• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disappointed with new build performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mk2racer

Hello all, I believe I am posting this in the right section. I recently built a new system and I'm a bit disappointed with the performance, here are the specs first:

ASUS M4AGTD-PRO/USB3
AMD Phenom-II x6 1090T Black Edition (Factory cooler)
Kingston HyperX 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 (2x4gb)
XFX Radeon HD4650 PCIe x16 (1Gb DDR2) running 2x 19" LCDs
WD 1TB Caviar Black sataII 3gb/s
WD 320Gb Caviar Black sataII 3gb/s
Thermaltake TR2-RX 450W PSU
Cooler Master Elite case with 3x 120mm fans (front, side, back)

I upgraded from a quad-core Intel Q9300 2.5ghz with 8gb of ddr2-800. I'm currently running this one at 3.6Ghz, so I really expected to see somewhat of a performance improvement. It boots faster, it benchmarks better, but the only game I really play is WoW (I know, I know...). I mostly do programming in VB, 3d rendering with Blender, some Photoshop work, and audio conversion.

My issue is this:
I think WoW runs even worse on this than it did on the old box. Out in the world (not even in busy cities), with "Fair" settings, I am barely getting 30-35fps. Max settings give me under 20fps :( This is at 1280x1024. Clearly with a system like this I should be getting MUCH better. Now I realize that this video card is not a high-performance card, but really?? I was running a geforce 8600gt before the caps blew up and it was pretty solid, the main reason I replaced it with this card was 2x DVI and s-video out (I stream NetFlix), but it's stats are all around better than the 8600 so what gives?

All of my drivers are current and installed, and I have the newest version of Catalyst.

As far as my o/c goes, when I bought this I didn't plan to push it much, but from the research I've done it will go quite far and I wanted something future-proof. I haven't done much overclocking since the days of having to o/c with jumpers (yeah), but this board/chip really got me back into wanting to do it again. With the stock cooler I was able to get to 3600 via multiplier no sweat and I stayed under 56c loaded. This RAM does not like going faster than 1333 at cas7, like 5% MAX before it pukes. After going to 333Mhz bus and lowering the multipliers, I got it to run pretty well at 3660Mhz at 1.2875v. Upping the voltage and dropping the ram to cas9, I can run stable at 4ghz but it heats up fast. Long story short, I just ordered the Scythe cooler and that is coming in Monday or Tuesday. The O/C bug bit again. :rock:

Now, I want to order (like I should have in the first place) some 1600 cas7 ram and really push this thing. They have some decent Corsair on Newegg for $160 for 2x4gb, so I think I'm going to get that. I was also considering adding another Caviar Black 1Tb and putting it in RAID-0 for some more speed. BUT, am I really going to see much of a difference??

Sorry for writing a book here, I just wanted to throw down all the background for consideration. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

CLIFFS:
Built this new system, performance is not what I expected. Possible video card issue or maybe something else? Details above.

Last edited:
Did you use the sane video card ? And did you do any chip comparisons for gaming nefore you built new rig ?

Quite a few people have seen some struggling with the 1090T. Apparently wow, which is very cpu dependent, doesn't play well with hex core. Lucky they got it to recognize quads.

However, try turning down your shadows and water detail. I've heard many people with ATI/AMD cards don't do so well with those two properties to max.

I read until here:

Hello all, I believe I am posting this in the right section. I recently built a new system and I'm a bit disappointed with the performance, here are the specs first:

ASUS M4AGTD-PRO/USB3
AMD Phenom-II x6 1090T Black Edition (Factory cooler)
Kingston HyperX 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 (2x4gb)

Very obvious...

You would have been better off just ocing the intel, and adding a better video card I think.

Well, looking back I think that is probably true. ;)

Although the main reason for the upgrade was the wifey needing a computer, so she got the Intel and I got some new goodies.

I'll try turning those down and give it a shot. I've been googling for a while and I see I'm not the only one with issues, fortunately. It's not really that big of a deal with Wow, but considering the gains elsewhere I was hoping for a bit more with it. I thought perhaps I was missing something somewhere, or there was a common issue.

Down the road I'll get myself a better graphics card I suppose, but really WoW is the only game I play. It's hard enough justifying PAYING MONTHLY to play after I've paid for the game, so buying another $100+ card is pretty much out for now. I guess I should have looked into video cards a bit more before I bought this one... No one's fault but my own, sadly.

On that note, any recommendations for a good card in the sub $150 range? And thank you for all the responses :)

I've been out of the WoW world for a while.

Will setting affinity help at all? How many cores can WoW utilize now? It used to run "well" on an old AMD64 3000+ and ATI 9800Pro after the first expansion. It boggles my mind that a hex core with a significantly better card is choking on it now.

On that note, any recommendations for a good card in the sub $150 range? And thank you for all the responses :)

A Radeon HD 6850 or Geforce GTX 460 are the closest 'good' video cards. They cost slightly more, around $170-190, but the next step down aren't much cheaper and give significantly less performance which makes them a less efficient upgrade over your current card. If you really absolutely cannot afford above $150, then it's best to wait until you save up a little more and/or find a deal for one of those cards (they sometimes sell for less).

Also look into some other MMO's if you feel paying $15 per month isn't justified. There's some good free to play mmo's recently starting to come out, and more in the future, some of them have good potential to be more fun than today's typical mmo formula. I actually played WoW for 4 years and it was fun during the first 1-2 years... but as they added more expansions I got very tired of the core gameplay (even though there were lots of little neat gadgety things and extras added, the basic fundamentals of gameplay didn't change much) and find that it's not worth paying for anymore.

You can't run a car on a pistachio and a copper wire any more than you can get good performance out of a 4650, ESPECIALLY on 2 monitors. Everything else will do you fine, but you need a better GPU.

A Radeon HD 6850 or Geforce GTX 460 are the closest 'good' video cards. They cost slightly more, around $170-190, but the next step down aren't much cheaper and give significantly less performance which makes them a less efficient upgrade over your current card. If you really absolutely cannot afford above $150, then it's best to wait until you save up a little more and/or find a deal for one of those cards (they sometimes sell for less).

Also look into some other MMO's if you feel paying $15 per month isn't justified. There's some good free to play mmo's recently starting to come out, and more in the future, some of them have good potential to be more fun than today's typical mmo formula. I actually played WoW for 4 years and it was fun during the first 1-2 years... but as they added more expansions I got very tired of the core gameplay (even though there were lots of little neat gadgety things and extras added, the basic fundamentals of gameplay didn't change much) and find that it's not worth paying for anymore.

I hear you there, I started playing a little while before Wrath came out and it gets to be extremely repetitious. I used to game a lot more years back when Duke Nukem, Quake II, Half Life, Star Craft, etc were all still popular but not so much anymore. I'll keep an eye on those cards and snag one if they go on sale sometime, thank you for the input.

You can't run a car on a pistachio and a copper wire any more than you can get good performance out of a 4650, ESPECIALLY on 2 monitors. Everything else will do you fine, but you need a better GPU.

Do you think there would be any advantage in running one monitor off the 4650 and one off the onboard graphics? Only one is used for gameplay, the other I usually just have winamp up, or browse the web if I'm waiting for something.

:welcome: to the forums.

I don't play WoW and never have. But I heard they did a recent upgrade to the graphics with cataclysm which would explain why the 4650 plays worse. Nevertheless the 4650 is not a gaming card, well, at least not anymore.

If you're low on budget get a 5670, that will get you going.

Click here for video card comparison.

5670 512MB
5670 1GB

Well, looking back I think that is probably true. ;)

Although the main reason for the upgrade was the wifey needing a computer, so she got the Intel and I got some new goodies.

I'll try turning those down and give it a shot. I've been googling for a while and I see I'm not the only one with issues, fortunately. It's not really that big of a deal with Wow, but considering the gains elsewhere I was hoping for a bit more with it. I thought perhaps I was missing something somewhere, or there was a common issue.

Down the road I'll get myself a better graphics card I suppose, but really WoW is the only game I play. It's hard enough justifying PAYING MONTHLY to play after I've paid for the game, so buying another $100+ card is pretty much out for now. I guess I should have looked into video cards a bit more before I bought this one... No one's fault but my own, sadly.

Ah the old I get something new and the wife gets an upgrade too...been there done that...

I get a new 24" monitor and voila, she gets a new 22 for instance!... :salute:

You would have been better off just ocing the intel, and adding a better video card I think.

Indeed. I sit around the same specs as your old one. But with gtx260 SLI. I thought of going with the build you did but after much debating with myself back and for I chose to wait till years end and the new intel cpu's and AMD line.

Without reading much down in the thread first glaring thing I saw was the gpu you used.

it might have been a better idea to sit with the rig you had. Just my opinion though and don't mean to step on toes.

There are some issues with WoW regarding AMD processors and video cards. I had a Matrix 5870 previous to my 6970 and it was only getting about 30 fps and would drop to 0 if I panned.

I don't play WoW anymore and with how beefy the AMD cards are it wasn't enough reason to move to Nvidia.

GPU is the issue here, its only a small upgrade from your 8600gt, also check the FS forums for options on a GPU...

Back