• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linksys WRT54G Router cooling mod (Lots of Pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

As you can see by the title, I am making a thread about a cooling mod I did to my aging (almost 5 years old!) Linksys WRT54G wireless router. This is by far the most popular router ever, it seems like everyone and their grandma has one of these (or did...) This little guy has been serving me WiFi signals for my entire street since I switched from dial-up to cable.
LinksysWRT54G.png

Here you have a fine WRT54G specimen.

But, as many of you may know, they have a signal loss problem that stems from no cooling whatsoever on the Broadcom signal chip. This is why many people had one these instead of having one. For the past week or two my little guy started getting pretty damn hot, like close to 60C with the cover off. So instead of tossing it, I decided to mod it.

So with out further ado, here's the steps I took for this mod:

dsc00855f.jpg

Here you can see the router minus the front and top covers. That square is the Broadcom chip that's getting so hot.

First, I removed the antenna and then popped the front off, and removed the top cover. Surprisingly you can take the covers off with only two screws that hold the main board to the bottom cover.

dsc00856bb.jpg

This is the full copper heatsink I stole off the CPU from an old laptop that died. This will be put over the multiple chips in the router that are getting toasty.

dsc00857c.jpg

This is the fan assembly taken from the laptop that goes with the CPU cooler pictured above.

Next, I scavenged for any heatsinks that would fit and that I could mount a fan to. At first, I thought I was gonna have to buy your typical 40mm chipset and fan heatsink like this CM one I've used before. But, I didn't want to cut a big obnoxious hole in the top and have a blue LED fan going all the time. Then I realized I had an old laptop that died and was gutted for the ODD, HDD, RAM, WLAN, and screen. So I took the CPU fan (which was molded into half of the chassis) and the CPU heatsink.

dsc008555.jpg

dsc00858bi.jpg

You can see that I had to cut one of the tabs off the HS to make it fit over the 3 chips that were getting hot.

Fitting the HS was fairly easy as it just happened to be the perfect size. It was low enough to not obstruct the cover and it was large enough to cover all three chips. At first I only cut one tab that way it would fit, since a transistor cap was in the way. But, I eventually realized that I would have to use thermal adhesive and not a mounting system, so I cut the other tabs off too.

dsc00859r.jpg

dsc00860ut.jpg

Here is the first test fit of the fan housing. I cut the rest of the laptop chassis off that was molded around it, so all that was left was the housing and air "duct". You can see 3 bolts that attach the housing to the bottom cover using spacers and washers.

The next problem was both mounting the fan in place securely and mounting the HS. I decided the easiest way would be to use a thermal adhesive to mount the HS. That left the fan housing still. I decided that three bolts with spacers would be sufficient. So I drilled three holes in the housing and on the back of the case. It took only a few minutes and it was attached perfectly. If you can't tell already, this fan housing actually sucks air in through a bottom hole and top hole then shots it across the CPU HS, which is perfect for tight spaces.

dsc00864c.jpg

Here is the "goop" I whipped up using a 1:1 ratio of Silicon adhesive and Arctic Silver 5.

After I had the fan mounted nicely, I moved on to mounting the HS. I didn't feel like waiting for some adhesive to be shipped so I decided to make my own. (Warning: I take no responsibility for anything, if you decide to use my method for making thermal adhesive.) I looked up online a while ago that you can mix regular TIM (like MX-2 or AS5) with super glue, JB weld, or epoxy. I only had some general purpose silicon adhesive laying around, so I decided to use that. I pretty much just winged it and used a 1:1 ratio. I tested my mix by sticking two pieces of scrap metal together and heating one side and testing if the other piece got as hot, which it did!

dsc00863f.jpg

A perfect fit! As you can see the fan will blow air into the HS which will provide plenty of cooling.

dsc00865pq.jpg

Here is the first test run, and it works great! As you can see, the 5V fan isn't hooked up yet and the fan cover isn't there yet.

After only a few minutes of running, the new HS rose to an astounding 52C! I am not sure if this is normal for routers, but the nerd in me is telling me that that is wayyyyy too hot.

dsc00866ei.jpg

Now the fan cover is attached and I made an air shroud to better direct air flow into the HS using tape. After I got the fan running, the HS temp dropped to 2C above ambient!

dsc00869pb.jpg

I then wired the fan to an universal AC adapter that has a sliding switch to change the voltage from 3V - 4.5V - 6V - 7.5V - 9V - 12.5V - and Off. Since it is a 5V fan, 4.5V is considered full speed although I can always switch the voltage higher and have even more cooling power! 3V is where I will leave it however, since this makes the fan inaudible, and the HS still stays VERY cold. :beer:

dsc00862fz.jpg

Here you can see how perfectly this mod fits back in the case! There's still plenty of room left for air to circulate.

dsc00861z.jpg

dsc00867g.jpg

Now the whole thing is all back together, and working perfectly. It still looks completely stock from the top.

dsc00868s.jpg

These three bolts sticking out from the bottom are the only thing that makes this router look non-stock.

And that's all folks! Thanks for reading this little mod I did, post any comments or questions.

did it help with the signal loss? Or were you just doing this for kicks? That's a nice job, I am trying to think of what to do with mine.

Nice modding to the Linksys Router, well done!
Thanks! It seemed like an easy fix, but it turned out to be kind of tough.

did it help with the signal loss? Or were you just doing this for kicks? That's a nice job, I am trying to think of what to do with mine.
Well before the mod, my router had pretty bad signal loss, connection speed loss, and complete failure where I would have to reflash the FW. Now, I've been running my network almost full bandwidth, since I am doing a LAN party right now lol, and it's been running flawlessly for hours. You could always buy that CM 40mm Heatsink and Fan kit. It's only $9 shipped. All you have to do is cut a 40mm sized square in the top cover above the Broadcom chip and replace the crappy thermal pad with some 1:1 silicon glue and AS5.

hey dooms i like tha mod!!! wanna do one for the gamer lounge???
Well, I don't normally do services. but you can PM with some details.

So can you OC the CPU and crank up the radio power now? :)

Nice mod indeed! :clap:

Lol, I do know that there is a modded Linux based FW package that runs on some of the Linksys routers that allows you to OC the "CPU" (I am not sure exactly what it OC's.)

Okay, I found it. It's called DD-WRT and I am pretty sure it's a fairly common mod too. I am not sure if this is the FW with OC'ing support or if I am thinking of something else.

You can OC the CPU and increase Radio Power with DDWRT :) I'd recommend the SP2 Vintage Mini build for the WRT54G...

:cool:

Does it have a noticeable speed increase or anything? I heard it only increases the efficiency of making connections and not necessarily the speed.

It won't speed up your Internet connection but could speed up the TCP/UDP connection process - resulting in snappier page loads (liken it to a drive's access times). Increasing the Radio Power will make it throw out a stronger signal, but won't help with the receiver side of the WiFi (you'd need Antennas or a stronger WiFi adaptor to help there).

I run mine at 216MHz (lowest overclock) and like 75mw of Radio power. Seems very stable...

:cool:

Very nice. I plan on adding some cooling and OC my WRT54GL router, but I'm gonna wait until the warranty is over :). Just in case.

Well I've been reading all the instructions to flashing to DD-WRT so I can OC (after all, isn't that what these forums are based around?) But there's a ton of crap you have to do and it seems pretty sketchy still. How'd you do your install Randyman?

I haven't flashed from the stock Linksys firmware in quite a few years - so I don't recall the initial flashing process. I just followed the directions and all was good ;) It's not really complicated - you just have to follow the directions as not to brick the router you just worked so hard modding :eek:

i have a wrt54gl running tomato and the last few weeks the wireless signal has been getting progressively worse, i dont know if its possible to monitor the temperature in tomato , i googeled about it and found this thread.

do you think mine needs any cooling improvements? or somthing else that is causing problems with the wifi?

thanks , mark

i have a wrt54gl running tomato and the last few weeks the wireless signal has been getting progressively worse, i dont know if its possible to monitor the temperature in tomato , i googeled about it and found this thread.

do you think mine needs any cooling improvements? or somthing else that is causing problems with the wifi?

thanks , mark
I'd be interested in this too, since I have an Asus router running Tomato. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to check the temperature, though it does have an option for increasing antenna power.

Nice mod! I'm impressed at how clean you were able to make it.

this is really nice mod, definitely will help keep it running cooler and extend its life, I got a GL version of this and it's a real workhorse.

i tried modding my router and connect the fan to the router power supply and i lost signal really bad

Unfortunately, the wifi transceiver is untouched by this mod, except for additional airflow.

The three covered chips are the broadcom SoC, the Flashmem and the RAM.

FYI: All the wifi stuff is under that silver cage in the top right of pic #2

Back