• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using the Zalman 7000A-Alcu without the Fan mate may damage mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bleed

anyone here using theirs without the fan mate? I heard it draws too much current and can overheat and damage the mobo headers. is this true? im not using the fan mate on mine thats why im a bit concerned :(

Im not sure where you heard that, but i HIGHLY doubt thats true. The fan on that Zalman spins quite slowly and its designed to be powered by the MB header.

I understand if you try and run a Tornado off a MB header you might have issues, but thats a different story :D

Zalman offers Fan mate as an optional item and I' m sure that they have tested their product without fan mate. I' m also sure that if they have noticed such an increase on voltages they would warn their customers.

Anyway, if your are in doubt its the best way to connect it directly to PS.

Bleed said:
I've read it here

Notice that reply says:

Yes, if the fan draws too much current, you can overheat and damage the mobo header.

Note the "if", not "it does".

I also highly doubt that you'd have a problem plugging the fan directly into the fan header. If you're worried about it, just plug it into the Molex, or leave it plugged into the Fanmate with the Fanmate turned up all the way.

Ralf Hutter said:

Notice that reply says:

Note the "if", not "it does".

I also highly doubt that you'd have a problem plugging the fan directly into the fan header. If you're worried about it, just plug it into the Molex, or leave it plugged into the Fanmate with the Fanmate turned up all the way.

I can tell you without any doubt that plugging it into the mobo will not cause any damage, the reason I say this is because the Zalman Fanmate is rated at less than 6 watts, Zalmans doesn't list the fans voltage on the 7000a (or any fan for that matter which is Ill thinking on Zalmans part) But if the Fanmate is rated at well less than 6 watts and the fan well under the rated specs on the IC7 and safe for any mobo's fan headers

Bleed said:
I've read it here

If you go over there I give him detailed info about how abits newer boards will not boot if the fan wattage is in excess of the allowable wattage.

Abits site does not give this information but I spoke to Abit tech support in great detail about this.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=189521#post189521

If you don't want to go there this is what I wrote:

jkesa said:
Yes, if the fan draws too much current, you can overheat and damage the mobo header. What I would do if I were you is get a 3 pin to molex adapter (around $1) and hook it up straight to the power supply. If you want rpm monitoring also, cut/remove the yellow(usually) rpm wire and hook that to the mobo by itself.

YOU CAN SAFELY CONNECT THE Zalman 7000A-Aclu's FAN Header plug to the IC7-G's Mobo fan header. Period! What you would do is unessesary and simply poor advise. You have good intentions, but the advise is poor.

Also regarding the IC7-G you should note Abit implements a fan header system where the fan header will not allow a fan to run if the fan exceeds the allowable wattage, if the fan is out of the Specs of the fan header the IC7-G will not boot.

Only older Abit's older boards would fry out the fan header if the fan was to high in wattage like a Delta Black max for example.

BUT you can safely connect a Zalman 7000A-Aclu's FAN to an IC7-G's fan header with no worries.

Silversinksam said:

Yah right, I can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, but I know that you can connect a Zalman fan to an IC7-G safely :rolleyes:

<-- can't remember what SSS ate for lunch yesterday either... =P

Yeah but you should note that the fan mate reduces the voltage by a percentage and may only output 7W of power tops but the fan have a higher top speed. Just like a 40mm 5000rpm fan on their HS memory uses a PSU to fan header converter, now the 92mm is four time bigger. If in any doubt remove the fan from the HS and check the specs on the fan. You can use it still on the board but if you start to suffer from stablity problems then thats a good sign it's taking more then it should.

Dazz said:
Yeah but you should note that the fan mate reduces the voltage by a percentage and may only output 7W of power tops but the fan have a higher top speed. Just like a 40mm 5000rpm fan on their HS memory uses a PSU to fan header converter, now the 92mm is four time bigger. If in any doubt remove the fan from the HS and check the specs on the fan. You can use it still on the board but if you start to suffer from stablity problems then thats a good sign it's taking more then it should.

That's irrelevant as the fan with or without the fanmate is low enough wattage for the IC7 to be used directly with the 3 pin header I called Zalman and confirmed this for Gosh sakes. Yes the fan may decrease its rpm at the highest setting on the fanmate but as I said its irrelevant as to whether you can safely use the Zalman 7000a plugged directly into the mobo fan header.

Also heres a Post from a Zalman Engineer:

Re: CNPS7000A-Cu & Fan Mate 1
Thank you for using Zalman's product.

Zalman recommend that users of the motherboard having an "intelligent fan control function" do not make it activated, rather but use Zalman's solution as provided originally & as described for the proper usage on the manual.

You may connect the fan with the 3-pin header on motherboard directly. "RDH9025B-ZM7" fan on CNPS7000(A) rotates 2650RPM +10% at direct 12V input.

Regards,
Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN

I dont know if this means that much now that SSS made that god like post, but anyways, My old Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 ran at 5900 rpm, thats some seriouse overvolting, I wouldnt be surprised if it used up more power than a vantec tornado. It moves 75CFM at 4800 and mine was at 5900. Thats some power running through to make it spin that fast.

I have an Abit motherboard, and I had it hooked up right to the mobo, and i have not had any problems with it at all.

Now if that hairdryer sounding beast didnt short my little wimpy 3 pin header I doubt one of those zalman fans will short anything out. Also i might add that i didnt even have the 12v power connector to my mobo hooked up, my psu was already totally maxed out and my cpu was running quite fast for that PSU, and still not a single problem running it on the mobo header. Now if you were to run it off the mobo of like a gateway from 1995 with a pentum 66Mhz processor, yeah that MIGHT give you soem trouble, but these days, nah, i wouldnt worry.

-f1

modenaf1 said:
I dont know if this means that much now that SSS made that god like post, but anyways, My old Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 ran at 5900 rpm, thats some seriouse overvolting, I wouldnt be surprised if it used up more power than a vantec tornado. It moves 75CFM at 4800 and mine was at 5900. Thats some power running through to make it spin that fast.

I have an Abit motherboard, and I had it hooked up right to the mobo, and i have not had any problems with it at all.

Now if that hairdryer sounding beast didnt short my little wimpy 3 pin header I doubt one of those zalman fans will short anything out. Also i might add that i didnt even have the 12v power connector to my mobo hooked up, my psu was already totally maxed out and my cpu was running quite fast for that PSU, and still not a single problem running it on the mobo header. Now if you were to run it off the mobo of like a gateway from 1995 with a pentum 66Mhz processor, yeah that MIGHT give you soem trouble, but these days, nah, i wouldnt worry.

-f1

Why was your Smart Fan 2 running so fast? Did you 'cross' the sensor wire to make it run at top speed?

The fan mate does not itself draw any power from the motherboard (except what is needed by the fan) When it says it is rated at 6w, it means It can dissipate 6w of power which would otherwise be going to the fan without overheating. The fan-mate is only a rheostat, nothing else. If anything, it will reduce the power consumption from the motherboard.

Silversinksam said:

Why was your Smart Fan 2 running so fast? Did you 'cross' the sensor wire to make it run at top speed?

nope, just the rheostat at max. I created a thread on it back then. It was one of my first threads, actually i think it was my first thread. Anyways, other people's SMF2's were running that fast as well. For some reason the old ones were really fast. Id say it pushed more air than the tornado, but it was really loud, like my moms old hair dryer loud. It had this constant eeerrrrrr whine to it. But, my new one is like a panaflow at low rpms. But it only goes to 4800.

-f1
:cool:

modenaf1 said:

nope, just the rheostat at max. I created a thread on it back then. It was one of my first threads, actually i think it was my first thread. Anyways, other people's SMF2's were running that fast as well. For some reason the old ones were really fast. Id say it pushed more air than the tornado, but it was really loud, like my moms old hair dryer loud. It had this constant eeerrrrrr whine to it. But, my new one is like a panaflow at low rpms. But it only goes to 4800.

-f1
:cool:

Did you see This thread with this crazy bad @SS 10,500rpm counter-rotating 40mmx 50mm fan?

Its really interesting as the top blade has 5 fins and the bottom has 3 fins, I plugged it in yesterday and its CRAAAAZY, but also neat at the same time. :) It's unheard of for a 40mm x 50mm fan to put out 22cfm while counter-rotating, providing effective airflow.

Back