• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 990fx Fatal1ty Killer on going review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Excellent thread! I signed up to ask some questions.

I am getting a much higher socket temp than you are. I am getting to almost 80C with a core temp of only 47C

CPU Freq: 214
Multi: 21.5
HT Bus: 2568
NB: 2354

CPU volt: 1.4
DRAM volt: 1.525 <- I have 1.5v RAM
CPU/NB volt: 1.375
NB and HT volt 1.22

Cooling with a Corsair H100i

Once my socket temps reach 78C my Volts and temps drop slightly then back up and cycle back and forth like this. This is with all energy saving turned off with the exception of Thermal throttling. I thought thermal throttling was for CPU core temp not socket but I could be wrong and might have answered my own Question. I am a little hesitant to turn it off with a socket temp that high.

Love the board!

Edit: I also read HT bus speed should be 2600 and NB 2400? I think it was posted other way earlier. This board defaults to 2000 MHz on both. Took awhile to figure that out. And no LLC!! I was wondering what everyone was talking about.

Don't see what cpu you are running so not much can be said going on a cpu assumption only.
RGone...ster.

Sorry, its an FX 8320. I started with a 6300 where I wasn't getting as high a socket temp, which kinda makes sense on a 95 watt CPU even with volts > 1.4

I have since changed things up to lower voltage:

Multiplier is at 20 and the CPU Freq is at 235. I have a higher OC now @4.7 with lower volts @ 1.3875 and temps take longer to get up but eventually under Prime95 I start to get throttled.

I also set the CPU Voltage Offset to +100mV from 50mV letting me lower the volts, but not really lol.

And since no LLC they added CPU VDDA Voltage which I haven't messed with

Sorry, its an FX 8320. I started with a 6300 where I wasn't getting as high a socket temp, which kinda makes sense on a 95 watt CPU even with volts > 1.4

I have since changed things up to lower voltage:

Multiplier is at 20 and the CPU Freq is at 235. I have a higher OC now @4.7 with lower volts @ 1.3875 and temps take longer to get up but eventually under Prime95 I start to get throttled.

I also set the CPU Voltage Offset to +100mV from 50mV letting me lower the volts, but not really lol.

And since no LLC they added CPU VDDA Voltage which I haven't messed with

CPU VDDA isn't the same thing, what kind of parts so you have? If you're looking for some help it would be beneficial to you to start a new thread and put up a sig.

Excellent thread! I signed up to ask some questions.

I am getting a much higher socket temp than you are. I am getting to almost 80C with a core temp of only 47C

CPU Freq: 214
Multi: 21.5
HT Bus: 2568
NB: 2354

CPU volt: 1.4
DRAM volt: 1.525 <- I have 1.5v RAM
CPU/NB volt: 1.375
NB and HT volt 1.22

Cooling with a Corsair H100i

Once my socket temps reach 78C my Volts and temps drop slightly then back up and cycle back and forth like this. This is with all energy saving turned off with the exception of Thermal throttling. I thought thermal throttling was for CPU core temp not socket but I could be wrong and might have answered my own Question. I am a little hesitant to turn it off with a socket temp that high.

Love the board!

Edit: I also read HT bus speed should be 2600 and NB 2400? I think it was posted other way earlier. This board defaults to 2000 MHz on both. Took awhile to figure that out. And no LLC!! I was wondering what everyone was talking about.

Hey boss, I honestly believe I just have a GREAT 8320. I haven't seen too many 8320's at the 5.0ghz mark, and certainly not at 1.45 volts either.

Even at 5.0ghz, I haven't seen temps above 72c, and thats with p95 testing as well. At 4.51ghz Im never over 60c.

Im using air cooling as well, so that just leads me to believe Im simply winning the "chip lottery" so to speak.

For your concerns, if your socket is getting that hot, then perhaps make sure you have proper air circulation in your case. Since you are using h100, you will not have high cpu temps, but that does nothing to help the rest of the board. Ensure your airflow through the case is properly done. I added a top fan to my lian li case, and it literally dropped my temps 5c+ across the board. Think about doing the same if you dont have a top vent or fan.

Hey boss, I honestly believe I just have a GREAT 8320. I haven't seen too many 8320's at the 5.0ghz mark, and certainly not at 1.45 volts either.

Even at 5.0ghz, I haven't seen temps above 72c, and thats with p95 testing as well. At 4.51ghz Im never over 60c.

Im using air cooling as well, so that just leads me to believe Im simply winning the "chip lottery" so to speak.

For your concerns, if your socket is getting that hot, then perhaps make sure you have proper air circulation in your case. Since you are using h100, you will not have high cpu temps, but that does nothing to help the rest of the board. Ensure your airflow through the case is properly done. I added a top fan to my lian li case, and it literally dropped my temps 5c+ across the board. Think about doing the same if you dont have a top vent or fan.

You did win the chip lottery! I can't do much more with case ventilation, its a Fractal R4 and I currently have 4 140mm intakes and three 120mm exhuast. I have two more 140mm fans coming but don't think it will make that much of a difference.

CPU VDDA isn't the same thing, what kind of parts so you have? If you're looking for some help it would be beneficial to you to start a new thread and put up a sig.

I didn't say they were the same thing but that it was added in light of the other being removed...

And I just wanted to BS a bit in a thread with someone who had the AsRock 990FX Killer mobo and 8320 part combo like Mr. Bob who also was interested in overclocking.

Hopefully I didn't tarnish this great thread so please delete any comments off topic or that do so.

You did win the chip lottery! I can't do much more with case ventilation, its a Fractal R4 and I currently have 4 140mm intakes and three 120mm exhuast. I have two more 140mm fans coming but don't think it will make that much of a difference.

I didn't say they were the same thing but that it was added in light of the other being removed...

And I just wanted to BS a bit in a thread with someone who had the AsRock 990FX Killer mobo and 8320 part combo like Mr. Bob who also was interested in overclocking.

Hopefully I didn't tarnish this great thread so please delete any comments off topic or that do so.

Dont stress it, he didnt mean any hostility, just correcting an appeared mistake is all.

That said, having a good case with a bunch of fans is a good start, but it doesnt always mean you get proper airflow. That said, that's not likely the case obviously. I would suggest removing all throttling functions and set up your bios for a proper over clock, and monitoring everything properly.

If it matters, I have a 5000rpm fan blowing directly on my heatsinks thats probably helping things. I do agree though, if this board had LLC, I'd probably run my 4.5 @ 1.35 volts. I just fail tests too fast with that though. With no offset, Im usually running around 1.36 volts anyway.

No worries, Doner. I wasn't sure where you were cming from. If you were looking for help with an OC, you'll get more help with a new thread of your own rather than tagging on to an older one. Older threads don't tend to get as much attention.
But if you're just hanging out that's fine, don't let me chase you off. That wasn't my itent.

Thanks both of you! My passive aggression gets the best of me sometimes and I apologize.

Before I start a new thread I think I'm going to wait for my new fans to get here and switch some from exhaust to intake and vice-verse and see what happens. If I don't get some better results I'll start a proper thread. I'll probably start one regardless with my results if they're that good but I doubt it.

Really I think I should just be happy with my OC. Prime95 is such an A-typical load I need to look at it as the outlier. I don't loose cores just get some throttling after 5 minutes of 100% load.

I love the board but since I am more interested in Overclocking than gaming I may look at an OC specific board. I should have known that from the beginning but loved the value of this board.

Just at a guess, it sounds like you may need some additional cooling on your VRM and behind the CPU socket.

Just at a guess, it sounds like you may need some additional cooling on your VRM and behind the CPU socket.

I agree which is what I'm going to try and accomplish by switching the exhaust fan in the rear to an intake because its closest to that VRM. The door fan will go from intake to exhaust to immediately remove GFX card heat instead of it traveling up to exhaust H100i and rear.

I am trying to keep positive pressure to avoid dust with all intake fans behind a screen.

And I got a signature up, not so colorful though ;(

I tried reversing that fan even put a directional dryer vent on it to point right down on the VRM but it didn't really help a whole lot. They really need more direct cooling. What helped me the most was this

Capturefan.PNG

I used double sided tape and stuck it onto my cooler bracket.

I tried reversing that fan even put a directional dryer vent on it to point right down on the VRM but it didn't really help a whole lot. They really need more direct cooling. What helped me the most was this

View attachment 140396

I used double sided tape and stuck it onto my cooler bracket.

Dang it! I was afraid of that.

But yeah I want to do that little fan in the back now :clap:

Mines an AMD though without that bracket I don't think. But I think I can rig something up. What size fan is that? You don't have a vent on the door there right? Just uses the air in the cable management area?

Thanks

Well the new 140mm fans are in and I no longer get throttled after a Prime95 run.

I hit 69.7C on socket temp with only 41C Core temp. Thats too much of a difference imo but better than before. I wish I could OC more but for now I will have to be happy.

I ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352002 to blow on the Northbridge heatsink or socket. When installing the 140mm fans I touched the Northbridge heatsink and it was smoking hot. It sits right above the GFX card so I'm sure its starved of air. I think I can twist tie the fan to the GFX card back plate to blow right on it. We shall see.

Once the new fan gets get I will post a new thread with some other questions about my future and upgrade path. After looking at the custom loops I definitely want to go that route but with a socket temp holding me back there isn't really a reason at this point.

I've done a ton of reading in the past week and love the site! There's some nice work here.

Hey guys, been a while. Busy things lol

Anyway, mobo is still going really strong. No hiccups or anything that I can tell. Run it from 4.5-4.7 as a daily runner, temps still pretty low here.

Hey guys, been a while. Busy things lol

Anyway, mobo is still going really strong. No hiccups or anything that I can tell. Run it from 4.5-4.7 as a daily runner, temps still pretty low here.

Same old same old. :attn:

Same old same old. :attn:

You know "bob" that is a pretty good report. After all that is what a good board does in that it has a good report after months of overclocked use. Some of the boards in that price range when pushed over 4.3Ghz have died (that we know about) after a few months.

I think it was CPU_LLC that was missing as "user adjustable" from the bios and yet that VRM circuit did n0t have a bunch of Vdroop under load. That means it had from the get go a pretty substantial and well engineered VRM circuit which is awesome really. One less item to have to deal with.

Again thank you for the update about the mobo. Always nice to have a longterm outcome for reference. I think the board was bought at around $135.00 Usd and to get the results you have in day in and day out use with CM-212 cooler is commendable for sure. Again thanks for the update.
RGone...ster.

So, after a good while of running strong... my girl died on me today... my psu went bad, and I'm pretty sure that had more to do with it than anything with the board itself. Moved all the components to my intel setup, works fine, so I'm limited to damage to the cpu and or motherboard. I'm positive the motherboard is toast, but unsure of the cpu.

Guess it's time to get a stronger board.

Back