• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Droid X Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

I just stepped into the Smart phone circle and would like some feed back from some of the veterans.

1. Battery life? Mine uses 75% in a day with light use. This seems kind of crappy, but my old none smart phone could go three to 4 days with a full charge.

2. is there a better way to view the forum with the droid?

3. any tips and tricks you can share about anything with this phone.

$. what is the best case? otter box comes up a lot.

Last edited:
When it comes to web browsing on android I prefer that it tells the site that it's a desktop PC. I forget the exact method to do this but it's a browser option. As for battery life, get you a task killer. I prefer advanced task manager pro. I forget what I paid for it but it was small.

As for battery life from the screen, maybe dim the screen a bit?

Cool thanks for the info! I was going to get the task killer app but after some googling it had mixed reviews.
keep the tips coming!

You work for verison don't you! Just kidding! I did see that but then none of the cases I was looking at would say that they would fit with the extra big battery.

I tried to do my googlinh home Work before posting here but there are no straight answer on the web (cloud) lol

Heh no I don't work for any telco, I saw people on the androidforums.com talking about extended batteries for the Droid X and folks were saying the one Verizon sells is better then the competing extended batteries like the Seidos (longer life, decent price). I have similar battery woes with my Evo, mine drains the battery way too fast, I want to get an extended battery but the replacement doors turn me off, too much of a bulge. :(

Well I installed the task killer last night and so far it seems better at least since about4am but i'll give an update tonight.

I am still trying to read up on this phone and what i can do. I have been reading about RooTing but its difficult to determine which I guess ROOT or ROM to use.

For a good laugh i keep reading about Blur and how most of it is remove in these roms and i thought to my self " I have not noticed anything blurry on the phone" About 30 seconds later i felt kind of dumb......

Update: Task killer seems to be working good i still have 70% battery left compared to 20% this time yesterday with the same or more use.

75% gone after one day is a little high for the droidx since it has one of the best battery lives out there on the android phones. At the end of the day mine still has about 75-85% left and i use it quite a lot.

One of the biggest factors is the screen. Get a brightness widgit (I use one from droid-mania) and keep the screen on the lowest setting. You can still see it perfectly unless you are in bright light, then crank it up with the widgit. That and task killer after using any apps will improve the battery a lot.

I know that the task killer works good now. Im at 60% where as yesterday It was turning red at this time. I'm really thinking about rooting my phone so far there doesn't seem to be much of a down side to doing it but I have only been looking into for a few hours. Most of what I have read about rooting also is that it can improve batt life even beget.

There is an app in the marketplace called SetCPU that might allow you to underclock your phone, that could result in some pretty substantial power savings. You have to be rooted to use it.

Rooting, like jailbreaking iPhones (same thing basically), is simply awesome. It's the only way for geeks like us to roll. :)

:shock: underclocking! I thought this site had a filter for those words!
I just need to check into this rooting thing more and I will do some clocking!!
i just read that overclocking this phone to 800 doesn't affect the battery life to bad:drool:

Check out JuiceDefender, uninstall your Task Killer.

As far as rooting and custom ROM's go, the Droid X is certainly not one of the easiest devices to work with last I heard.

Just an update. The Juice defender app really helps battery life and the only issues with it that i have found is when listening to Pandora when it goes to another song JD shuts off the 3G and Pandora can't find the next song..... I have it set up in JD to not shut down 3G signal when data is being used but it doesn't seem to stop it from shutting it off. I just keep JD off when at work and using Pandora with the phone plugged in and charging.

Case: I got the Otter box commuter which is great and i don't feel like I'm going to break the phone every time i pick it up. Now i watch a lot of reviews about this case and how the usb and hdmi plugs don't fit properly and i can say at first they don't but after a few days and the very flexible rubber sets into its final resting place every thing fits great.... well the headphone plug does not sit perfectly flush but no one will care as it stays in place. I really like this case and if you search on the web there is a 20% off code to use. I got the case and a stand with free shipping all for 27 bucks!

Email: I had a rough time setting up my Roadrunner account so it would actually send emails. Receiving them was fine it just would not send. After hours of messing around and googling i found the fix.
1. delete your RR account completely
2. Add account and set it up manually (find settings online Google is your friend)
3. Where is ask for you name enter your complete Email *******@wi.rr.com (The "WI" will be different for everyone.

After that email has been working perfectly. Hope this saves someone else some time.

Rooting: Something is fishy with this! How can there be so many different ways to do this for one device? Why do none of these rooting procedures seem to work the same for everyone? I tried two different ways and it said i was rooted but it wasn't. I will wait unit this has been refined before i try again.

You may have done this by now but when I am not using them, I turn off the Bluetooth and Wifi radio's.

Although I am a hardcore iphone user. I like this site for Android info, they have a good Podcast as well, the Engadget Podcast deals with everything Andoid as well or what ever new device just came out. Nice listen in the car for an hour a week.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/

As great as our OC Forums are...your gonna have to get the hardcore info from a Phone site.

(By the way I get 2 days of battery with hard usage...just to rub it in...:chair:)

Last edited:
You may have done this by now but when I am not using them, I turn off the Bluetooth and Wifi radio's.

Although I am a hardcore iphone user. I like this site for Android info, they have a good Podcast as well, the Engadget Podcast deals with everything Andoid as well or what ever new device just came out. Nice listen in the car for an hour a week.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/

The Juice defender app shuts off bluetooth and wifi... i think it shuts off pretty much everything when the phone sleeps. Also went a turn on the phone i go into manage apps and force stop on all the crap i don't need like blockbuster and amazon mp3.... That also seemed to help battery life. And this is the main reason i wanted to root the phone was to take the crap off.
My wifes laptop was loaded with crap and had rebooting problems and i wiped the whole think and started fresh and it has not had and issues.

I really don't mind having crap installed but it really burns my back side that they block you from removing it. Its like if i have to look at it long enough i will actually use it:rolleyes: .... Its kind of like watching the same commercial on TV twice in a row:mad:

On the Home Screen, hit the Menu button, then "Settings". Scroll down to "About Phone" and open it. Go to "Battery Use" and it will give a graph of what is using it. Like this:

android-battery-use.png

I'd also suggest getting "3G Watchdog" to watch network usage.

Back