• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slow copying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pilipk01

Hi aLL,

Recently i bought a new motherboard (MSI K7N2), new CPU (AMD xp 2600+) and 512M of RAM, as well as 350W power supply. I used to have celeron 433, and couldnt stand it so i bought the above. Everything is ok, but when it comes to copying, big files (700Mb ) from cd to my hdd it takes over 10 minutes, (same as on my celeron) . I have 40GB HDD , 7200 rpm. Also im running Win XP Pro. Any idea how can i speed up the proccess of copyin?

thanks in advance

Chris

rather strange, but mine takes about 5 to 8 minutes. could be cd drive it self.

run stress test to see that everything is fine. you should have any probs, it probably just the cd drive it self. but check anyways. my memory made my pc crash, go slow, and nearly burn!

Did you install the chipset drivers when you installed windows?

Are the cd drive and the harddrive on the same ide chain? (they aren't suposed to be)

Is dma mode enabled for both of the drives?

What is the X rating of the drive?

It is probably the cd drive. Look on the front and see if it says what speed the drive is. Also try looking under the device manager, the speed is usually listed with the device name.

6x=900Kbs 10x=1,500Kbs 24x=3,600Kbs 36x=5,400Kbs

Also a cd drive usually copies up stuff at a slower speed than rated. I have a 52x drive but when i rip mp3s i usually only get 32x.

File copy speed is different than ripping speed. For copying files you should get most if not all of the x rating when you get to the outside of the disc. Ripping is based on a drives "audio extraction" speed which is lower than the x rating by a good bit.

Ok, i ve got 40x cdrom,

I have 2 hdds, on IDE1 i have master with my operating system and one slave that im using most of the time. IDE2 has one master which is my cdrom. Should i change it ?

Yes i have downloaded latets driver for my Nfroce2 chipset and did updated my windows xp.

Cheers

Nope that's fine. As long as you don't have the CD drive on the same IDE chain that the HD is on you shouldn't have any troubles from that.

Did you check to see if you have dma enabled for all of the drives? Sometimes it's not enabled by default. You can check it out in the device manager by opening up the ide controlers.

Also what type of cd are you copying? Audio or data? Burned or boughten? Sometimes that makes a diference too.

It's also just possible you got a bum cd drive and that it never quite hits its max speed. You can always download Nero cd burner and use the Nero cd speed test with a full cd to see if your burner is actually getting 40x.

This should help, from my experience many of the nForce 2 boards do not automatically enable DMA (direct memory address)
Step 1:
access the system properties by right clicking on my computer, go to the hardware tab
1.gif

Step 2:
access the device manager by clicking the device manage button
2.gif

Step 3:
open the ide controllers sub menu and choose the secondary IDE channel, or the channel that your CD drive resides
3.gif

Step 4:
go to advanced settings and ensure DMA is enabled in all of the boxes,if you want to change it just use the drop down menu and select DMA, you may have to restart
4.gif

what about other cd's? do they copy files at the same speed??? I have alotta old cd-rom drives and i've had one that went really bad on me. The cd-rom drive i had on a computer worked fine... until i reinstalled windows xp. it was like a 8x or something, (yes i know its slow) but when doing the windows xp installation, under time remaining, it said several times more than when i first installed xp when the cd-rom drive was working.

So just try other cd's and see if they have the same problem and if possible try another cd-rom drive

NOTE: Genearlly fast (>40x) don't run at full speed all the time for 3 reasons:

1) It stresses the components
2) It's loud
3) Disks can actually fly apart with only miniscule cracks that otherwise wouldn't make a difference

You should never force a CD-ROM drive to operate at full speed without a good reason!

Back