• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4k TV as monitor refresh rate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nietzcki

Registered
Help I have been stuck in 19" 1360x720 monitor hell for years. :bang headTime to upgrade. Looking for a 4k tv to use as my monitor for gaming and movies. Has to be 50 inch or bigger :comp:

I have some understanding of tv hardware and video input hardware standards.
From what I have been reading:

HDMI 1.4a = 30hz @ 4k
HDMI 2 = 60hz @ 4k ?????? do I need to run dual HDMI 2.0 to get 60hz
DisplayPort 1.2 and 1.3 ???? does 1.3 a standard not yet adopted is the only one that supports 4k @ 120 hz and 8k? what about 1.2

Please correct any information I am wrong about.

Thinking about a seiki, but you can only get 30hz refreshrate. Not alot of info out there. I seen post talking about that they could do a firmware update latter on but probably not. I been looking into TCL trying to find out if its 120/60hz at 4k.

refresh rate: 60hz @ 4k minimum
Inch's neeed: 50" minimum
brands: "quality chinese" brands seiki, TCL, open to other suggestions
stores: Columbus OH, Microcenter (possible discount) , bestbuy HHgreg, walmart, newegg, tigerdirect
budget: less 1000 USD (no point in buying 1 better one I can just get 2 tvs at the same cost latter down the road buy one now another later)

Also if I can't get a 4k tv from seiki or TCL or another brand. less than 1000 USD that is 50 inch or above @ 60hz refresh rate. Please give me advice how will it effect my gaming. I do understand the hardware need (GPU and CPU) is great to get decent FPS at those resolutions.

Wait for quaity 4K's before you buy is my suggestion...30hz is not something you want with any fast action.

Literally its been 5 years i been on a small screen. I can't wait no longer I know Seiki is suppose to come out with a PRO line. no idea if that will be 60hz at 4k.

The TCL might be 60hz at 4k but im unsure

Just go 1080p. Why do you need 4k? Do you have the PC to support the gaming you want to do? It takes A LOT of horsepower to push that many pixels...

Makes no sense to go 1080. spend 100+200 more money for a 1080 large screen or a 4k at the same size for less. even at = price 4k is the winner. I will be upgrading to get a better GPU and overclock my cpu if needed. I have dual video card slots to SLI / crossfire if need be. gtx 460 <==== yes def have to upgrade 965 BE <====maybe over clock it

as stated for gaming in the post. Secondary movies and streamed content as they come out.

Anyway. Information about a generic (forced to at my budget) that can do 60hz. like TCL or another Chinese brand or info about the seiki prolines are they 60hz? etc etc

Plan for 780Ti SLI or 290X Crossfire for 4K gaming :)
Yep. So on top of that $1K for the cheap 4K monitor, you are going to drop another $1K in GPUs...

There is barely any 4K content available and I wouldn't touch a 50" sub $1K 4K TV... wait until it matures in a couple of years and GOOD monitors are out for an affordable price is my suggestion.

I just bought a 60" 1080p tv for those exact reasons. I would bet money says my tv has a better picture than the 4K at the same price (and its bigger, LOL!).

Lol, even if i can't afford a Titan still wan't to future proof so when i can afford a gpu that can do so.

Don't worry about my Rig needs just if theres a cheap one at 60hz. or will there be on plan for release in the next couple months. only way i would get a 1080 is to get a 70 inch screen. besides there is upscaling so no i wouldn't bet ur tv will be better.

Plus i can always down scale if need be to 1080. a 4k tv is a win-win no matter what. 1080 a waste now.

You said you were gaming so it had to be a consideration...

Anyway, good luck on your purchase (we lead the horse to water...). :)

Well that's why I am here to get advice, explanation of and a logical argument why go 1080 etc. or quarks about a 4k Chinese tv. For example is down scaling make the 1080 look like crap? If you don't know just say so, but if you do have advice please explain why. I don't take advice without thinking through it and testing someones logical points or most times illogical.

Tv that can do 1080 & 4k vs a tv only at 1080. hmm not a hard one to decide

Last edited:
I thought I we just did...

Like I said...

1. there is barely any 4k content available.
2. Upconverting to 4K will not give you a great picture. Think about it... how accurate can it be to 'make up' 4x more pixels than a 1080 monitor? Especially on a $1K 4K 50" tv. 1080p (blu ray would likely look fine but not 1080i and especially 720p sources).
Until then, if you have the money and really want to buy one, go ahead. But I can't guarantee you that your high-def programming will look as good (or better) as it does on your current HDTV.
3. You don't currently remotely have the horsepower to play game at 4K resolutions. You need 2 high end cards to do so.

is down scaling make the 1080 look like crap?
Not entirely sure what you mean... I think you are saying if you watch 1080p sources on the 4k will it look like crap? It won't look at good as 1080p native, that is for sure. Crap, doubtful.

Last edited:
ok yes that is what I am asking. There are upscaling cables you can get for the chinese bands. yea thats what I am asking 1080 native vs 4k's 1080. horse power isn't a concern. Because like I said I am future proofing. I might buy 2 high cards within a year. depends on my next job I get. you do have gaming , breaking bad, all I am aware of.

Tv that can do 1080 & 4k vs a tv only at 1080. hmm not a hard one to decide
Looks like you have already made your decision (I and others feel the opposite).

I had this same choice, and could have bought a 'better' 4K even and ended up with a great 1080p monitor. I will never look back. In two years, when there is content for it, I will be all over it. But I dont see the point in cheaping out on a 4k when there are great 1080p monitors in the first place. And unless you are sitting hella close, you are not going to notice the difference in the first place.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Well I have look at higher end 4k models with 4k upscaling and it looks way better than 1080. your right how will it look with a chinese brand idk. I have been in stores trying to find chinese floor displays. Going to try microcenter to see if they have one for show

Have fun running at 2FPS on your 460 until you possibly get better GPUs.

Lol i will make sure and post screen shots of my 2fps so u can laugh at my expense.

I don't find it funny.
I find it sad that you're going to spend that much money and barely be able to play back a video at 4K because of your GPU.

I get what your saying. Gaming with a 460 can't be done I agree. I appreciate what your trying to warn me. how would 1 770 780 etc do for fps on a lets say bioshock infinite and some other games at 4k. How ever I still need advice about the refresh rate for the TCL and any information about the seiki pro line series coming out. or any other info about a different chinese 4k brand that does 60hz at 4k

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pq321q-4k-gaming,3620-5.html

looking for some single card fps right now. My guess I could do 30-40sih not that bad

Back