• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Missing pin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dyl

Registered
Long story short, my CPUs pins became bent after trying to place it in a faulty motherboard. (the motherboard had bits of something in a few pinholes, filling them up :shock:)
CPU is an AMD Athlon II x2 270 3.4Ghz (stockclocked)

Tried to do a home-repair (the CPUs $40 brand new, so wasn't worried) and I accidentally broke a pin off, other then that every other pin is fine and straight enough that it went into the socket and booted. :)attn:)

My question is, will this missing pin be a problem in the future? I ran prime95 for ~30minutes without any problems. (stayed around ~55degrees as well, third party fan)

Picture before repair, missing pin is one (not sure exactly) of the bent pins:
5Ps80.jpg

Sorry if this is wrong section, decided to post it in general CPU discussion as missing pins can be a problem for both intel and AMD CPUs.

This is awesome! I would love to know what that pin does, good idea, and nice job on the fix (for the most part)! :)

Some pins are redundant. You just got lucky in this case. :)

Side note, Intel CPUs do not have pins, the motherboard does.

Quite a few of the pins are redundant - looks like you lost one of those. Without knowing which pin exactly, no way to tell what it does but if you're curious, you may be able to find a CPU pinout map for that processor
I gotta agree with Mokrunka, that is cool that it seems to be working properly

I had an old 486 back in the day with a missing pin, according to the white paper pinout it was related to 32-bit operation. It worked fine for DOS, the instant it tried to run a 32-bit program it would hard lock, requiring a reboot. It still mostly worked fine. :)

I know that AM2 Athlon Processors have a good handful of blanks. Had 2 6400+ cpus I got from e-bay, both missing pins on separate sides of the PCB. Both worked fine, Mr. Scott has one of them. Is also de-lidded to.

Similar thing happened to a friends AMD CPU. May have been one of the AM2 Athlons ShrimpBrime was talking about, as he was trying to build a PC on a sub-$400 budget (Microcenter CPU + motherboard combo FTW). Accidentally bent a pin and couldn't straighten it, but he hooked it up and was Prime stable.

Back