• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu block, suggestions and advice most welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creep-DK

Topic kinda says it all, im in the market for a cpu block, its been like 6-7 years since ive build any wc setups....so ive ofc been reading tests like mad, but theres nothing better than hearing from ppl who actually use the blocks, i will most likely be using http://foto.lolo.dk/#2.1 sry bout pics only but i cant seem to find a link for it anymore...i might get a very good deal on that(temp solution to keep costs down...oh well i might like it and keep it)..used but only few hours and that would mean i dont need to mod my case or anything just now.
Anyways that is just rad, fans and a small reservoir obviously i'll need a cpu block aswell and ive been looking at http://hw-lab.com/cuplex-kryos-review.html the xt model as i can get that at a very reasonable price....but some reviews say its rather restrictive when it comes to flow, you guys think that would be a problem as i will probably be using fairly long tubes ?
If anyone got any other blocks you can recommend over that one feel free to let me know, obviously i'd love to save money BUT thats not the major concern i'd rather pay more if thats the better choice.

That block would be fine, it's restrictive, but not terribly. It has enough potential to keep modern chips cool. You didn't mention what CPU, so make sure you can get the right mounting hardware for your chip, holes have changed sice the I7 920.

No idea about the pump/rad setup. If 'should' be okay for a CPU loop, I have no idea if that pump has a good flow rate or is relaible. Or if it's over prices and has unnessasery featurues.

A EK pump and an EK rad would probably be a lot cheaper (being on Denmark), add 3 fans, all you need.

Lol your right, didnt say what cpu its gonna cool...but its my i5 2550k in my sig, actually that external rad, pump, res triple fan will probably cost me less than a 360 rad alone here...so imo a bargain, especially as its barely been used, as for the block it comes with lga1155 mounting that i need, and i think ive seen 2011 mounting available for it aswell...might be wrong tho, but no biggie for me atm.
Just found out on Watercools german forum that the pump is a Eheim compact 600, that should be able to handle it i reckon ?

but he's going to pay 20%VAT from EK, right?

I'd suggest EK Supreme HF cpu block. Most will argue that the Apogee HD or Supreme HF are among the top choices. I personally didn't skimp on $$ for the CPU block. You're running a i5 at nearly 5ghz; i'd suggest a more expensive block. Though we may be talking about ~1-2 C difference.

from what I can see about your rad/pump/res/housing it should work fine, or at least be a good starting point. I think that pump is a cheaper pump mainly found in europe, should work. Reminds me of my fish tank fish pump, so i stay away from that style; but since it is all integrated and setup it should be just fine.

Looks like your getting a used rad/pump setup, the Kyros was popular when it came out, it's a a snazzy looking block.

No idea about that pump. Your EU, I'm US. Gonna have to find pump curves etc. That's your job.

Unless the rad/pump assy is gunked up etc, I don't see why not give it a try. It's just a hobby.

Well according to the seller its only been running a few hours then put on a shelf so it shouldnt be gunked up, when i think about it i actually think ive had one of those pumps back in the prescott days was a pump/res solution from alphacool...well i tore it apart and made my own res....considerably larger....external res with quite long 0.5m+ tubes and it didnt have any problem with that.
I'm not running my 2500k @ 4.9ghz 24/7, thats just for benching...normally i run it @ 4.5ghz.
As to budget, dont really have one....just dont wanna spend more than neccesary really lol, i just stumbled upon a going out of business sale with the kryos XT for 58 usd, which here is dirt cheap really.

Btw in comparison EK HF block is 88 USD here, quite a big price diff and thats the cheap versions not the all copper one.

dtrunk is right, those are two of the best water blocks for CPU's. I highly recommend the HF supreme. It is a high flow block vs. the Kryos which is a lower flow. Will it really change your performance much? no... But every bit of performance counts :)

Read some reviews on the XSPC RayStorm.

Bought this as a stop gap block on my new build and now plan to stick with it.

Shadow300 the flow was exactly why i started this thread, from reviews and all theres no doubt that the kryos is a good block and a bargain where ive seen it.....but the lower flow paired with the fact that i will be using fairly long tubes did worry me a bit, that and the fact that the pump aint all that powerful, adjustable tho but not among the most powerful.
Griff65 i have read quite a few reviews on the raystorm and it do get very good reviews and i already had that in my sights, appears that its pretty much on par with the EK HF price on both is the same here so i guess i've kinda narrowed it down to 2 choices now....now i just need to decide which lol
On another note the Raystorm looks awesome with blue leds, anyways i know tomorrow if i get that allinone rad/pump/res and im not gonna decide before i know what kinda money i'll be needing, i rather fancy the allinone tho i must say....if i give it a black paint it'll look awesome on top of my CM 690 case and i wont have to mod it lol

Good choices on those two, both are very good blocks and you're definitely right about the Raystorm looking good. That's the block that's going in my system.

Yeah it does look very good, ofc i wont be choosing just coz it looks good if i choose that, but it's definately a plus.

Have you already bought all your other pieces? Cause there's an XCPC kit that came out not too long ago that came with the raystorm block as well as other high quality parts.

No havent bought anything yet as im waiting till tomorrow to see if i get that allinone rad/res/pump mentioned in op before i start buying parts.
Can't seem to find a kit containing the raystorm though, only kits with the rasa block :shrug:

Edit: found it at a UK shop... 309$ for 360 kit plus shipping, BUT they cant deliver atm...should've been in stock on the 6th....

Last edited:
Topic kinda says it all, im in the market for a cpu block, its been like 6-7 years since ive build any wc setups....so ive ofc been reading tests like mad, but theres nothing better than hearing from ppl who actually use the blocks, i will most likely be using http://foto.lolo.dk/#2.1 sry bout pics only but i cant seem to find a link for it anymore...i might get a very good deal on that(temp solution to keep costs down...oh well i might like it and keep it)..used but only few hours and that would mean i dont need to mod my case or anything just now.
Anyways that is just rad, fans and a small reservoir obviously i'll need a cpu block aswell and ive been looking at http://hw-lab.com/cuplex-kryos-review.html the xt model as i can get that at a very reasonable price....but some reviews say its rather restrictive when it comes to flow, you guys think that would be a problem as i will probably be using fairly long tubes ?
If anyone got any other blocks you can recommend over that one feel free to let me know, obviously i'd love to save money BUT thats not the major concern i'd rather pay more if thats the better choice.

I've been using a swiftech apogee HD for over a week now and I'm pretty satisfied!! see my original thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704251

This Core Temp shot was after 12+ hours of Prime95 blend tests. Temps are still getting better to as AS5 is slowly starting to burn-in..

Attachments

• core.jpg
    core.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 431
Your right Conumdrum, the 10$ i save buying from frozencpu i will most likely pay on shipping instead....AND there will be longer shipping time which i definately dont want when i buy stuff :rofl:
Nice build Leewaa, but tbh i dont know what kinda temps to expect on 1366 so kinda hard for me to get anything out of your temps, i believe my 2500k runs cooler ? im just guessing as your temps are about the same as i would get if i ran mine at 4 ghz using my http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cpu_cooler/kuhler-h2o-920/0-761345-77086-6.aspx

Your right Conumdrum, the 10$ i save buying from frozencpu i will most likely pay on shipping instead....AND there will be longer shipping time which i definately dont want when i buy stuff :rofl:
Nice build Leewaa, but tbh i dont know what kinda temps to expect on 1366 so kinda hard for me to get anything out of your temps, i believe my 2500k runs cooler ? im just guessing as your temps are about the same as i would get if i ran mine at 4 ghz using my http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cpu_cooler/kuhler-h2o-920/0-761345-77086-6.aspx

That's interesting about the temps.. I was expecting better temps from water cooling however if your right then things make more sense now.. I never looked into or compared standard CPU temperatures...

Back