• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

onboard video problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Ok, since I built this machine, I have been trying out just about any linux distro that will boot from a live session without using safe mode and not having much luck....most of the time it will start to boot, and the screen will go black never to show anything until I reboot to my main OS (Mint16 KDE 64) or boot the live session in safe mode

In my main OS I decided to try to look at the logs and found this :
06/19/14 01:44:49 PM rod-desktop kernel [ 0.600376] video: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

Is this what is causing me to not be able to us my system to it's full potential?

When I look in Kinfocenter, I see the graphical info> openGl the value of the display is 0: the value of the direct rendering shows no value just an arrow pointing to the driver...next is 3d accelerator: value is unknown

Next is driver Vendor: VMware inc.
renderer: Gallium 0.4 on livmpipe (LLVM 3.3, 128 bits
That's all it shows under openGL.

I have a few other errors mostly to do with Bluetooth an two that seem to be critical as follows:
GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_file_info_get_attribute_uint64: assertion 'G_IS_FILE_INFO (info)' failed

I should also point out that I'm using a Sansui 19" wide screen tv for video through the vga port on the TV

Asrock H61M-VG3 soc 1155> Intel G2030 @3.0ghz with Onboard Intel HD graphics enabled> (no video card yet which is my main prob) Supertalent DDR3 not sure the speed. and a 500gb serial ata hdd and generic dvd burner

On a lighter note: I now have plenty of Live distro's on CD and DVD to show people who want to migrate to Linux :attn:

Thanks for any and all suggestions,
Doc

Ok, since I built this machine, I have been trying out just about any linux distro that will boot from a live session without using safe mode and not having much luck....most of the time it will start to boot, and the screen will go black never to show anything until I reboot to my main OS (Mint16 KDE 64) or boot the live session in safe mode

In my main OS I decided to try to look at the logs and found this :
06/19/14 01:44:49 PM rod-desktop kernel [ 0.600376] video: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

Is this what is causing me to not be able to us my system to it's full potential?

When I look in Kinfocenter, I see the graphical info> openGl the value of the display is 0: the value of the direct rendering shows no value just an arrow pointing to the driver...next is 3d accelerator: value is unknown

Next is driver Vendor: VMware inc.
renderer: Gallium 0.4 on livmpipe (LLVM 3.3, 128 bits
That's all it shows under openGL.

I have a few other errors mostly to do with Bluetooth an two that seem to be critical as follows:
GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_file_info_get_attribute_uint64: assertion 'G_IS_FILE_INFO (info)' failed

I should also point out that I'm using a Sansui 19" wide screen tv for video through the vga port on the TV

Asrock H61M-VG3 soc 1155> Intel G2030 @3.0ghz with Onboard Intel HD graphics enabled> (no video card yet which is my main prob) Supertalent DDR3 not sure the speed. and a 500gb serial ata hdd and generic dvd burner

On a lighter note: I now have plenty of Live distro's on CD and DVD to show people who want to migrate to Linux :attn:

Thanks for any and all suggestions,
Doc

"llvmpipe" means the software/distro is borked! Likely means the kernel wasn't compiled with KMS! This happened to me on Puppy in 2013, because I didn't enable KMS support, IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_setting#Linux

Thanks, the Wiki artical didn't tell me how ro fix it, or even if it can be fixed,

When I tried to run Kubuntu in Live mode, I had the usual blank screen on startup, so I rebooted, and this time I hit "F6" for options, and chose "nomodeset" and it booted. I have no idea if nomodeset is "safe mode" or not, but I got Kubuntu to run...most of the other live distro's don't have the nomodeset option, so I couldn't try them.
Gonna try a few things here today..just to satisfy my curiosity.
Thanks....I'll be back

I got to thinking..that I haven't tried any 32 bit distro's...only 64 bit.

There may be a difference, as 32 bit code is slightly more mature...but then therein lies the rub..I don't want to run a 32 bit OS but it is worth a try.

Thanks Stratus_ss,
Bookmarked and will read it again till I have it burned in memory.

BTW, Mint 17KDE LTS final is released. :)

Edit: I get the feeling that People like Stratus_ss will turn me into a command line veteran and I like it!

Last edited:
I think it is a bug in the kernel for some displays and or Intel gpu's.. "nomodeset" didn't work either when I tried it in a mint 17 live session...I got into extra options and typed in nomodeset and it still booted to a blank screen. :bang head Choosing safe mode booted.

Well, I may have it solved in a different way..I have an Nvidia 8600GT on the way (I'm kinda partial to that model). Should be adequate for my low demand gaming, like Half life2, quake4,etc. I know that half life will run in steam, already tried it with the Intel graphics, but at 2-11 fps was unplayable, but it looked good. :attn:

The discrete card should solve all my woes and I can finally get down to learning the basic commands and nuances of Linux, Then I can migrate all my friends to Linux :cool:

The 9500 GT is a better model. The 8600 GT is an earlier model that possibly are all defective. (possibly bad materials used to manufacture the GPU)

Back