• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New full AMD Phenom build, help with parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mdogs444

Hey all - I'm finally building a new rig. Can you help me analyze the parts of pre-picked so far? Thanks!

Mountain Mods UFO Case
Biostar T560 AM2+/AM2 Motherboard
Phenom 9500
2x2gb Muskin DDR2-800 memory
2x500gb WD SataII HD's
1x320gb WD SataII HD
HD-DVD/BD Drive
Lite-on DVDRW
EVGA 8800GT 512mb
SB-XFI Audio
PCP&C 750w PSU
2x4 fan Rheobus
Acer 22" LCD w/ HDCP

Danger Den BI Radiator 3x120
Swiftech Pump
Danger Den CPU, Chipset Blocks
Koolance Video Block

Thanks for the help!

You should wate and get the 9600 BE, suppose to be out real soon. I can't get anywhere with my 9500 OC'ing, but I'm not very experienced at it.

No good reason to get a koolance GPU block. Just get a Maze4/5 or MCW60.

Also, its better to get 1gbx4 than 2gbx2

u guys missed the most important mistake with that list...

the biostar is NOT a true AM2+ socket, u need to go with a 790 chipset

Hey all - I'm finally building a new rig. Can you help me analyze the parts of pre-picked so far? Thanks!

Lian Li V1200b OR v1000b (PERSONAL CHOICE here,I prefer Li Li's)
Asus or Gigabyte or MSI 790FX
Phenom 9600 BE
2x2gb Mushkin DDR2-800 memory.I would go with Corsair or Crucial Tracers/oe straight Ballistix's
2x500gb WD SataII HD's (Grab the Seagate 7200.11's,they are faster)
1x 150Gb Raptor (On sale currently 2 NCIX for 190$)
HD-DVD/BD Drive
Samsung 20X SATA dvd rw (I have both,and the SAMMY is better)
EVGA or BFG 8800GTS 512mb (,higher possible oc's on the vram,faster and more SP's,better pcb,more v-regs,better overclocking)
Audigy 2ZS used
Corsair HX620 (better psu)
2x4 fan Rheobus
Acer 22" LCD w/ HDCP

Danger Den BI Radiator 3x120
Swiftech Pump
Danger Den CPU, Chipset Blocks
Koolance Video Block

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to be real honest here.
Get everything on your list but the CPU and MOBO. I see you like to OC the silicon out of chips :thup:
The Phenoms are great for just putting around are running scientific or graphics work. Ocing is not in the bag at this time. INQ is saying AMD may not have the BBEs until after March. For gaming, you already have an arse hauler that may do 3.2 with new upgrades. Upgrade the ram to DDR1000 or 1066. Get it now while it's cheap. Microsoft and the Industry is going to shove Vista down everyones throats. This will drive ram prices up.

Get everything on your list but the CPU and MOBO. I see you like to OC the silicon out of chips :thup:
The Phenoms are great for just putting around are running scientific or graphics work. Ocing is not in the bag at this time. INQ is saying AMD may not have the BBEs until after March. For gaming, you already have an arse hauler that may do 3.2 with new upgrades. Upgrade the ram to DDR1000 or 1066. Get it now while it's cheap. Microsoft and the Industry is going to shove Vista down everyones throats. This will drive ram prices up.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, Alabama did you try the Phenom on the KA3 MVP board? I just snagged a new Phenom 9600 for $215. I may just sell it, since the KA3 is what i have, and my current X2 is the 5000+ BE @ 3.15.

Back to the original topic, I have read two reports on the M3A Asus board, it oc's pretty good. You would then have an up to date mobo, probably more important than the Phenom cpu would be. I have seen it for $85-$95. I have the Acer monitor, it is nice, but I like the Hanns-G better after seeing it in person.

My thoughts exactly. But if you're all in for performance, do yourself a favor, and get an intel

The only ECS board that I know from Emailing ECS that supports Phenom is that 770 board they have on Newegg for about 80 bucks.

Dan, I left that open should the OP later want that option. Performance is where it's at but as much as I like it I really wanted the Phenom to be there. Once Phenom is fixed we will see better results. The main thing is he can almost double his performance by upgrading all the rest now.

Ok guys, so I changed my "wish list" and ordered everything last night. I hope it gets here soon....

Moutain Mods U2-UFO Case
HD-DVD/BD-DVD Rom Drive
Sony DVD Burner
AMD X2 5000+ Black Edition
DFI 790FX Motherboard
2x Sapphire Radeon 3870 video cards
2x (2x1GB) Mushkin Cas4 DDR2 800 Memory kit sets (total of 4gb)
3x 7200.11 500GB drives
PCP&C 750 Quad power supply

WC'ing:
Maze CPU block
2x Koolance 8750 blocks
DD 3x120mm radiator
Eheim 450gph pump

Im hoping to do some mad overclocking on this processor - maybe 3.6+GHZ if im lucky?!?!

I think you are going to love it. It'll outperform the Phenom by at least 20% except where the apps can truly run four cores which are very few at this time. By summer we should see new Phenoms hopefully sooner.

I think you are going to love it. It'll outperform the Phenom by at least 20% except where the apps can truly run four cores which are very few at this time. By summer we should see new Phenoms hopefully sooner.

That was my thought. Since its an AM2+ Board, i can run the cheapo 5000+ black edition until a good clocking version of Phenom comes out, then just upgrade the processor.

I just hope I get a good 5000+ that can OC well.

2 Crappy coolance blocks, and an old CPU block?

These from a previous w/c or no?

Well I dont know much about watercooling, but my main goal was to have a close to silent system.

The koolance blocks i got are these: http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=579

The waterblock i guess maybe isn't a "maze" series, its an MC series which i assumed meant the new series of Maze, but i guess it means "multi core": http://dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=294&cat=92&page=1

Back