• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 TEMP ISSUE,VERY DETAILED,looking for answers!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anna99

Registered
E8400 TEMP ISSUE,VERY DETAILED,looking for answers!!!!

RECENTLY I FOUND LOTS PPL HAVE SAME TEMP ISSUE WITH NEW E8400
I HAVE A E8400 BATCH#Q746AXXX BRAND NEW BUILT SYSTEM,i first bought a E6850 cpu and core temp both run around 35C,later on i picked up a E8400 and installed,but i realized cpu temp is 3-5c cooler but core temp is 10c higher than the E6850,so i start researching the forums,very confusing i found lots ppl have same high temp as mine,but some ppl have a much lower core temp,some are as low as 20C ish and 30C and 40C ish.

i have done these:
1.reinstall my cpu cooler 8-10 times(some ppl say might be a contact issue)
2.apply thermal grease with a drop or flat surface,swapped from zalman to artic silver 5(tried a single drop in center or full flat surface)
3.swapped cpu cooler with another diff one.
but i still get same temp result.

UNUSUAL THINGS:
1.even coretemp or HWmonitor reads core temp at 60c,my heatsink still feels very cool,when i touched my old amd64 heatsink,it feels warm.so i think may be my cooler is not contact with my cpu,but whenever i pull it out,it feels very sticky with cpu,i had to force a little bit to take the cooler out.then i tried No.2

2.i disconnected fan and leave heatsink on,my cpu temp went up slowly 5-8C higher and core temp went up 5C only.(i thought my cooler is bad or useless then i completely removed it,boot up,touched cpu,it is so hot and system shuts off,i also went to bought another cooler,same temp result,so it's not cpu cooler,but both cooler i tried r zalman 9700,one is copper one is nt)

3.core temp only went up around 5C when overclock from stock speed to 4.05ghz,my older cpu gets much hotter even with a 200mhz increasement.i think something is WRONG

4.when i do stress cpu test,both core and cpu temp reading increase rapidly less than a sec,for example,core temp idle shows at 49c,right after i click ORTHOS go,core temp jumps to 59c instant,then goes 1c higher per sec,peak at 63C,after i click stop,core temp reading jump down to 52C instant then goes 1C lower per sec and stop at 49C,isnt temp increasement should be at a slow rate with 1C in between???

I AM USING A ZALMAN 9700 NT which should be a good cooler,and i read some ppl from china have the same temp issue,some as high as mine,some even higher,and some are very low.so whats the deal???

current reading is cpu temp 33c,core temp 49c [email protected]@1.32v
i am using EVGA 780I flashed to latest bios.

but everything runs fine,so any experts can figure out what's going on????

Last edited:
fast temp increase i would expect... its a 65watt TDP cpu at 45nm the wattager per sqaure cm/mm is higher then 65nm/65watt TDP cpu. the 9700NT isnt what i see recommended around here for ocing, im not sure where they say it is..you tried 2 coolers but both were basicly the same not matter what they were made of... did you try a Ultra120E/TT/BT?

the temps not reading right is either a bios update issue or if your using coretemp... coolest needs to make another update. im not sure why it seems hard to figure out..

welcome to the forums m8 :p

what Evilsizer said - wait for updates, both BIOS and all the apps you are using.

keep in mind, [email protected]+v can realistically get you into 60c territory on load so use it as a measuring stick for now.

test for stability at 4ghz; if it passes - you good, no mater what the temps reading might be. and don't worry about it - most people around are not getting accurate readings; doesn't mean we'll stop overclocking just because of it :p

fast temp increase i would expect... its a 65watt TDP cpu at 45nm the wattager per sqaure cm/mm is higher then 65nm/65watt TDP cpu. the 9700NT isnt what i see recommended around here for ocing, im not sure where they say it is..you tried 2 coolers but both were basicly the same not matter what they were made of... did you try a Ultra120E/TT/BT?

the temps not reading right is either a bios update issue or if your using coretemp... coolest needs to make another update. im not sure why it seems hard to figure out..

the thing is if i run at stock speed,my cpu temp is 30-33c core temp is 42-45c,not much diff.so i dont think my zalman 9700 can do anything with it.some other ppl using diff cooler have same temp issue as mine.i also read reviews about cpu coolers,the result between big typhoon and 9700 is too tiny to be concerned.and i see lots other ppl post their result running stress test with 4ghz but only show 40-50c with coretemp,they post the pictures.

the only thing left i can think is the cpu batch,some may run a lot cooler.otherwise why same coretemp 0.96.1 shows 10-20c diff with same settings??

Last edited:
anna
programs dont just majicly work with cpus.. they have to be coded to correctly ID them and then from there read the thermal signal from the die. it just doesnt happen over night... just a bit o patience is what you need. :)

anna
programs dont just majicly work with cpus.. they have to be coded to correctly ID them and then from there read the thermal signal from the die. it just doesnt happen over night... just a bit o patience is what you need. :)

but why someone post their 4ghz core temp at 40c full load with same coretemp software???

bios update, asus seems to have my bios correct I would say. I have not seen as many people with asus boards having problems. The latest bios for my board from asus states its calculates he temp differently, im guessing thats why my temps seem ok

calm down, if the heatsink is seated correctly you are not going to have a problem, im sure a fix will come out

these chips run cool on stock volts if your afraid run stock volts and you will be fine

anna99, the temp probs in the E8400 are stuffed. The Coolest (the guy who makes coretemp) reports that according to Intels spec, his program is reading the temps correctly. In other words, coretemp is reading what the cpu is telling it. Basically the blame gose to intel because they stuffed up and now the temp probes don't work. Case and point, my E8400. According to coretemp, one core is locked at 43c, the other at 51c. They will not read any lower than this, ever... Once the temp moves above these values its starts to rise, but other report completely frozen probs (sometimes just reading 7c!). My motherboard reports 34c on the cpu all the time, i have never seen it move off this value (this may be fixed in future bios though).

Lenovo, the major laptop vendor, has sent back all thier E8xxx cpus because of "issues with temperature sensors" (i saw this in another thread here, so i have no referance, srry).

So basically we are stuck. I personaly choose to beleve my reported temps(when they move), but there is no eveidance pointing to the fact i should. In short, you are not alone. Every single E8x00 seems to have these issues. I think it requires a new stepping to fix myself, so i don't think it will ever change. Lets hope i'm wrong.

My E8400 runs a bit hot too, 40C idle, 50C under load. Planning on swapping out the arctic 7 in exchange for a Tuniq Tower 120 and seeing if it's the heatsink or the chip...

If it turns out it is the chip, do we have any recourse from Intel? RMA?

but why someone post their 4ghz core temp at 40c full load with same coretemp software???

Because its the only software available that we have to work with. Be patient, a new version will be out sooner or later.

Because its the only software available that we have to work with. Be patient, a new version will be out sooner or later.

I don't think the software is wrong, I think it's the chips. My BIOS reads 24C, once I get into Windows I'm looking at 38C-39C and a high of 51C on load.

I have the exact same issue. I have a Freezer 7 pro and an e8400 in a Asus P5N-E SLI, I replaced a e6600 with same heatsink that ran at 34 celsius or below.

At idle, coretemp reports the e8400 at 50 degrees celsius although the motherboard (asus probe) reports it at 30 degrees celsius. I have reinstalled the heatsink 3 different time with and without AS5, doesn't seem to make any difference and as reported earlier in this thread the heatsink is cool to the touch.

Asus P5N-E SLI (BIOS 803)
e8400 @ stock for now
8GB A-Data DDR-400
2x evga 8800gt (SLI)

Does it really matter if the on-chip thermal device is improperly reporting the temps? As long as the chip clocks great and with good voltage, whats the problem?

today i took my mother board out,i was trying to reset the braket and back plate,i found the zalman back plate is touching a small solder drop which makes the plate uneven,and zalman plastic plate is hard without any foam,i remember when i choose full fan speed it didnt bring the cpu temp down,and i unpluged the fan it only made cpu go 5c higher,so i think the temp issue must be the heatsink,i think might be a uneven contact.

then i went to frys bought a chilltec cooler which should be the best without water cooling,and guess what??

my cpu temp is showing 29-33c and core temp is 47-49c which is not big change from zalman 9700,but the reader comes with the cooler shows my cpu temp is 24C.but i dont know why the fan speed is switching between 2000rpm to 2500rpm every few seconds,and bring my cpu from 33c to 29c then slow down and bring cpu up to 33c then speed up,doing this loop all the time.

at least this time fan speed will make a difference and the cpu/core temp is changing based on the fan speed,which my zalman 9700 never did.

i guess i wont mess with this machine any more,i spent 1 week building it,here r the troubles i found and solved:

1.blue screen when install windows by doing a raid 0.
answer:evga 780i request 2 raid driver load from floopy instead of my older MB only needed one.
2.after loading killer nic card driver,windows keeps blue screen or hang
answer:killer nic driver only work with xp sp2,my fresh loading was original xp.
3.smart reporting my raid 0 is healthy but one of the drive is failing.i was using 2 74gb raptor.
answer:replaced with 2 150gb raptor,smart now wont even recognize my drives,it could be a false warning to my 74gb raptor.
4.couldnt enable sli with my 8800gts 512mb.
answer:i dont know why but i have to load video card driver 1st to let computer recognize my video cards,then update xp patches then load video cards driver again,then the 3d settings option appeared in the nivida control panel which is letting me enable sli.
5.xp only show 1 cpu.
answer:after i did all this,reloading xp tons times,loading my games and ready to play,i found cpu temp reports only 1core,then i check task manager,only 1 cpu graph showing.i read someone says u have to download a xp dual core patch,i did,same thing,finally i found out the my pc is under ACPI standard pc instead of ACPI multiprossor pc,i reload xp again using F5,chose manually install ACPI multiprossor pc,after copying all the files,it didnt bring up the xp install screen.I FOUND OUT I DISABLED A BIOS OPTION WHICH SAYS APIC,BIOS EXPLAINS IT WITH ADVANCED PROGRAMMABLE INTERRUPT CONTROL .i enabled it and reinstalled xp,dual core works now,i still dont understand what is APIC will do me,isnt it should be ACPI,evga bios mispelled that???
6. temp issue
answer:no answers yet,the only thing it could be is the some e8400 r cooler than the others,or no bios or coretemp softerware can read e8400 yet.

Last edited:
i think the chilltec cooler reader is right,when i stress testing cpu,instead of the coretemp shows temp jump 10c per sec,chilltec reader showing it at slowly climbing rate about 2sec per C,and it went from 24C to 28C,and i touch the heatsink,it deos feel warm.

I find it much faster and a lot less eventful to create a custom XP install disk using nLite (free utility). You can slip-stream all the Service Packs, and latest Hotfixes, so that you won't have to do all that downloading and installing later using Windows Updates. You can even add drivers if you want.

E8400
abit ip35-E

Temps, using e6750 32c idle
switched to
e8400 idle, no overclocking 65c.....:mad:
Overclocking to 4.1ghz, temp raise 4c to 68c idle.:confused:
temp using orthos, 95c.:bang head

Temps are way off, tested bios 15 and now bios 14, no difference.
Bios temp is 50c.

Watercooling.
re-seated the block.
was off the 1 time I tried not proper contact, did seat properly, temps did go down from 66c to 62c ;)

bios or e8400 issue?

Back