• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Ivy Bridge Temperatures - It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
microscopic stress cracks in the Indium soldier based TIM... mayb this is the issue. Though this article seems a little old to be relevant to a 2012 launch. I could see how striving for "uniform" heat dissipation and heat cycle stress cracks of the STIM could push intel to use simple TIM this go around. I still hope they revise this asap for future batches.

Nice post on the intel link, good reading just for fun.

Intel pulling a fast one.

Perhaps it's to try and subdue overclocking long enough for intel to milk Ivy Bridge for better performance values in later models. Same processor, release it 8 times, minor tweaks to the first 4 then for 5-8 solder instead of TiM and add a major off the shelf performance boost to the late models. Ahhh good old intel :p

@wingman99, yes page 10 if going by pdf page counter, though page 9 is printed on that page, since page 9 of the article. Debated whether to say page 9 or 10, wasnt sure which would make more sense.

@dtrunk, they test each cpu, and they worked out voids a long time ago. Just posted this to show the thermal conductivity of intels indium solder die attach, 87 w/mk and melting temp 157C.

Looks to be an artificial barrier then. Does it surprise anybody that Intel would do this when they're ahead of AMD performance wise? If AMD catch up we'll probably see them go back to a soldered IHS and boom, their back in front again. Due to a new and improved IB :rolleyes:

^^^ Hmmm, very interesting.... Will have to see how the final retail products are on heat. If these chips remain hot then I suspect my next chip will definitely be Piledriver....

Kyle, the test that you linked to is likely to have issues with mounting pressure when giving up the thickness of the IHS and a mount intended for used with a given thickness chip (chip with IHS-in this instance). would guess it had very low mounting force which could change temps for the worse very easily
I would trust a scenario much more with just having a mounting system that went through the mobo to mount the hsf or waterblock. and at least having a chance to get good pressure on the chip

I don't think that the cooler used is meant for use on a cpu without heatspreader. I think it needs a little more mass at the base to distribute the heat to all of the heatpipes.

I don't think that the cooler used is meant for use on a cpu without heatspreader. I think it needs a little more mass at the base to distribute the heat to all of the heatpipes.

That too, but I think its fine because it doesn't have bare heatpipes. The cooler is not the problem, at this point it is mounting pressure. The fact that the temps went UP when ISH was removed, means there is at least some pressure problem. This can be easily verified by applying pressure on the cooler while maintaining counterpressure on the backplate.. using a hand /(or screwdriver while watching the temperature difference (in small increments) as pressure if mounting allows for more tightening headroom) is gradually applied. This way a knee temperature could be found depending on pressure mount.

Good points, who here is gonna be the guinea pig that takes their IHS since I know you guys have good mounting setups :D

Kyle, the test that you linked to is likely to have issues with mounting pressure when giving up the thickness of the IHS and a mount intended for used with a given thickness chip (chip with IHS-in this instance). would guess it had very low mounting force which could change temps for the worse very easily
I would trust a scenario much more with just having a mounting system that went through the mobo to mount the hsf or waterblock. and at least having a chance to get good pressure on the chip

That too, but I think its fine because it doesn't have bare heatpipes. The cooler is not the problem, at this point it is mounting pressure. The fact that the temps went UP when ISH was removed, means there is at least some pressure problem. This can be easily verified by applying pressure on the cooler while maintaining counterpressure on the backplate.. using a hand /(or screwdriver while watching the temperature difference (in small increments) as pressure if mounting allows for more tightening headroom) is gradually applied. This way a knee temperature could be found depending on pressure mount.

What about a Venomous X with its variable pressure knob? Sounds like it may be a good heatsink for testing direct die cooling, once it's lapped to be sure it's flat as possible to match the die.

What about a Venomous X with its variable pressure knob? Sounds like it may be a good heatsink for testing direct die cooling, once it's lapped to be sure it's flat as possible to match the die.

That would be quite prefect..

I would like to see some one using no IHS with indigo xtreme. Like this we can remove all the speculation about bad contact with the die as this "TIM" performance doesn't vary with mounting pressure.

Was late to getting back to this discussion, but thanks have been distributed to everyone that covered the basic points I would have.

That would be quite prefect..

I asked because I have one and it's been lapped, and wanted opinions :D

Plus, you can increase the pressure further by putting something inside where the knob screws down.

Back