• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good free or cheap recording software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

Looking to record minecraft and Project64 ROM videos, but not having much luck with programs. What are some good programs that are either free or a maximum of $40 that i can use for my recordings? If at all possible i'd prefer recommendations for programs that have built in editing tools that are semi decent but if such a thing isn't possible so be it. Also if a good editing prgram could be recommended as well i'd appreciate it. If it's any relevance to what programs i can run my PC specs are:

CPU: AMD A8-6500 APU 3.5GHz

RAM: 8GB (shared with the APU GPU obviously)

HDD: 1TB HDD

GPU: Radeon HD 8570D

Looking to record minecraft and Project64 ROM videos, but not having much luck with programs. What are some good programs that are either free or a maximum of $40 that i can use for my recordings? If at all possible i'd prefer recommendations for programs that have built in editing tools that are semi decent but if such a thing isn't possible so be it. Also if a good editing prgram could be recommended as well i'd appreciate it. If it's any relevance to what programs i can run my PC specs are:

CPU: AMD A8-6500 APU 3.5GHz

RAM: 8GB (shared with the APU GPU obviously)

HDD: 1TB HDD

GPU: Radeon HD 8570D

My brother recently started doing this. At first he was using Debut video capture, but later found than bandi cam works much better and smoother.

A note too, recording is CPU intensive. especially when gaming, as the software must fight the game for CPU resources.

okay so i stumbled upon MSI afterburner's secret video capture feature. just did a 15 second test run and the video quality seems pretty good. i think i'm gonna stick with this for my recording. anyone got any suggestions for video editing? since i'm using a free recorder that $40 now transforms into a video editing budget. free programs are still welcome though

Okay thanks!

I honestly didn't know MSI AB had that feature :shock:

EDIT: My bro uses movie maker, does the job. You can also try Videopad

Yes, videopad works with Win8 according to the site.

Movie maker should be part of "Live Essentials" if it isn't already installed.

movie maker isn't opening giving me an error code 0x80004005. when i try to download windows essentials form the website it says to restart my pc and try again. i've had this problem multiple time before never been able to fix it, any other programs?

movie maker isn't opening giving me an error code 0x80004005. when i try to download windows essentials form the website it says to restart my pc and try again. i've had this problem multiple time before never been able to fix it, any other programs?

Did you give videopad a whirl?
The free version won't be available for download after August according to the site, so I downloaded it just incase. it's free, so it's worth a shot.

ah, i missed your edit about videopad. i'll download it now, thanks

okay so MSI AB was a bust, major time cap on the videos. any other video ideas besides movie maker?

Back