• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4k TV as monitor refresh rate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At 4K in Bioshock a single 780Ti barely touches 35FPS. About the same for a 290X.
That said, Bioshock is relatively easy to run compared to games like Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3.

Hence why I said 2x 780Ti or 2x 290X.

As you can see the single card used there is a Titan. The 780ti is a hair faster than that. On some titles, you will likely have to disable AA and maybe some IQ settings. Some can game at 30FPS others, cannot... depends on if you are a game snob and need those high FPS and highest IQ settings. I'm not a FPS snob, but I do prefer to crank the quality instead of stepping down. You really need 2x high end cards to run 4K well.

As far as refresh rate goes, I mentioned no go at 30Hz, and wait for 60Hz. I personally do not know much about the Seiki pro, perhaps a site more familiar with such things, like an A/V forum would get you the best answer if someone doesn't chime in soon with it.

probly need a psu upgrade have corsair 750hx to a 1000 psu

tempted to get gpu now but yea like we both agree i need a chinese 4k that does 60hz

http://www.tekrevue.com/seiki-4k-monitors/

only up 2 40" it seems :(

all three will feature the standard 4K UHD resolution of 3,840-by–2,160, 12-bit color processing, a wide array of ports (HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.3, MHL 3.0, DVI, and VGA),

Still looking for TCL 50" specs

http://www.tekrevue.com/seiki-4k-monitors/

only up 2 40" it seems :(

all three will feature the standard 4K UHD resolution of 3,840-by–2,160, 12-bit color processing, a wide array of ports (HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.3, MHL 3.0, DVI, and VGA),

Still looking for TCL 50" specs

trying to find multiple sources to verify the findings. I am seeing sources that say the TCL has hdmi 2.0 but nothing thast looks legit. TCL offical website says hdmi 2.0, but doesnt give you 4k refresh rate

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gtx 780 ti is a joke. doesn't support hdmi 2.0. The bottle neck in a 4k setup is still the GPU if using tv/monitor without display port

http://www.tclusa.com/news/

TCL’s UE5700 series includes 40” (40UE5700) and 49” (49UE5700) models that offer a perfect solution for gamers, photographers, designers, or people that get UHD content from an external device. These sets can display native 4K content or display HD content leveraging TCL’s proprietary upscaling technology to provide a premium viewing experience. By including HDMI 2.0 inputs, these sets will allow 60 frame-per-second content in full UHD resolution. The 40” will retail at $499, while the 49” will be available at $599.

So answering my own question. Seiki loses with TCL until the PRO line comes out even then TCL is better if you want a larger size. Best thing to do is wait until maxwell 800 gtxs and get a TCL tv with hdmi 2.0.

Does anyone know if 780 ti will get firmware upgrade to allow hdmi 2.0?

The Gtx 780 ti is a joke. doesn't support hdmi 2.0. The bottle neck in a 4k setup is still the GPU if using tv/monitor without display port

http://www.tclusa.com/news/

TCL’s UE5700 series includes 40” (40UE5700) and 49” (49UE5700) models that offer a perfect solution for gamers, photographers, designers, or people that get UHD content from an external device. These sets can display native 4K content or display HD content leveraging TCL’s proprietary upscaling technology to provide a premium viewing experience. By including HDMI 2.0 inputs, these sets will allow 60 frame-per-second content in full UHD resolution. The 40” will retail at $499, while the 49” will be available at $599.

So answering my own question. Seiki loses with TCL until the PRO line comes out even then TCL is better if you want a larger size. Best thing to do is wait until maxwell 800 gtxs and get a TCL tv with hdmi 2.0.

Does anyone know if 780 ti will get firmware upgrade to allow hdmi 2.0?

Curious if I could use a display port to hdmi 2.0 with this TCL tv and get a 780ti now. would I be able to get 60 hz refresh rate? Any ideas?

Merged the double posts... ;)

EDIT... make that triple posts. Please EDIT to add to your posts if they are back to back within minutes.

The bottle neck in a 4k setup is still the GPU if using tv/monitor without display port
A joke? I don't think AMD cards have HDMI2.0 support either... so be fair to both camps. ;)

The bottleneck in a 4k setup is ALWAYS going to be the GPU with current GPUs...

lol I am not saying they are not bad cards. But to get 4k @ 60 hz you need to use display port with a higher end 4k tv or hdmi 2.0 with a low end 4k tv. def the gpu tech needs to catch up. Do you know if the 780ti will be upgradable? or if a hdmi 2.0 and a display port with the 780 ti and 2014 TCL models would allow 60hz. I don't want to wait for Q4 for maxwell

No idea what it will take. My guess is they will NOT upgrade it with FW/Bios.

The new GPUs will be out late this year when QUALITY 4K monitors will be a more affordable. Also the GPUs may be able to drive them better than those out today...

I could just get 780ti now. and sell it when maxwell comes out.

Current RIG
current rig
RAM = 4gig C9 gskill
cpu = 965 BE
hfs = quiet and cool 8900
psu = corsair hx750
gpu = gtx 460
OS drive = 120 ssd kingston v300
storage drive = random 500 gig - 3 tb drives
mon = 19" samgsung

Need
ram = 8-16 gig
psu = 1000 - 1500 watts
cpu = current / will I need OC / HSF need to clock safely
gpu = ????
monitor = TCL 50" with hdmi 2.0

tempted to test my adapter theory. Any input for my PSU needs?

why would you need 1000watts, let alone 1500watts?

The 780ti can use at most about 250 watts.

also, why not look at screens that use display port? What's the reason to get hdmi2 instead?

Need...

8GB ram
Your current PSU is fine for a single 780 Ti or two 770's.
OCing that CPU will help stretch the legs of anything in SLI/CFx.

also, why not look at screens that use display port? What's the reason to get hdmi2 instead?
'cheap' 4k monitors my man... :(

Need...

8GB ram
Your current PSU is fine for a single 780 Ti or two 770's.
OCing that CPU will help stretch the legs of anything in SLI/CFx.

'cheap' 4k monitors my man... :(

:chair:

lol yep don't have 2-3 grand for a display port tv

PSU and UPS isn't my strong point. haven't done much research into them. I do know any thing less than 3000 joule protection is a waste

I really think waiting is the best thing for you to do... better monitors, perhaps cheaper better monitors, and new cards all by the turn of the calendar year...

I know its exciting to have new things, but the cheap new things aren't exactly the best to have...

I really think waiting is the best thing for you to do... better monitors, perhaps cheaper better monitors, and new cards all by the turn of the calendar year...

I know its exciting to have new things, but the cheap new things aren't exactly the best to have...

Waiting for the GPU is the best idea. But be a year for greater than 40" comes out with display port.

I mean i can get the TCL tv use it for 1080. get a gpu later this year. and use this "monitor" as a tv when I get another tv/monitor for my rig.

Because I also don't have a tv. only thing in my apt is this stupid 19" 768p monitor

Your money friend... not something I would do and I LOVE to be on the bleeding edge... just not the cheap end of bleeding edge. Been there in my youth...now, I have patience...ok, some patience... just a lot more money than when I was in my 20's, LOL! :)

Report back with what you decide. :)

Your money friend... not something I would do and I LOVE to be on the bleeding edge... just not the cheap end of bleeding edge. Been there in my youth...now, I have patience...ok, some patience... just a lot more money than when I was in my 20's, LOL! :)

Report back with what you decide. :)

Will do, got other things to budget like a freezer, car repairs, work out equipment. going to be droping a few grand next few months. all my money will go poof

Adding this to help ppl very very helpful comparison

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...review-is-up-supports-4k-resolution-30912294/

why would you need 1000watts, let alone 1500watts?

The 780ti can use at most about 250 watts.

nice location

If the 780Ti runs today's games at 30fps (unplayable for most games IMO), then it will run next year's games at 20fps or less. You're going to need dual GPUs for a 4k gaming setup no question about it.

Because they don't make monitors in the size he wants.

Sorry, TV-size. Are you using it in your living room? You mentioned you had a 19" monitor?

Why not put a 1080p TV in the living room (since they do not air any 4K content... literally...) and buy a 4k monitor for the computer? The pixels will look less stretched on a smaller screen anyway. Since (from what I read in my research on 4k monitors and games) Games have no native resolution, they (most new ones anyway) will adapt to whatever the native resolution of your monitor is. So 20 years in the future, when we have 15,360 x 8640 monitors, Crysis 3 will still adapt, even though by then it will be very old, and will still look fantastic.

Back