• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS N53SV - can't switch from onboard intel video to dedicated GeForce GT540M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

The title pretty much sums it up. I have found no option on windows 7 64bit and no option on the BIOS to decide wich graphics adapter to use. When i installed the OS, nvidia drivers would not install if i didn't install intel drivers for the onboard GPU first, wich i thought was weird. I don't think it's important, but just in case, i am using this laptop as my desktop, with the lid closed and an external monitor connected to the VGA out on the lappy.

Any ideas?

PS: i did a few searches about this topic before posting, but i am not sure what terms to search for, nor what forums. Apologies if this has been answered before.

this is exactly what i want to know....if i bought a lappy with both gma and dedicated gpu.
got to be some option somewhere - so it won't install the nvidia drivers at all?
if the nvidia drivers are installed, there is an option of which gpu to use for normal desktop use, then one for power use - in the nvidia control panel

or have a look in the intel GMA setting in windows control panel

bios setting - there is 1 so u can choose between the 2

Did you have to udpate the BIOS to do that? i have no setting in mine to choose this. I was told by ASUS customer support that there was a setting there too, but there just isn't . . . when i asked them if i should flash my BIOS they didn't reply back. Probably CS doesn't wanna get their hands dirty with a bad flash.

Currently, the best solution i have is, i can choose which graphics adapter to use for specific programs, like games and stuff, but i can't decide which one Windows boots on.

As I understand the dual graphics cards, some models have a bios toggle and others dont. In the case that the bios does not, it is all driven by software. The graphics are first routed through the nvidia card (no matter if you have a bios toggle or not) and then pass to the intel card whose job it is to display the graphics. This is why you are required to have the intel drivers installed first.

source

Back