• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are MSI boards to be avoided?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
6+2 8+2 does it really matter for the new quads that barely consume any power compared to older gens? As for mil spec.. Bah.

MSI 880GMA-E45 (AM3) Mobo bought on sale at Newegg. At the time of purchase they rated it for processors up to 125W TDP. Some time later they derated it to 95W TDP. :mad:

That eliminated any thoughts of upgrading the processor at a later date. IMO that's bordering on bait and switch (though TBH I did not contact them to see if there was anything they would do to make good on the 125W TDP promise.)

I overclocked it and it was stable, but after several months, the sound went out. It still worked at standard clocks so I reduced the OC until it came back. Eventually the sound went out at standard clock speed. I have no idea if that was a result of overclocking or just crappy H/W.

Just a sample of one, but I'll not buy one of their products again.

If you buy MSI board then better get their high end model. Many their cheaper boards have various problems and what's worse, there are no rules or repetable issues.
Like when you get cheaper ASRock board then most common problem is dead BIOS which is still quite rare. When you get ASUS then usually are various problems with BIOS as their support didn't care to fix it. When you get Gigabyte then most common seem BIOS ( Dual BIOS related ) or power section problems. When you get MSI then it can be everything and usually it's or dead component, or Dr MOS problems or something related to low quality design like broken traces between memory slots.

If you buy MSI board then better get their high end model. Many their cheaper boards have various problems and what's worse, there are no rules or repetable issues.
Like when you get cheaper ASRock board then most common problem is dead BIOS which is still quite rare. When you get ASUS then usually are various problems with BIOS as their support didn't care to fix it. When you get Gigabyte then most common seem BIOS ( Dual BIOS related ) or power section problems. When you get MSI then it can be everything and usually it's or dead component, or Dr MOS problems or something related to low quality design like broken traces between memory slots.

In AMD land even "high end" MSI boards have big issues.

For Intel, I agree with your statement.

Back