• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard, advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JethroJay

Hey peeps, was just asking of a good motherboard AM3, I got a junk ASRock at the minute *yawn* and looking for something with 4 DDR3 ram dimms, NO on board graphics (always hated them) and just look good as it's gonna be in a case with a side window in....

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z There are other boards, but this one is the best Asus board out there IMO.

Looks pretty nice too.

If you are going to overclock it then I would stick to the highest series like mentioned Crosshair V. There are various issues with cheaper AM3 boards mainly with overheating power section or design flaws ( problems with stable voltages etc ).
Tbh. it looks like manufacturers work better on Intel boards and if you didn't decide on a platform then I would suggest to stick to Intel ( various reasons ).

If you are going to overclock it then I would stick to the highest series like mentioned Crosshair V. There are various issues with cheaper AM3 boards mainly with overheating power section or design flaws ( problems with stable voltages etc ).
Tbh. it looks like manufacturers work better on Intel boards and if you didn't decide on a platform then I would suggest to stick to Intel ( various reasons ).

Already got my CPU (just it's BURNING UP) so.... plus I want a better mobo anyway :)

J_J. You did not say anything about what mobo you are replacing nor what cpu and what cooling you have now. Yet you say you have a heat problem with the current motherboard.

As mentioned the CHV-z board is good. Awesome for FX 8 core processors and lesser ones even. But it is no overall insurance against running hot. Not sure what hot you are referring to from you first post. Overall for a lesser price the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 will show itself to be tough to beat on normal water cooling and such. LN2, DICE and LHE might do somewhat better with the CHV-z but in general such is not needed.

ALL of us that you read about in here that push the PEE out of FX 8 core processors do have air on the VRMs and even on the rear of the cpu socket. I know I do. Think "johan45" and "mandrake4565" as well. And we have put up pictures for others to get into that program more times than I can count. So just swapping boards is not full assurance that you will not have some odd heat issue still. Just trying to fully clear since your first post in this thread is not fully clear to me and could be setting one up for some disappointment.
RGone...

That we do even on my open bench I have 2 90s on top and a 140 in behind.

J_J. You did not say anything about what mobo you are replacing nor what cpu and what cooling you have now. Yet you say you have a heat problem with the current motherboard.

As mentioned the CHV-z board is good. Awesome for FX 8 core processors and lesser ones even. But it is no overall insurance against running hot. Not sure what hot you are referring to from you first post. Overall for a lesser price the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 will show itself to be tough to beat on normal water cooling and such. LN2, DICE and LHE might do somewhat better with the CHV-z but in general such is not needed.

ALL of us that you read about in here that push the PEE out of FX 8 core processors do have air on the VRMs and even on the rear of the cpu socket. I know I do. Think "johan45" and "mandrake4565" as well. And we have put up pictures for others to get into that program more times than I can count. So just swapping boards is not full assurance that you will not have some odd heat issue still. Just trying to fully clear since your first post in this thread is not fully clear to me and could be setting one up for some disappointment.
RGone...

already mentioned in his other thread, cooling first. Must be addressed. You didn't see his 80c plus temps on his Phenom II? I was like whoa bro!

:facepalm:

if your going cross hair and clocking it the ch5-f is just a hair better with the cpu than the ch5-f-z.
the ch5-f-z is just a hair better than the ch5-f with the memory.

JethroJay, before you do anything you should figure out why your temps are so high in your other post.

yea, if your cooking the system there is no reason to get more stuff to fry( unless your benching).

already mentioned in his other thread, cooling first. Must be addressed. You didn't see his 80c plus temps on his Phenom II? I was like whoa bro!

:facepalm:

Yes I actually had followed that other thread but it can be a pain when a new thread comes into being and full information is not at hand. No telling who was over here in the mobo section that never followed the previous thread in cpu section.

I even try to use the phrases at least once in a thread or post so that I can go back using search and find previous information.

I use search so much that I just cannot believe it not to be the best tool for getting answers and more so about boards that we never ever will see. Just me I suppose.
RGone...ster. :screwy:

Yes I actually had followed that other thread but it can be a pain when a new thread comes into being and full information is not at hand. No telling who was over here in the mobo section that never followed the previous thread in cpu section.

I even try to use the phrases at least once in a thread or post so that I can go back using search and find previous information.

I use search so much that I just cannot believe it not to be the best tool for getting answers and more so about boards that we never ever will see. Just me I suppose.
RGone...ster. :screwy:

Not everything in NY is always what it seems.... :thup:

Back