• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Upgrade? Come to Realization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I know I've posted about this in the past as is it worth it to upgrade from a i5 2500k to say a i5 3000 series or a newer one like i5 4670k /i5 4690k?

What I've really come to a conclusion with all this time and contemplating of upgrading the CPU. Its really the motherboard capabilities and improvements is the real reason to upgrade, the CPU, while yes it is supplying the overall improvements like extra PCI-E lanes, PCI-E 3.0, and even SATA improvements (being able to handle more ports), USB3.0 ports. That is the real reason to upgrade now I think IMO. Its having the extra functionality is the main reason, extra CPU power is just an after product now.

So with that will I potentially upgrade to something? Yup either a i5 4690k or just wait for the Broadwell CPU to come up with the increased improvements over the Hasewell design. Just have to make sure to grab the latest board is all for the best improvements. Does anyone else feel this way?

Please note, overall looking at this from a gaming aspect of the system. Yes going to a 4c8t CPU will have its own beneficial improvements just talking about going from an older 4core gen to a newer one.

Last edited:
If you can take advantage of the motherboard improvements is a question only you can answer

As for CPU not really unless you look at a 4c8t CPU instead. Then you would see a significant gain in certain games and software that can utilize the extra threads, Again really only a question you can answer.

Not really the most helpful post, sorry

True yes a 4c8t CPU will have larger improvements with the HT, though even going from a 2600k to a 4770k it would be the same general principle.

I should of added to the first post, gaming aspects I was looking at ;)

I don't think you will see big improvement. Most games base on graphics card performance more than CPU. Broadwell should be in couple of months, maybe 3-5 but then we will see another new chip and probably new boards. Generally should be 3 new CPU series within' a year. At the end of this year should be 100 series chipset on the market.

If you want haswell then better wait till someone will sell something like good clocking 4670/4770K for half price.

I don't know if it's helpful but I wouldn't buy all new platform if you are almost only playing games.

Woomack:
I know most people say don't buy it, and I've taken that with great consideration. Though I know most people bring up just clocks/cpu performance as reasons. Hence why bringing up the aspect of the motherboard. Maybe its my next step trying to convince myself yeah I can upgrade if I'm not looking at the CPU as being the real reason. I'm not just jumping on the opportunity this time, in the past I think I would of upgraded and convinced myself it was a worthy purchase.

What other functionality does it really provide though?

Z97 has M2/SATAe... otherwise, what else does it have that Z87 doesn't? P67/Z68 are not PCIe3 (1-2% at worst)... but they all have USB3...

Woomack:
I know most people say don't buy it, and I've taken that with great consideration. Though I know most people bring up just clocks/cpu performance as reasons. Hence why bringing up the aspect of the motherboard. Maybe its my next step trying to convince myself yeah I can upgrade if I'm not looking at the CPU as being the real reason. I'm not just jumping on the opportunity this time, in the past I think I would of upgraded and convinced myself it was a worthy purchase.
Deathman it sounds like you just want a new toy, which I get. That said, for gaming purposes, you're not going to see much an improvement. I have both a 4770k 24/7 @ 4/4 and 2500k 24/7 @ 4.5 and using the same Gpu on both systems I get a few FPS more with the 4770k, both running at 1080p. I see a 24" monitor and a 7960 in your sig if that's what you're using, I'd get get a new gpu wait for Broadwell and call it a day.

What other functionality does it really provide though?

Z97 has M2/SATAe... otherwise, what else does it have that Z87 doesn't? P67/Z68 are not PCIe3 (1-2% at worst)... but they all have USB3...

Guess that's what I'm probably getting at. Is there anything else really?

M2/SATAe (new tech for improved performance, can't go wrong there if you can utilize it)
SATA3 ports (my board has only 2, some higher end P67 I think might of had 4, so with that a newer board could prove useful to some)
PCIe3 (ok mild improvement, thought it was more 5-10%)
USB3 (more ports onboard vs getting another card? I know it was pretty new in the P67/Z68 days)

So really the only improvement... true new item that could add drastic performance now is M2/SATAe if you have a SSD to actually utilize the increased bandwidth. Guess I was presuming to much :)

Deathman it sounds like you just want a new toy, which I get. That said, for gaming purposes, you're not going to see much an improvement. I have both a 4770k 24/7 @ 4/4 and 2500k 24/7 @ 4.5 and using the same Gpu on both systems I get a few FPS more with the 4770k, both running at 1080p. I see a 24" monitor and a 7960 in your sig if that's what you're using, I'd get get a new gpu wait for Broadwell and call it a day.

Always looking for new toys :) Its more of a hmm is it worth the cost these days then... oooh shiney. Thanks for that comparison, that is exactly what I wanted to see. Its hard to find people that have 2 CPU's and same GPU's in 2 rigs at the same time to compare. Probably will shut me up with CPU for some time to come, unless i really am desperate for more SATA III ports (got 3 SSD's currently only 2 on SATA III ports).

Yeah been looking at GPU's, been trying to hold off but think this gives me ground to just do it.

Sorry if I had mixed thoughts during these posts, at work trying to think computers and conference calls. Sometimes doesn't always come out as planned :D

I've been waiting for a worthy upgrade myself. There just isn't anything really worthwhile over an overclocked i5 2500k for gaming. The only thing that has somewhat enticed me was more sata 3 ports. But is that really worth going through an upgrade just to have the same performance? It might be oooo shiny, then you realize its pretty much exactly the same.

My gf is running an [email protected] GHz with a 6870 and needs an upgrade. I'm waiting for broadwell and the next chip from ATI before upgrading, since it is right around the corner. Then I'll give my gf my computer. Though even her computer is fast and really only needs a new video card.

Just wait for broadwell. The old days of upgrading every one to two years is over. Unless you're talking tablets lol.

Forgot to say, wait a bit before picking up a SATAe drive. They aren't up to speed yet.probably when broad well gets released.

Back