• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switch from BI Prime to BIX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banshee164

Registered
Currently have an old BI Prime, was wondering how much better a BIX would be. Would goto a heatercore but due to size constraints the BIX would be much easier to fit. I just switched over to a 2400+, currently getting around 35c idle & 42c load on it with a maze3 using the socket hold down. I have a duct pulling fresh air in through the rad, ambient is 21c. I just got done lapping the maze3 & increased the mount pressure so I figured that the temps must be due to the rad not cooling the water enough. So do you think the BIX would show a notable difference over the old BI or is it not worth switching?

I would say also vote for a heatcore..
with a heatcore.. u can always place 2 120mm fans and 2 shrouds, giving u awesome performance.

Banshee164 said:
So do you think the BIX would show a notable difference over the old BI or is it not worth switching?

No, not entirely. Maybe 2-3C, if that. A heatercore would be better, but you say that isn't an option. In that case your setup is fine ATM, :)

how much would that switch cost? as a rule of thumb, i say switching between models on anything is not going to make a difference that will blow your socks off... so ask yourself if a couple degrees difference (max) is worth 50 bucks for the BIX. good luck. :)

After measuring the space I have (almost exactly 6") I probably could just barely squeeze in a chevette core sitting on its side. Would that show a larger improvement in temps, say like 5c+ ?

Banshee164 said:
After measuring the space I have (almost exactly 6") I probably could just barely squeeze in a chevette core sitting on its side. Would that show a larger improvement in temps, say like 5c+ ?

Remember that the 6x6 area of the heater core is for the fins only, the tanks and tubes take more space.

peace.
unloaded

Back