.

It's more a matter of when, not if. Someone will do it.

It's more a matter of when, not if. Someone will do it.

well if its more like the old method of having to use high heat that could possible kill the core/die. then they would have done it without a working cpu, is what i was more/less getting at. since intel changed the tim, what else did they change?

well if its more like the old method of having to use high heat that could possible kill the core/die. then they would have done it without a working cpu, is what i was more/less getting at. since intel changed the tim, what else did they change?

One of our forum member Shrimpbrine has been delidding AMD cpu's for years using heat. But I know what you are getting at.

Yeah, Im sure it will happen..There would likely still be improvements. But I just don't think it will be a big difference.

Don't buy it to teach intel a lesson to stop milking us with 4 cores for the past 5+ years. Bring on the overdue 8 cores FFS! :bang head

Earthdog! Where have you been? I for a sec thought you left us. Went looking for you and found you in here. :p :rofl:

Don't buy it to teach intel a lesson to stop milking us with 4 cores for the past 5+ years. Bring on the overdue 8 cores FFS! :bang head

Earthdog! Where have you been? I for a sec thought you left us. Went looking for you and found you in here. :p :rofl:

they still have dual cores they are selling, so why not? i remember when a decent single core cost what the G3258 is costing now. i still wish it had HT, i wouldnt mind paying a bit more in that case just for HT. that is one cpu i dont see in the line up is a unlock dual core with HT. they have a quad non-HT and a quad with HT. just to get a dual core with HT the one that fits my min cpu speed for non ocing is at $124, i mean really!!!! :temper:

I think Intel is used their heads and not releasing in not releasing a more expensive, power hungry octo core. Now, that said, they are releasing an octo on their latest X99 platform (of course there are octo's and more in Xeon land). But that vast majority of applications cannot use more than 4c or 4c/8t in the first place.

@ GTX - I was at a Disaster Recovery test with my company for the past two days. ;)

may have already seen this, but first DC I have seen tested. Temps are better, look to be maybe half way between delidded haswell and haswell. But a sample of one so far only got to 4.7 with 1.36, no further (stable).

Interesting stuff. Even though I wasn't able to get higher than 4.7 GHz, the limit does not appear to be temperature on my Core i7-4790K, just crappy luck. Under load with a voltage of 1.36v, temperatures on Devil's Canyon didn't go past 84C. On the other hand, the original Haswell part hit 91C with a lower voltage (1.25v) and higher clock speed (4.8 GHz)

hmm, well thats good news in a way. i'd much rather see clock to clock and voltage to voltage. even if the cpu didn't need the slight extra voltage the other did, it shows more of a heat load to heat load comparison of the tim change.

I'm glad to see the desktop isn't dead yet LOL. SFF (Shuttle SFF) was nice, but too noisy and hot with high powered components back in the old P4 days. If this newest i7-4790K Haswell and an nVidia GTX780 will fit in a μATX case quietly, I'm in for some more SFF love again.

I'm glad to see the desktop isn't dead yet LOL. SFF (Shuttle SFF) was nice, but too noisy and hot with high powered components back in the old P4 days. If this newest i7-4790K Haswell and an nVidia GTX780 will fit in a μATX case quietly, I'm in for some more SFF love again.

more then possible just depends on how small you actually want to go, mATX or mITX?

I suppose I could hollow out one of my old black Shuttles I've got laying around. Then I'd need to get a larger power supply that fits.

Looks like a good chip, cant wait to see how the i5 4690k does compared to the higher bind i7 4790k when over clocking.

Back