• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial Keys for PS3 games: The price we might pay for Sony's stupidity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is just an attempt to maximise profit margins, that is all.

Not as much maximize profit as to retain control over the platform... Since piracy is very low on the PS3. If they lose control over the OS and platform. They will get hammered from lost sales.

I simply refuse to insert a key to play a game on the PS3. As a PS3 owner. This will be actual lost sales for Sony and the developers.

It is just as easy for me to move back over to my PC for gaming. Which I do game on it. It is just more comfortable for me to sit or lay on the davenport getting the comforts of it, versus my computer setup.

Not as much maximize profit as to retain control over the platform... Since piracy is very low on the PS3. If they lose control over the OS and platform. They will get hammered from lost sales.

I simply refuse to insert a key to play a game on the PS3. As a PS3 owner. This will be actual lost sales for Sony and the developers.

It is just as easy for me to move back over to my PC for gaming. Which I do game on it. It is just more comfortable for me to sit or lay on the davenport getting the comforts of it, versus my computer setup.

The idea is absurd of course, but we're already seeing it happen, a prime example being the VIP codes for BC2 to sour the deal for used game buyers.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is supported by developers as Sony will trump this measure as a way to increase new game sales, which in theory will mean more money for all involved (except the retailers of course).

Its only the same thing EA have been doing for a while now. Medal of Honour and FIFA 11 both had single use key codes to play online, and cost 800 ms points for a second code.

What is this blasphemy? Consoles never had piracy and never will. Hurrrrr.

Now let's contradict all the BS about "we don't sell games on PC because of piracy" by making console games use the same protection as PC games. Durrrr.

The one thing to add, Sony cares about its customers. They include you and I, as well as the companies making games for there console. The Xbox bans are console bans. The attempt to stop the theft only prevents online usage. M$ uses this in a matter they know people will go out and buy a new console. This new console provides profit for M$ The game developers still recieve no compensation, as the banned consoles can still be used to access SP games.

The one thing to add, Sony cares about its customers. They include you and I, as well as the companies making games for there console. The Xbox bans are console bans. The attempt to stop the theft only prevents online usage. M$ uses this in a matter they know people will go out and buy a new console. This new console provides profit for M$ The game developers still recieve no compensation, as the banned consoles can still be used to access SP games.

No, they really, really don't.

The one thing to add, Sony cares about its customers.
Haha-hahaha.
Sony cares about their customers as much as Apple/Microsoft does - not at all.
Actually, maybe Sony hates their customers... BluRay is the worst format in the history of digital media and they've put malware on people's computers.

Last edited:
The one thing to add, Sony cares about its customers.

We are customers until we give them our money. Then we are warranty holders after the purchase.

They do not care about anyone after they have our money. They only care about not becoming afoul of the post-sale laws, while trying to increase sales..

I know it comes across as negative, but it is how most mega-corps work. They have a legal responsibility to increase profit for the share holders. Which is who they care about, not the "customer."

The old adage about television.. Pretty much applies to any media. We are the product, not the customer. The investors are the customer.

Last edited:
Probably as likely as software developers being trusted to not make crappy/overpriced software and games.

Piracy is actually mildly good for industries. I mean as much as RIAA hates to admit it. Last year was the best year for digital music $$$ wise. Now they state that overall sales of music is down aka. CD sales (why wouldn't they be) But the RIAA/MPAA Like to fudge the wording to make it sound like they are losing money but in reality they are making more money out of the "other sections of the spread sheet". And Plus the people making the movie/music make very little off of the CD/DVD/Blu Ray sale so they generally don't care if you steal it as long as you watch movies in theaters and go to concerts.

EDIT: Also a little fact sony was sued by Tv companies back when they came out VCR(beta max I can't remember what it was exactly) Karma sucks As they will lose the case against geohot and failoverflow.

Last edited:
No kidding, I'm still pissed about L4D and Dragon Age. Wasted $75 combined on those two turds.

image removed by mbentley - let's keep this place tasteful

You trollin?

While I wasn't a huge fan of L4D (not my type of game) I understand why so many people liked it. And as for DA - I'm pretty sure if a person likes Bioware games they would most likely enjoy Dragon Age.

Last edited by a moderator:
You trollin?

While I wasn't a huge fan of L4D (not my type of game) I understand why so many people liked it. And as for DA - I'm pretty sure if a person likes Bioware games they would most likely enjoy Dragon Age.

Thanks mbently for removing that pic. I edit my post in turn..

One of my favorite game franchises EVER, Love the Fallout series. Put out what I would consider turds... Fallout.. Not forgetting the games in between Fallout. BoS and Tactics..

Fallout 2 was a crashing, and expensive piece of poo for me. Fallout 3 just torked me to no end having install issues. Fallout (4?) N_V just will not run for me long term stable, with bugs and crashing.
So yes, some games are bloated piles of poo. Even if the principle and fun value for some is not what others think.
Another game I was really wanting, but turned out to be a turd: Spore. Played the heck out of, but overall it was a turd. Overall it was a waste of my money.

I understand ratbuddy's comment. He was not trolling. Since there is a bunch of games I see as turds, even though everyone seems to like them. Also some of the games are simply bloat with very little innovation or features. Or simply was left blarg after playing it.

The two franchises, I gave as examples... Just screamed for multiplayer.. But did not have it. Even though I do not care about multi one way or another. Both screamed for multi. Spore... MULTI!!! Fallout ...MULTI!!! (See they are screaming for it. :D )

Last edited:
Not trolling in the least. I bought into the hype on both of those games and didn't like them at all. Shoulda known when DAO had no demo that they had something to hide. It's just Baldur's Gate all over again minus the fun. My opinion, of course. I know a lot of people like it.

L4D, they should make it clear that it's only for multiplayer. I bought it thinking there was a single player campaign and it's basically just the multiplayer with bots. Boring as hell.

What people need to realize is that DRM only hurts paying customers. You make consumers jump through hoops while people who pirate games not feel any of the ramifications. This current model does not work at all. A black sheep needs to come along and set a new standard and watch as the other big 3 try desperately to catch up.

If a company released a game console that was able to load third party applications, copy games to the hard drive, and purchase games directly from an online store it would take over the gaming industry in a flash. I don't think honest people mind companies protecting their work as long it is non intrusive. If Steam was a gaming console they would be the leaders of the pack. Just a simple account verification and you are off to gaming.

Not trolling in the least. I bought into the hype on both of those games and didn't like them at all. Shoulda known when DAO had no demo that they had something to hide. It's just Baldur's Gate all over again minus the fun. My opinion, of course. I know a lot of people like it.

L4D, they should make it clear that it's only for multiplayer. I bought it thinking there was a single player campaign and it's basically just the multiplayer with bots. Boring as hell.

what system did you get both for? If for ps3/xbox360, i can see your point.

on PC, both are far and away 100 times superior to the console counterparts.

what system did you get both for? If for ps3/xbox360, i can see your point.

on PC, both are far and away 100 times superior to the console counterparts.

PC, and that reminds me of another Bioware screwup. Why the heck can't I use my 360 controller for Mass Effect and Dragon Age? They're just console ports, so they obviously have a workable gamepad scheme for these games... It's like they are catering to the 'real gamers use kb+mouse' elitists.

I hardly consider people that prefer to play a PC game using a KB/Mouse an elitist...

At least the answer for dragon age is because they added a lot of keyboard/mouse functionality to the game that was not present in the PS3/360 version, the games are actually quite different from one another in that way. I assume they did the same thing for ME/ME2 (haven't played them side-by-side to tell the difference) but I know that thy changed menus to work better with keyboard/mouse in some of the circumstances.

Back