• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long will my CPU last?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yeh_boi

Registered
If i was to tun my cpu with 1.6v @ 3.5ghz and probably hitting 80c or more degrees on load over the recommend safe point, How long would it last?

It is a e4400 btw.

If i was to tun my cpu with 1.6v @ 3.5ghz and probably hitting 80c or more degrees on load over the recommend safe point, How long would it last?

It is a e4400 btw.

Never let your CPU go above 60c, 50-60c is considered very high. Voltage can shortern your CPU life but nowhere near the point that those temptures will. return to another stable overclock setting or stock intill you buy some better cooling.

It is a e4400 btw.

Under those conditions, I'm guessing maybe two years.

You might as well try and predict how long you will live. Look, your CPU can die tomorrow or it can work the next hundred years and end up in a museum. Nobody knows, so no one can tell you. Just enjoy it while you have it. :beer:

R7

u should look for Intel CPU finder on the web..it shows the TJmax, limited temp and so on..i think quad should never hit 71. and 1.6 is wayy to high.. yea if u r using stock cooler, get a 50 dollars after-market cooler.

i ran my q6600 between 1.4875-1.6 24/7 (except for maintenance) for 2.5 years with no signs of wear or tear :)

Never let your CPU go above 60c, 50-60c is considered very high. Voltage can shortern your CPU life but nowhere near the point that those temptures will. return to another stable overclock setting or stock intill you buy some better cooling.

Intels run a lot hotter than AMDs, they mind 80 degrees about as much as an AMD minds 60 degrees. I'd try to get it under 75, but no biggie... I've never had a chip die from overclocking... and I've only heard of a handful dying, and in any case like that it's hard to tell if it was just manufacturing problems or abuse.

I've yet to find a real study that shows the impact of voltage and temperature on a CPU. While there are oft' quoted guidelines (such as that every 10C increase halves the CPU's lifespan), I've yet to see anything remotely substantiate these rules of thumb.

You will want to mind the Tmax (which looks to be 61.4C according to this site), but the chip will probably survive 80C for a while. I'm not sure how the additional 0.1V will play in, but needless to say it's going to do nothing good ;)

Being very pessimistic, I'd give the chip a 6 month lifespan. Intel warrants their CPUs for 3 years, so I figure a chip should last that long at Tmax. Using the 10C rule of thumb, this brings you down to 9 months. Shave a few more off for the voltage bump, and I thus pluck 6 months out of the air :D

Of course, this is entirely a guess. Who's to know if the rule of thumb is accurate? What says the 3 year lifespan is accurate in the first place (even my youngest chip is probably 5 years old and working great)? What if voltage has a larger effect that I guesstimated?

You might as well try and predict how long you will live. Look, your CPU can die tomorrow or it can work the next hundred years and end up in a museum. Nobody knows, so no one can tell you. Just enjoy it while you have it. :beer:

R7
Amen. :)

JigPu

I'd agree with ChillPhatCat:

Intel tends to take much more heat abuse than AMD.
About 70C should do you fine. Under load.

And i've never killed a CPU by overvolting, so i'm not even sure it can be done (from BIOS).
I've tried many a times, but no go. I just get a restart/BSOD.
Current favorite: Barton 2500+ 1.833Ghz @ 2.7Ghz with air, 1.65v stock ->2.5v.

I build computers from recycled parts, so i have plenty of material to play with :)

Back