• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A really odd build, not sure if I _can_ do it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Knufire

Remember something while reading this post. I'm a high school student, I'm not that experienced with this stuff.

Anyway, I've built a couple computers in the past, three I believe. The most "modding" I've done is cutting fan housing away to make a VX fit with a side fan. Anyway, my uncle is in from India, and after seeing my build, he decided he wanted an extremely customizeable one for himself, and he'll contract me to do it. With an almost ($5000) budget

He had a couple things in mind
- Completely quiet
- Had to look classy
- Eco friendly

So far, the first and third are easy. Quiet fans are a speciality of these forums, and frankly, I could dump a VX or Megahalem on the CPU without a fan, it should run fine. Passive video cards are available for most low-end cards, and I doubt he'd be gaming on this. Eco friendly parts are all over the place. A high efficiency PSU, solid state, and WD Green drive are all perfect.

My problem is his look of classy. I showed him the TT Level 10, he hated it. I showed him the Lian Li PC-X2000F (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112289), he liked it. He also liked the Antec Skeleton thing, but wire management looked a little too ugly on that, plus the top fan noise worried him. *He then said he would love a wood case.*

Now, I really doubt wood would hold a almost fanless system. So I guess I could make the metal look like wood. It seems like if you etch (no idea what that is), prime, paint it with wood stain, then put polyurethane, it looks like wood. Anybody with any experience in that.

He loves the DVD window mod on this site, so I would intergrate that. He also liked a three bay touchscreen fan controller I showed him (overkill, I know). So, my case has to have plenty of front bay slots

Here's where my dilema is. Is there a case that will meet these requirements, or would I have to just build my own. If I do, I might have to go wood, and is that wise with a fanless system? Or would I have to put some fans into it? I have some machine traning experience, milling/bandsaws, if that would help.

Last edited:
.. but what's not classy about Lian-Li cases like X2000? Going a wooden case is a wrong direction, IMO (though I believe I saw someone, probably @ [H] selling a system in a wooden case). Given that your uncle was not turn off by Antec Skeleton, X2000 (be ready to get some extra long SATA cables and power exntensions) should be quite classy. You might want to go LL A05N for clean uninterrupted look (C-02B DVD bezel is a must), but a tall, floor standing case may, perhaps, be classier.

Back