• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE - Message Box Pop Up - How stop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

IE consistently has this extremely annoying box with a yellow line across the top pop up at the bottom of the screen asking me all kind of annoying questions. Once in a while the response is needed (like where to save a downloaded file) but most of the time its the same crap about storing passwords, autocomplete, and other things. How do I make these boxes go away for good?

You know I did this and I still see that stuff pop up, even though I did this:

Tools > Internet options [bottom] > Content TAB > Auto Complete Settings button > UNCHECK everything > OK

While we're at it, here are a couple of other annoyances I eliminated:

* Disable Internet Explorer message when opening Internet Explorer: Your current settings put your computer at risk. Copy this into Notepad and save as a .reg file then double click on it to import it into registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"DisableFirstRunCustomize"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"DisableFirstRunCustomize"=-

* Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file' nag from showing up *whenever* you install new software. Copy this into Notepad and save as a .reg file then double click on it to import it into registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
"NoNewAppAlert"=dword:00000001

Thanks for the suggestion. I unchecked everything but "Browsing History" but even after a number of reboots that annoying box pops up asking if I want to autocomplete something or other. I think I am going to try Chrome.

Yes. Or Firefox.

When I reimage my system and use Internet Explorer (for testing purposes) I do get those Auto-complete prompts, there probably is a way to disable them in the registry, we just didn't make enough of an effort to find out what they are. :( The program options which are supposed to disable them are *not* doing it, as you have found out.

I installed Chrome about 2 hours ago and so far really like it. It has a lean and fast feel to it. So far nothing has popped up!

One problem I just noticed effects forums like this. When I log on and check "Remember me", next time I start Chrome, it does not remember me and I have to log on again. I am sure there is a fix but I have not found it yet.

If you are using it from a home computer, why is it necessary to log into a web browser?

Back