• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7870 Windforce3 Voltage Mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Card 2 does go to 0.8v once it's been put under load once and left to settle down.

The stock voltage is 1.1 max. I can do 1.3 through software. But I'm wanting to run at probably 1.4-1.43 on air :)

Excellent, just been informed that my 50 Ohm trimpots have arrived.

So hopefully i dont ruin one of my cards tonight :)

hmm it does not seem to work. Before i started to turn the resistance down it worked fine.

But when turning the resistance down and run a bench, i get pixelation and then locks up.

From my multimeter i see no more than 1.2V.

I soldered to the top of the cap like this.

20120815180121.jpg

you wanna post of pictures of the actual location your going to for the trimmer. dont really need a picture of the trimmer just the end point for where the wires are going.

Yeah your not actually modding the card with that your just increasing the voltage to the monitor point which is counter productive and not really doing anything. You need to Look up the 7970 Mod guide i believe and find the solder location for the trimmer, which should be off one of the Phase controllers.

this way when you change the voltage on the line associated with the trimmer you will actually be telling the Phase controller to put out more voltage.

i am not sure if their resistor numbering is the same since the layout of the two cards are slightly different from each other. But I looks like hes connected of R681 and you have yours off of R684. I am guessing since i dont have the card in hand, that the other side of that location goes to the FB pin of the Phase controller, But its hard for me to say without actually having the card in hand.

Edit - change the target Resistor number from the romanian picture, it was 681 not 682

In the 7870 mod, that's the point. It should be vsense+ for the controller. With the resistance at full start a load and monitor the voltages. Slowly decrease the resistance a few turns, any change in voltage?

Bobnova advised me to solder to the Cap as it follows to the 681 resistor. I can confirm that when taking voltage reading from all those resistors before the mod, the only resistor that matched the voltage of the actual core was 681, and when measuring the cap it also gave the correct voltage for the core.

Now the odd thing.... i was never able to bench my card on a clock speed above 1260 core.... i have just done a 3DMarks11 at 1333 core and 1321 memory. Got a score of 7867... yet when reading the voltage on the multimeter its not going above 1.17v??

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4129685

Something is a little odd here....

1.17v during loading?

Yep, actaully just double checked and 1.16 under full load.

This is really odd as the stock card reads 1.19 under full load......

Am i reading voltage from the wrong point??

if i increase the resistance i can see the temp go down.... yet the voltage stays the same??

Back