• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC on Cooler Master Stacker 830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Komrade

Registered
Hello, im new to water cooling and i have been looking at some water cooling kits but i think i would really like to build my own kinda thing. I really like the new stacker, it looks sweet and accordion to reviews its pretty versatile. I just have never seen it in person and kinda hard to imagine all this.

I just dont know how i would arrange all the components. a lot of ppl say that the radiator up front is the best but then that only leaves me with 3 5.25' bays which ill fill with my cd-rom drive and 2 HDs (or 1 HD and 1 single slot reservoir), which leaves me with no choice of potteen anything else in which sucks. I noticed that maybe i could put a dual radiator on the side cage (any comments on that?). Another possibility i just saw was making a hole at the bottom and then i could put in a tripe radiator but i just dont think that would work so well because if i choose to place the case on carpet it will basically be vacuuming that one spot.

please i need some advice, i dont really know which exact components ill be getting so suggestions are always welcome :)

Thnx

I had a Stacker for a short bit.

You can pretty much mount one anywhere. With the two PSU mounting options you go top or bottom. With that size case you definitely should use a 3x120mm radiator. The case is well ventilated, so as long as you're not filling every bit of the case with hardware, and have good cable management, you would probably get minimal performance impact from mounting the radiator at the top (vs the bottom or front) and using exhaust fans.

Fushyuguru

I think you are refering to the old 810 stacker not the new 830, but i understand what you are saying, there is plenty of room but on th enew stacker the top is designed with handles and the console panel there as well so i dont wanna ruin what it looks like by making any holes there at all, so i think the bottom should be ok, i jsut have to go look at one in person to make sure there is resonable ground clearance with its usual legs so that some air actually will go in there.

I am thining a radiator at the bottom with inake fans and the top,rear, and front fans be exhausts. I hope that will do it.

Now its time to think of some kinda layout for all th erequired components and get a dremel to make nice holes for the radiator :)

thnx guys

Komrade said:
Fushyuguru

I think you are refering to the old 810 stacker not the new 830, but i understand what you are saying, there is plenty of room but on th enew stacker the top is designed with handles and the console panel there as well so i dont wanna ruin what it looks like by making any holes there at all, so i think the bottom should be ok, i jsut have to go look at one in person to make sure there is resonable ground clearance with its usual legs so that some air actually will go in there.

I am thining a radiator at the bottom with inake fans and the top,rear, and front fans be exhausts. I hope that will do it.

Now its time to think of some kinda layout for all th erequired components and get a dremel to make nice holes for the radiator :)

thnx guys

Oh sorry about that.

Well you can mount a 120.2 rad on the bottom with a little bit of modding (also place the fans under the case pulling air out.). Also you can place a 120.1 on the top fan again pulling air. Make sure not to place the rad center...it needs to be pull as far from the motherboard as you can get it. You might lose a pci slot but that shouldn't be a big deal. Heres my rig... still waiting on my 120.1 rad and my waterblocks to put my 8800 gts's in.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/euphoric28/DSCN0450.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/euphoric28/DSCN0453.jpg

euphoric28, thx. Nice looking rig by the way.

After looking at those pictures though that case doesnt look so big anymore, cause i was really hoping a triple rad would fit on the bottom, but it looks like it will be rather tight for it.
Could you please look at your case and tell me if a triple will fit in there (im willing to go into the 5.25' drive bay space) also if that will cover the entire bottom where is a good location to put a pump, i see yours is on the motherboard tray, are there any other places it can fit?

Oh i also jsut rememebred, so all the cases come with wheels right? because with those wheels it looks like it does have nice ground clearance to suck air in for a bottom mount rad

I have my 2.120 radiator just sitting on the floor, and fans on top of that.

I have to redesign it, Im blocking 2 PCI slots, and the 3rd is blocked by the vid card.

Im gonna drop the fans under the case I think. putting the radiator under makes working on it more difficult I think, but the fans can just chill out under there with no problem.

you should be able to run a triple rad on the bottom but you will have to do some cutting. what you don't see is that there is plenty of space foward into the drive bay area. and yes there is plenty of clearance for the fans.

oh and the only reason i went with two rads instead of a triple is this res->pump->chipset->cpu->rad->gpu1->gpu2. that way nothing really gets the hot end of the deal. running an x2 4200+ @3ghz, 2x8800 gts 320mb@ 620/1030, max temps gpu 46, cpu 37, chipset 28. idle 39/27/27.

I have a stacker 830 and a 360mm rad and i love it i did have to mod it by cutting the bottom to allow for better airflow through the rad but you can see it at all. the only way you wouldnt be able to use a 360 rad is if you use the bottom pci slot on your mobo. Than you wont have enough clearance to put a fan on top. If you plan on filling all your pci slots go with a 240 and put it on the bottom and slide it all the way to the front of the case. Hope that was helpful.;)

hey guys, sorry ive been away partying my pants off in europe and yes i did go to Ibiza.

but all this is very helpful, i borrowed my friends dremel and its time to start cutting :)

If you want to use all of your PCI slots, you could always flip the MB tray and have it mounted BTX style with the cpu at the bottom. It is very easy to do on the 830 and you should have enough clearance for the rad still.

Back