• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More help needed on vmod (again)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gunna start on this (finally) just a quickie though, when setting the resistance to max on the trimmers do you measure the end pins or is it front and middle or something else, also on my other cards I have modded I seem to have soldered to the last pin and middle pin on the trimmer, so in confused as to how the max resistance is transferred as I read max 100k resistance only between the first and last pin on the trimmer and the the middle one is like 60/40 first to last pin, so do I solder to the middle and last pin as I have previously done or first and last :shrug: I have done a few of these now and I'm still crap :facepalm:

The middle pin changes resistance to the two outers when you turn the screw. The outer pins are static with regards to each other.
To set the two soldered-on pins to maximum resistance, adjust the screw so that the middle pin and the end you did NOT solder on have zero resistance between them. That means that the middle pin and the soldered on end pin have maximum.

vGPU mod done, think I will try and see how it performs with just the vGPU mod, had a small disaster as the resistor I was soldering too came off when i was trying to solder to it :eek: and I was left with just the pads that the resistor was sitting on, so I just soldered to them and the card seems to work (it booted up anyway), lashings of glue helps to keep my crappy soldering in place too :attn:

F7A624A0-A976-4A9A-B68C-B62FE9BE6C30-45393-00000750F2998419_zps12e02685.jpg

Was it a resistor (black body) or a capacitor (tan/brown body)? I ask because if it was a resistor you may be in for some entertainment.

Check the volts right at POST too :D

Checked the volts and its ok 1.33v , I don't know what colour it was for sure but I think it was black, those things are tiny, I never even realised it had come off until I lifted my iron up and i thought I had pushed it down into the board but there it was stuck to the end if my iron :/ after some expletives and pondering I thought the trimmer should just bypass that resistor rendering it useless anyway (that was my noob theory) so I just cracked on and soldered to the left over pads and it works "for now" going to work now so can't check if the trimmer works or not, I only had time to see if the card was dead or not :(

That is, in fact, exactly what it's doing. Generally not the advised way to do a voltmod, but if it works it works.
Make sure the trimmer responds how you expect it to.

That's good to know, at least something must have sunk in the grey matter while learning how to do these mods \o/ yey

Back