• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon X800XL no external power required - Yea right!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul1

So I order a Radeon X800XL from newegg.com [Link]. In the system requirements it says: A 350w power supply or greater is recommended to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed
128 MB system memory or more". Check. Have that.

So I get the card today and guess what? It does require an external power source. The thing is that my power supply does NOT have that kind of connector. I double checked newegg.com to see maybe I ordered the wrong card. Nope. The right one. In the pics it's shown to have NO EXTERNAL POWER CONNECTOR. The one I have does. Pics below.

I have to RMA this card, don't I? They don't sell any kind of 4-pin power connector to PCI-E power connector converter. When I try to boot up the computer it starts beeping and the message on the screen says that I need to connect external power to it.

Attachments

• ati.jpg
    ati.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 543
Does it say in the manual you need the plug? Most XL cards don't need it. If it says in the manual you need the external plug then yes you have to RMA. I had an XL and mine didn't come with a cable or even have the slot in the back of the card for the plug.

It has the "Advanced Installation" section and the "Regular Installation" section. It has instructions for both card types. On the back of the box that the card came in howerver, it does NOT say you need external power. It says "No external power source required."

How could this have happened anyway? I'm sending it back to newegg.com tomorrow. This sucks. I'm building a PC for a client and there have been nothing but setbacks in this build. Ugh.

Point is if he needs a plug for that card it should have been supplied with it. I'm willing to bet it's probably not even needed. If you plug in the card and you get a screen saying to "plug in the auxilary power cable" then you know you need it. ;)

It does show a screen that says you need to plug in external power.

The fact is that the card was advertised as not needing an external power supply. I got something that DOES need it. It's newegg's fault as far as I'm concerned.
I'll probably send it back because shipping on that power plug bites. It's like $12 for a $2 item.

HousERaT said:
Point is if he needs a plug for that card it should have been supplied with it. I'm willing to bet it's probably not even needed. If you plug in the card and you get a screen saying to "plug in the auxilary power cable" then you know you need it. ;)

Newegg is a great but I have seen them screw up . This time it may have been the card makers fault. . everyone makes mistakes but the
from experince with online stores they'll porbably charge a resotcking fee.

That is odd, is that a branded ATI card too? I have an X800XL 256 I threw up on eBay and I can assure you it does not have that. Maybe just that card? *shrug*

on a side note..... someone reported on aother forum they purchased a X800XL and it came with a R480 core (which is the core for a X850XT). You might want to see what's under the hood before you return it. ;)

HousERaT said:

every card iv had that needs the cable came with the cable. so maybe its missing. and most sites dont tell you the card needs one anyway but it doe show a picture of the card without the conector so its neweggs fault.

Well, looking at the X800XL that I have (a DIAMOND), the PCB has the contact points for an AUX connection - normally they're just omitted entirely, but I'm willing to guess that if they just slap the connection on, it doesnt mean it needs it, but it'd be there if u want to overclock and need more power. I know that economically speaking, it doesnt make sense to mount the molex, but hey, maybe they made a mistake, ya know? Or maybe they had a bunch of PCB's prepared for XT's and then used them for XL's or mebe rebadged XT's? Idk..just some ideas...

demonR6 said:
That is odd, is that a branded ATI card too? I have an X800XL 256 I threw up on eBay and I can assure you it does not have that. Maybe just that card? *shrug*

Yea it's manufactured by ATI (ATI brand).

Its just as Houserat said. ATi has been dumping a great deal of R480 cores onto their X800XL series. Yours most likely has the same stuff that an X850XTPE has in terms of hardware.

I would higly suggest agaisnt RMAing this XL. If anything sell it to a member here on the forums.

Paul1 said:
It does show a screen that says you need to plug in external power.

The fact is that the card was advertised as not needing an external power supply. I got something that DOES need it. It's newegg's fault as far as I'm concerned.
I'll probably send it back because shipping on that power plug bites. It's like $12 for a $2 item.

Take some inniative and do a google search, I guarantee you that there are sites that have the adapter for about 3 dollars and will ship it for 4 more dollars, that's 7.00 we're talking here.

Your gonna send back the card because you don't wannt pay 12.00 shipping for a power connector? It's 12 bucks man, buy the adapter and use the card, lol. It will cost you atleast 12.00 to ship the card for rma, plus you're gonna have to wait for them to send you a new card, if they even do send a new card and not just the adapter. Why don't you just have them mail you the adapter? IMO it makes no sense to RMA for such a petty reason.

The advertisement does not say "this card does not require an external power connector", so it's not advertised as being a card that does not need exxternal power, they just forgot to say it does, there not telling you it doesn't need it.

I have 2 of the adapters you're talking about so if you want one I'll sell you one, you got PM.

don't know about you guys but i'd rather have one with the power connector, IRC the only XLs that had the connector was VIVO models when these cards were first released, or as posted above it might be an x850xt, either way having the power connector is a plus IMO...... should've gotten an up to date PSU, tmost have pci-e these days... well at least the decent ones

Houserat, wouldn't this be funny if that is something similar to the GTO2's we have?? That looks dead on like my GTO2 card. I pulled out the XL out of the box and it has the spot for the connector but none on there. If it is an R480, you hit the proverbial jackpot with that card. I am sure you could find someone that would snatch that card up in a heartbeat.

Back