• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Ignore-bad batch of fans]Yate loon saga continues.... dont buy open corner!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, some of you may know the knock off yate loon scandal or what ever you wanna call it. Basically it revolved around certain vendors carrying cheap knock off yate loons.

That aside i have come upon a new fold in the yate loon story...

A coupla months ago i bought 3 open cornered D12SL-12's they have the new "curved" style blade design. I was very disapointed when i got them as they had an absolute HORRID motor clicking noise, so i never used them. Well today i got a lil bored and thought to myself, well i have 2 straight blade style yates in my main rig, i could take the fan blade assembly off the crappy motor curved bladed yates and pop em on my original yates and have the best of both worlds.... a QUIET motor with a more efficient blade design.

This is what i found...

Curved bladed fan assembly on left, old straight blade on the right... notice n e thing different besides the blades?

Thread title should read, do not swap round fan blades with straight fan blades as the bearing is a different size (and thus motor too). Also consider the fans were manufactured 18 months apart, The 3 digit number on the sticker will tell you the month/year they were manufactured. The straight edge ones are from 2005/2006 and the round ones above are from Sept (ish) 2007.
A coupla months ago i bought 3 open cornered D12SL-12's they have the new "curved" style blade design.
14 Months ago to be exact, and if they click then they were from a batch of 1000 fans that only 1 box was sold and 900+ fans ended up being sent back. Since then none of the fans click, whether its open or closed corner.

Also its not an 80mm motor, its a 25mm motor and any fan blade with the right size bearing will likely fit.

UH OH! I just bought two high speed yates from jab-tech... but I'd have a HELL of a time taking them down now that they're mounted and attached to my 5 1/4" fan controller.

I'll email John at Jab-Tech and ask him what the deal is.

I'd don't know how I'd feel about having an 80mm motor in my 120mm fan...

Medium and High Speed have a larger 30mm (1 1/4" ish) motor .. If you want crack one open and I'll send you a replacement although you shouldn't break it just opening it up.

Thread title should read, do not swap round fan blades with straight fan blades as the bearing is a different size (and thus motor too). Also consider the fans were manufactured 18 months apart, The 3 digit number on the sticker will tell you the month/year they were manufactured. The straight edge ones are from 2005/2006 and the round ones above are from Sept (ish) 2007.

14 Months ago to be exact, and if they click then they were from a batch of 1000 fans that only 1 box was sold and 900+ fans ended up being sent back. Since then none of the fans click, whether its open or closed corner.

Also its not an 80mm motor, its a 25mm motor and any fan blade with the right size bearing will likely fit.

The bearing / shaft size is size is exactly the same between the straight blade, curved blade and my 80mm fan assembly....

oh so i was not clued in on them being sent back and not refunded my money / sent out good ones even though i remember emailing you guys about the massive clicking issue .... thanks.

Thanks for posting and clearing that up, jabtek! :thup: It is really nice to have vendors such as you that actively participate in our forums, besides giving stellar service and good pricing from your store. You don't know how much it means to have support from a quality vendor such as you right here on the forums.:cool:

Still, to sell a known bad product and not follow up with your customers is terrible service, as Nd4spd alluded to.

That's just plain dirty imo.

Still, to sell a known bad product and not follow up with your customers is terrible service, as Nd4spd alluded to.

Possibly slipped through? Why are we jumping to conclusions and stabbing JabTek in the face again? He is a good guy...

Possibly slipped through? Why are we jumping to conclusions and stabbing JabTek in the face again? He is a good guy...

You are correct, I withdraw my previous assumption that they didn't recall the fans that were sold. I don't believe that I have purchased from them yet, but they do have a very reputable history.

Did nd4spdbh2 get in contact with jabtek either here or on his website? If not, then how should he know that the fans that nd4spdbh2 were defective? There might have been some fans in that shipment that didn't have the clicking noise you know. I personally have received fans that had some that clicked and some that were perfectly fine from another vendor. And I didn't go saying that just because that vendor couldn't read my mind that he was giving poor service.:confused: And I damn sure didn't accuse him of playing dirty either. :mad: Before making a statement such as this you need to know all the specifics.

But you can buy from whoever you choose, so if you think that Jab-tech gives bad service then you deserve to go buy from someone else. I've never gotten anything but great service from Jab-tech, Petra's and Sidewinder Computers, who are the 3 main go-to vendors I look at for my cooling needs.

mudd

oh im not saying he is a bad guy at all he provides excellent service...

im just saying i know i emaild him back and forth a coupla times after i got my fans and told him about the problem.. hell i was one of the first people to buy thoes fans as i think they were the FIRST batch of curved bladed d12SL-12's he got ... when i got them i was sorely disappointed cus they had horid motor ticking... and thus i have NEVER used them in anything... and now come to find out he only sold less than 100 of them to return the other 900 to his vendor... and then not tell his customers about the obvious defective product... cmon.

If i woulda known that these were defective fans this thread would have never been created...

Last edited:
I applaud J-T for posting. I'm not one to say fans J-T sells are good or fans are bad, but I will tell you that their customer service is dang nice.

Did nd4spdbh2 get in contact with jabtek either here or on his website? If not, then how should he know that the fans that nd4spdbh2 were defective? There might have been some fans in that shipment that didn't have the clicking noise you know. I personally have received fans that had some that clicked and some that were perfectly fine from another vendor. And I didn't go saying that just because that vendor couldn't read my mind that he was giving poor service.:confused: And I damn sure didn't accuse him of playing dirty either. :mad: Before making a statement such as this you need to know all the specifics.

But you can buy from whoever you choose, so if you think that Jab-tech gives bad service then you deserve to go buy from someone else. I've never gotten anything but great service from Jab-tech, Petra's and Sidewinder Computers, who are the 3 main go-to vendors I look at for my cooling needs.

mudd

oh im not saying he is a bad guy at all he provides excellent service...

im just saying i know i emaild him back and forth a coupla times after i got my fans and told him about the problem.. hell i was one of the first people to buy thoes fans as i think they were the FIRST batch of curved bladed d12SL-12's he got ... when i got them i was sorely disappointed cus they had horid motor ticking... and thus i have NEVER used them in anything... and now come to find out he only sold less than 100 of them to return the other 900 to his vendor... and then not tell his customers about the obvious defective product... cmon.

If i woulda known that these were defective fans this thread would have never been created...

I was just speaking my opinion on what I read. If you are taking that as fact, then I've said nothing wrong.

Guys Guys chill .. AFAIK everyone who contacted us about the clicking issue got replacement fans, not all the fans were bad, something like 50/50 but we sent 90%+ back and got new ones in exchange. The 10% that shipped, lots were replaced but not all, we had no way of knowing who got good and who got bad. Also consider this was November 2007, its not anything recent.

On a side note, the straight bladed fans right at the top are from 2006, this style fan was what started the whole 'knock off' thing .. Its nice to see that a cheap $3 lasted two and a half years.

nd4spdbh2, I'll replace the clicky yates you have with new ones if you promise to throw them away. PM me your shipping address.

Guys Guys chill .. AFAIK everyone who contacted us about the clicking issue got replacement fans, not all the fans were bad, something like 50/50 but we sent 90%+ back and got new ones in exchange. The 10% that shipped, lots were replaced but not all, we had no way of knowing who got good and who got bad. Also consider this was November 2007, its not anything recent.

On a side note, the straight bladed fans right at the top are from 2006, this style fan was what started the whole 'knock off' thing .. Its nice to see that a cheap $3 lasted two and a half years.

nd4spdbh2, I'll replace the clicky yates you have with new ones if you promise to throw them away. PM me your shipping address.

:thup:

Cool deal. There's some good customer service :beer:

I recently purchased 4 mediums from Jab-Tech and received great products and service. As seen here great vendor who will make it right. Many times the vendor has no way of knowing b/c no one expects them to test or disassembles every fan.

Guys everything has been sorted, thanks jabtek.

It turns out i recieved a bad batch of the yate loons originally. had i known this before hand this post woulda never EVER been created, its obvious that this problem has been fixed at yate loon and that the smaller motor has NO side effects to the quality of the fan.

Since this thread was all started due to a bad batch of fans and everything has been sorted out, I am going to close this thread and let it do like an old soldier and fade away.:D

I'm glad that everything got sorted out. :thup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back