• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9590 Freeze/Unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I seriously doubt that "RJARRRPCGP" is going to say how a shop diagnosed his buddies cpu as defective. He is just a third party actually. Not so sure he should have even mentioned the 9590s might have issue though without more background. 2 known cpus do not indicate any sort of trend.

Welp, you're real right, history shows that a processor just going bad is unlikely.
Definitely less likely than a motherboard.

9370 Question

So I recently bought a 9370 and re built my entire system from the ground up and I have a voltage/temp/stability question.

My Full Systems Spec is the following
Sabertooth FX990 R 2.0
Amd 9370
Corsair H105 Push/Pull with Noctua NF-F12's in a HAF X case
16Gb G Skill Ram 1600
Samsung 250 840 Evo

So my question is... when I first got the 9370 I was trying to run it on a Noctua NH-D14 which it worked but I think the amount of heat in the Case it was in was causing to much ambient temp and it was hurting any chance of the CPU at its max potential and generally wasn't to aesthetically pleasing and it just was to bulky..... anyway fast forward to today... On the Stock Voltage the CPU was just going crazy on the temps so I decided to under volt the Vcore and was able I think to get a stable Freq of 4.5 @ 1.31 volts.

On P95 The Core hits right at 61c running it for over 1 hr with no issues. I am wondering if anyone else is able to get to this or if I am missing something or just getting a ambiguous result.

So I recently bought a 9370 and re built my entire system from the ground up and I have a voltage/temp/stability question.

My Full Systems Spec is the following
Sabertooth FX990 R 2.0
Amd 9370
Corsair H105 Push/Pull with Noctua NF-F12's in a HAF X case
16Gb G Skill Ram 1600
Samsung 250 840 Evo

So my question is... when I first got the 9370 I was trying to run it on a Noctua NH-D14 which it worked but I think the amount of heat in the Case it was in was causing to much ambient temp and it was hurting any chance of the CPU at its max potential and generally wasn't to aesthetically pleasing and it just was to bulky..... anyway fast forward to today... On the Stock Voltage the CPU was just going crazy on the temps so I decided to under volt the Vcore and was able I think to get a stable Freq of 4.5 @ 1.31 volts.

On P95 The Core hits right at 61c running it for over 1 hr with no issues. I am wondering if anyone else is able to get to this or if I am missing something or just getting a ambiguous result.

How is your radiator mounted and where and venting outside of the case or taking air in? and what GPU do you have and is it venting inside the case? What is the ambient temp of the room?
I would expect H105 to do better with noctua fans especially if it is push/pull config.

The H105 is top mounted inside the case pushing air through the top of the case..... I also have two 200mm fans mounted in the case HAF X Case exhausting the air from the Push/Pull out of the case. I have Dual 7870 GPU's in Crossfire... Ambient temp is around 22C (71 Degree's)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 1,415
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 1,413
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 1,421
Last edited:
Here is how to attach screen shots using the inforum tool. This way we don't have to click an outside link.
how to attach photos.PNG

sorry thank you it is fixed
No problem, reason why I suggested it is because 1, some people cannot click on outside links and 2. in the future someone may click on this thread having the same issues as you. If you no longer have the pictures hosted at the outsite link and are dead, then they are useless to the thread. Having them hosted on this forum allows them to always be there to help someone :thup: :D

Now back to the issue, may I suggest you making your own thread in the AMD cpu section. That way we don't take this thread off-coarse. You should do is this in the new one, Download Cpu-Z, Hwmonitor "non pro" and Prime 95. Open Hwmonitor and run prime 95 blend 20 minutes, then post screen shots of Hwmonitor, making sure we can see the whole thing. This allows us to see the temps and voltages under load. Additionally, post the following tabs in Cpu-Z: Cpu, Spd and Memory. This will all give us a peek under the hood so to speak.

Like this is very clear to us and others that follow...

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

I was told that the motherboard was changed and still freezing.

I haven't heard back any more about this. Stay tuned.....

He now has an FX 8350 and a Crosshair V Formula-Z.

The other system was declared bad and my buddy got scolded (Because of having to get a replacement) for it like he was OC'ing.....

like he was OC'ing.....

He was overclocking; just with a from the factory cpu. You add either 400Mhz for the 9370 or 700Mhz for the 9590 over the stock speed of the FX-8350 and I will assure you the system better be inline with what we have to use when pushing the FX-8350 right on up and past the default and turbocore speeds of the two big 9xxx'ers. It is not a piece of cake and has cost most of us extra monies getting it right for the long-haul. Buzzing over 5.0Ghz for benching and maintaining 4.8Ghz 2 hours P95 Blend stable W/air is a load with all 8 cores on and kicking.
RGone...:chair:

He was overclocking; just with a from the factory cpu. You add either 400Mhz for the 9370 or 700Mhz for the 9590 over the stock speed of the FX-8350 and I will assure you the system better be inline with what we have to use when pushing the FX-8350 right on up and past the default and turbocore speeds of the two big 9xxx'ers. It is not a piece of cake and has cost most of us extra monies getting it right for the long-haul. Buzzing over 5.0Ghz for benching and maintaining 4.8Ghz 2 hours P95 Blend stable W/air is a load with all 8 cores on and kicking.
RGone...:chair:

OC=I mean manual clocking past factory. Beyond defaults. (And with poor cooling!)

His current FX is idling at 45 C, possibly a stuck sensor like with Wolfdales?

His current FX is idling at 45 C, possibly a stuck sensor like with Wolfdales?
I've yet to see an accurate temp sensor at idle on an Fx, load temps are much more important. Mine idles at 8c in a 22c room on ambient cooling :screwy:

I've yet to see an accurate temp sensor at idle on an Fx, load temps are much more important. Mine idles at 8c in a 22c room on ambient cooling :screwy:

U can say that at least 2 more times "manny". Now at least 18/19 months ago there were emails from AMD to users and posts in forums and gawd almighty enough pablum to feed the world about FX temps.

One thing came out that I remember 'well'. AMD and not even Intel give two hoots about HVAC work. They are not worried at all about temps not pointing at the point of cpu for safety sake. AMD said that the FX processors were not anywhere near accurate until approx 45c under load. Anything else was just whatever and not a real temp.

Now how many times I have typed what I am going to now is not known but it is more than one time. I don't ever consider idle temps of my FX processor UNLESS I have 50c or so on the core. Then I know something is wrong with my fit of cpu to heatsink or the fan is not turning or something. 45c at idle is getting pretty close to what "might" be a real temp and if so that temp is too high and tells "me" that there will be issues when trying to clock up the cpu.

Some of this stuff is n0t etched in stone. Some of it comes from working with 1000's of users in here and watching their 4 captures of HWMonitor under load of P95 Blend and the 3 captures of CPUz.
RGone...ster.

IIRC, my buddy just got an FX 9590 on his Crosshair V Formula-Z. ;)

But he's now complaining of high temps and I suggested a Noctua NH-U14S.

Then for liquid cooling, I suggested an Enermax Liqtech 240.

High end AIO water or full custom loop is the way to go, Air need not apply with a 9590!

IIRC, my buddy just got an FX 9590 on his Crosshair V Formula-Z. ;)

But he's now complaining of high temps and I suggested a Noctua NH-U14S.

Then for liquid cooling, I suggested an Enermax Liqtech 240.

Heya,

I'm sorry to dig up this corpse. I'm just interested in the solutions you all found for yourselves. Especially with your friend's solution, RJARRRPCGP, as his problems seem very similar to mine.
Also, I'd be happy if you could tell me if your symptoms are the same as mine.

I also have troubles with the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and the FX-9590 crashing all the time. I also got BSODs stating problems with my memory (I don't recall the exact BSOD codes as I've reinstalled my system by now).
My observations were those:
- as soon as I activated the performance mode in BIOS, the system would freeze soon after login (and sometimes during login or while typing my password)
- often freezes while ingame on normal BIOS settings
- occasional BSODs (I think it was MEMORY_POOL_*something* and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with dxgmms1.sys as source)
(I know those BSODs call for RAM issues but I don't think it's actually my RAM - I've swapped out my RAM ans mixed different sticks of my 4x8GB kit and also tried different banks. Also, with my old Phenom II X6 1090T the system runs fine)

I've already RMA'd both the cpu and the motherboard but still have the same issues.
According to speedfan, the core temp was always around 53°C - 58°C when my PC froze.

So, RJARRRPCGP, did your friend succeed in getting his system stable with the fx-9590 and the crosshair mb? which cooler does he use now?

Heya,

I'm sorry to dig up this corpse. I'm just interested in the solutions you all found for yourselves. Especially with your friend's solution, RJARRRPCGP, as his problems seem very similar to mine.
Also, I'd be happy if you could tell me if your symptoms are the same as mine.

I also have troubles with the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and the FX-9590 crashing all the time. I also got BSODs stating problems with my memory (I don't recall the exact BSOD codes as I've reinstalled my system by now).
My observations were those:
- as soon as I activated the performance mode in BIOS, the system would freeze soon after login (and sometimes during login or while typing my password)
- often freezes while ingame on normal BIOS settings
- occasional BSODs (I think it was MEMORY_POOL_*something* and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with dxgmms1.sys as source)
(I know those BSODs call for RAM issues but I don't think it's actually my RAM - I've swapped out my RAM ans mixed different sticks of my 4x8GB kit and also tried different banks. Also, with my old Phenom II X6 1090T the system runs fine)

I've already RMA'd both the cpu and the motherboard but still have the same issues.
According to speedfan, the core temp was always around 53°C - 58°C when my PC froze.

So, RJARRRPCGP, did your friend succeed in getting his system stable with the fx-9590 and the crosshair mb? which cooler does he use now?

Try manually setting CPU NB voltage to 1.35. What exact memory kit do you have?

Back