• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto-Dim Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamato

My HTPC/Gaming rig is hooked to a Panasonic Plasma, and while the chance of screen burn in is rare, I like to do what I can to prevent it. Basically, If my GF is gaming, pauses, and walks away for a while, I want the screen to dim or shutoff after a certain time of inactivity. Is there a way to do this?

Won't windows do it through power savings . You can set time out lower to say 5 minutes?

I've had it time out while running P95 before if the mouse isn't moved.

Unless it's a really old plasma, it should have burn protection on the TV itself. What model is it? Check the manual or something online for pixel scrolling or pixel shifting.

That said, you can change the power settings as Johan suggested. It will still work in a game, but if it doesn't you should be able to change the application settings itself to allow it.

It's a Panasonic. Don't know the model off-hand. It does have measures to help prevent burn in; it shifts the screen every 5 or 10 minutes, and it has a white bar wipe mode. Just wasn't sure if I was 100% covered. Image retention happens a lot with the TV, just not permanently.

How long of an "idle" are we talking here? lol If its 20-30 minutes, the burn in will be fine. I've left plenty of games on overnight on accident, never had burn in problems. Have a panasonic vierra myself, no issues.

Back