• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this harmful to my vid card??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Top Hat Theater said:
After 60fps, nope. Some people will claim otherwise but the majority of people can't tell the difference between 75 and 300fps.

~THT

Who cares what people claim the fact of the matter is that the human eye cant see over 60fps.

I learned this while watching my dad edit video (he use to produce commercials). I noticed that the tapes always ran at 60FPS and i asked him why it wasnt more. He told me why...i've looked it up...the human eye cant see more then 60fps...give or take obviously.

I play CS ALOT!!! if you want the most frames you can get (100 being the most) then leave v-sync off. but in my experience, v-sync gives a much smoother game play. it locks the frames to your monitors refresh rate (unless your fps arent that high to begin with), so if you have a good monitor that can run 100hz refresh at good resolutions, then its even better. i run CS at 1152x864, and my monitors highest refresh rate at that res is 85hz. so i play CS at a constant 85fps, but its much smoother than running at 100 with out v-sync

clown720 said:
I play CS ALOT!!! if you want the most frames you can get (100 being the most) then leave v-sync off. but in my experience, v-sync gives a much smoother game play. it locks the frames to your monitors refresh rate (unless your fps arent that high to begin with), so if you have a good monitor that can run 100hz refresh at good resolutions, then its even better. i run CS at 1152x864, and my monitors highest refresh rate at that res is 85hz. so i play CS at a constant 85fps, but its much smoother than running at 100 with out v-sync

oh, really ,, so ur saying that i better leave it on??? if i do so, do i get smoother gameplay??? more fps doesn't matter, as ppl in this thread discussed, human eyes can't tell the difference between 60fps and 300fps. according to u, consistency plays a big role in cs. but my question here is that did u mean that fps won't drop as much when u turn it on???

Depending on your connection, the higher you set your fps the more you will lag in the game online. I generally set my fps 45 maxed out, since that gives me good pings. You can never tell the difference between 45 fps and say, 100 fps. Hell, I'm not looking at the game enough to notice, I'm watching the guys I'm shooting ;). If you are playing a single-player game though, there is no need to limit your fps.

you can't see a difference in 45fps and 100fps? It would **** me off if I got anything below 70fps...
Just for refrence: my P3 933 with a GeF2 MX400 64mb with 256mb sdram would be stable at around 60~70 fps on all maps excluding the ones like torn. It sounds like your fps are a little too slow...

Luciferase said:
Depending on your connection, the higher you set your fps the more you will lag in the game online. I generally set my fps 45 maxed out, since that gives me good pings. You can never tell the difference between 45 fps and say, 100 fps. Hell, I'm not looking at the game enough to notice, I'm watching the guys I'm shooting ;). If you are playing a single-player game though, there is no need to limit your fps.

With of whithout v-sync?????

BomberBear said:
you can't see a difference in 45fps and 100fps? It would **** me off if I got anything below 70fps...
Just for refrence: my P3 933 with a GeF2 MX400 64mb with 256mb sdram would be stable at around 60~70 fps on all maps excluding the ones like torn. It sounds like your fps are a little too slow...

With or without v-sync??

With or without vsync? Who cares? Vsync isn't bad, but for me it doesn't do much. All I'm trying to say in regards to my setup is when I'm playing a single player game, the config is at unlimited fps, if for no other reason than bragging rights. When I'm playing multiplayer games, I like low pings better than straight video quality. When servers lag, if there is any bandwidth to spare, I'm the guy that keeps moving:).

If you want vsync on, then do it. it sounds like vsync won't limit your card much anyway. If 60 fps is ok for you and you like smooth pictures, turn on vsync. Within the game, if you want higher fps, tweak your video settings. If fps doesn't matter, then go for quality pictures in-game.

Also, it depends on what you are playing. In RTCW, I like 40-45 fps since it helps my ping. Since my card is nowhere near stressed, it never bounces around below that. In UT2003 though, I like supreme quality, so I set everything on highest. There is no set rule, it's all personal preference, within limits.

Back